• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One More Suggestion for New Head Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

Money...yes, but lets not discount the State of Florida.  I would imagine the State in which we live in is a big draw as well for many.  Heck, I will pick Tampa, FL over Dayton, Ohio any day, then add in the money that we can payout.  Quality of life is a big factor for coaches when deciding a place to move their families.  I think USF has a lot to offer and I hope we do not undermine ourselves. 

My dad brought in a doctor onto his staff from Dayton a few years ago. The guy dropped everything and came despite other opportunities. Dayton's an ordinary rust belt city. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Welcome usfbulls22381.  Let me know if you need any help with any part of the forum.

I need help with smazza. Does this offer apply to me too?

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

USF is a prime job! We won't accept mediocrity and we are willing to pay big bucks! We have a lot of potential, any strong coach would be a fool not to accept!

However, let's see if the new AD and this search firm can live up to their respective names!?!

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I think Dayton is a better job than usf

they have a rich tradition

if he leaves Dayton it will be for a p5 conference

Tom ostrom is an asst coach for Dayton.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  9
  • Days Won:  0

I'm still holding out for a different coach. Dave Rice doesn't do it for me. He took a pretty decent Lon Kruger team and maintained it. We need someone to build this program through strong recruiting. I see John Pelphry or Tom Ostrom (or both) to be ideal candidates. They have strong ties to Florida athletes and we're missing out on a lot of talent in our own state. Rice doesn't seem to have any ties to Florida. I'm hoping UNLV counter offers our deal and Rice stays. We'll see how this all pans out. What are every else's thoughts?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I'm still holding out for a different coach. Dave Rice doesn't do it for me. He took a pretty decent Lon Kruger team and maintained it. We need someone to build this program through strong recruiting. I see John Pelphry or Tom Ostrom (or both) to be ideal candidates. They have strong ties to Florida athletes and we're missing out on a lot of talent in our own state. Rice doesn't seem to have any ties to Florida. I'm hoping UNLV counter offers our deal and Rice stays. We'll see how this all pans out. What are every else's thoughts?

Rice has been able to recruit 3 5-Stars and 4 4-star players to UNLV, spread out all over the country.   In football I defidently think we should be recruiting in our own backyard but in basketball it's all about getting 3 or 4 of the best possible players that you can from wherever you can.     Ostrom would be an interesting pick too.   Hiring a guy that has been around a whole lot of winning is not a bad thing by any means. 

We'll see. I think its a lot easier for a guy like Rice to recruit players to UNLV since he played there and has direct ties. Not to mention, it's gotta be easy to recruit guys to come out to Las Vegas. I was hoping for a hire that would build our program so we don't miss out on players in our back yard like Michael Frazier II to name one. So many great players in our state, I just think that's how we should begin the building of our program. Football used that same stategy a few years back, stealing recruits from the other Florida schools. It will take a lot of selling to get the players to come play for us.

With all the talk of UNLV offering an extension to Rice, and the way Dayton played Florida so well, I can only think that Ostrom is a great choice. Pelphry might think he's too big for our program now. There have been quite a few articles as of late talking about Ostrom. The link below caught my eye. Even though it didn't pan out like Dayton planned, I think Dayton did a pretty good scouting job on the short notice they had. Florida was just the better team in this situation. They have probably the least overall talent still playing, but I don't think any team plays better as a unit than them. Dayton more than had their hands full. Either way, I think a Pelphry and Ostrom reunion here would be a great fit. If not that, let's go for Ostrom, save some money by not going after the big name coaches and wrap up a relentless recruiter and a dedicated coach. Just my two cents.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20140329/ARTICLES/140329542/1136/gatorssoftball?p=all&tc=pgall

This was the article I was referencing in the above post. Talking about Donovan going against one of his ex assistants.