• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will we pay a new basketball coach more than our football coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

What are the thoughts of going higher in Mens Basketball coaching salaries, when in fact, it's not what drives dollars or fans in the area?

Is it a must do?

That's a good question .... but if it's not what drives dollars or fans, why bother to make the move now? If they don't make a "splash" move with the hire, to generate immediate interest, I'm not seeing not giving Stan one more year.

He had 7 years. We finished as one of the worst teams in major basketball. We have a new AD. It's not a hard concept.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

What BBB is saying is if this isn't a splash hire the rush to fire isn't there.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Desperate times require desperate measures.

I believe JewBull and others that think we'll pay $2 million + for a coach, but I remain stunned.

I think a lot of Bull fans are going to complain if we don't make a "splash hire".

That's not necessary in college basketball.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

What are the thoughts of going higher in Mens Basketball coaching salaries, when in fact, it's not what drives dollars or fans in the area?

Is it a must do?

That's a good question .... but if it's not what drives dollars or fans, why bother to make the move now? If they don't make a "splash" move with the hire, to generate immediate interest, I'm not seeing not giving Stan one more year.

He had 7 years. We finished as one of the worst teams in major basketball. We have a new AD. It's not a hard concept.

This 7 year argument is just plain bs, Joe. Stan got us back to the postseason in his 3rd year, best season in the history of the program in his 5th year, both at one of the toughest jobs in college basketball  ... Last season was going to be a train wreck from the get go considering what we lost and had to replace them with. This season was going to be an unknown with the kids coming in and took a big hit when AC couldn't go. I do think that we underachieved and shouldn't have been at the very bottom of the conference but it's just one year. 

He gets facilities and pulls in the, arguably, best hoops recruiting class in USF history (2 of which haven't even played yet). This year signs the supposedly best recruit since he's been here. I kind of understand the knee jerk reaction of the move but a pretty compelling case could have been made for giving him at least one more year .... It's not a hard concept.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

I dont think CWT would expect a deal right now.

Not if we pay on W's. But that's never been the case here with football

Is it a must do?

This 7 year argument is just plain bs, Joe. Stan got us back to the postseason in his 3rd year, best season in the history of the program in his 5th year, both at one of the toughest jobs in college basketball ... Last season was going to be a train wreck from the get go considering what we lost and had to replace them with. This season was going to be an unknown with the kids coming in and took a big hit when AC couldn't go. I do think that we underachieved and shouldn't have been at the very bottom of the conference but it's just one year.

He gets facilities and pulls in the, arguably, best hoops recruiting class in USF history (2 of which haven't even played yet). This year signs the supposedly best recruit since he's been here. I kind of understand the knee jerk reaction of the move but a pretty compelling case could have been made for giving him at least one more year .... It's not a hard concept.

I always said I'd understand if they brought him back, it wasn't a clear cut firing situation.

It was the same story with Heaths teams every year, stagnant offense, even when he went to the NCAAs. Every preseason we'd get "this is the year" story.

I don't need an amazing offense to be happy. But when you're winning 9 and 12 games with losses to UCSC and Detroit while boasting a brand new arena and state of the art facility, all while looking inept on that side of the ball? It's time to move on.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I just can't see how we can afford a big named coach for MBB when we are paying a good deal to the buyout of Holtz and Heath.

The more relevant question might be "can we afford NOT to?"

The past four years have been a pretty critical period for the musical chairs. There won't be many more chances at the gold ring. We really have to strike while the iron is hot. Somebody help me out here, I'm all out of metaphors...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

I just can't see how we can afford a big named coach for MBB when we are paying a good deal to the buyout of Holtz and Heath.

The more relevant question might be "can we afford NOT to?"

The past four years have been a pretty critical period for the musical chairs. There won't be many more chances at the gold ring. We really have to strike while the iron is hot. Somebody help me out here, I'm all out of metaphors...

If the gold ring you're talking about is movin on up to a P5, my guess is this hire will have absolutely zero bearing on that ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

It would be nice if we could have one coach leave and us not feel the need to pay drastically more money to the next guy.