• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Would firing Heath be another classic USF mistake?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Looks to be more of the same or even a step backward from Heath.

Heath was national rookie head coach of the year, and 2 time conference coach of the year, including once in the BE.

Either you bring in a big name, proven successful coach like Howland or Pearl or you stay the course. We aren't rebuilding here we are at a point where we are trying to get over the hump. the foundation is already set.

If we make a change you need it to be to someone that has an understanding of what needs to be done to win at the highest level.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

slick loves promoting anything from the state of GA, be it players or coaches

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

re the OP, looks like we'll find out, since it's now official.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,261
  • Days Won:  1

I think we need to hire someone big even if it is a short term solution to help raise our profile up. Looking at SMU with Larry Brown he will not be there much longer but there profile has been raised significantly thus they will be more appealing for a better long term coach. I believe we need to do the same with the new coach. Go with someone for a short term solution and raise our prestige making us more appealing to other coaches and getting a better long term coach down the road.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

I think we need to hire someone big even if it is a short term solution to help raise our profile up. Looking at SMU with Larry Brown he will not be there much longer but there profile has been raised significantly thus they will be more appealing for a better long term coach. I believe we need to do the same with the new coach. Go with someone for a short term solution and raise our prestige making us more appealing to other coaches and getting a better long term coach down the road.

Maybe Pat Riley?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688

We need someone with some NCAA tournament experience and track record of consistency. We need the biggest name we can get.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We need someone with some NCAA tournament experience and track record of consistency. We need the biggest name we can get.

**** the torpedoes, full steam ahead.

Make the commitment first, THEN figure out how to pay for it.

After thinking about it for a while, Harlan better make a wise choice and understand that the foundation is already in place. The wrong hire has the chance to screw things up for an even longer time.

If a couple of our key young guys opt to transfer or Holston decides to not come here, next year could be screwed up and instead of building on the foundation in place we are forced to rebuild again.

Reminds of Holtz taking over from Leavitt. Instead of building on the youth in place, a couple of key guys left early (JPP would have gone any way), Holtz tried to change BJ and the offense and we have been screwed up since.

I have confidence Harlan will get it right.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

I believe it will be a terrible mistake by Judy and the boosters if they dont get the hire right. Heath put in some hard work and time to build this program with good recruiting classes. All that can be gone real fast and we will be back into the McCullum days of having a team with no talent and walk ons playing tons of minutes due to have a thin rooster. I hope Judy and the boosters prove me wrong and hit a home run on the next hire for hoops. 

Whoever it is really needs to retain the core group of Egbunu, Perry, Collins and make sure Holston gets here.

Allen will stay. At this point, the rest are either bodies or unproven yet.