• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hold on to your socks... Realignment may be a commin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

Can we change the title of this thread? The article has nothing to do with realignment. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Maybe old-school, but I'm with Charsibb. I'd lose a lot of interest in CFB if they start paying for play and making it even MORE of a business (and less about pride). I dunno, maybe I'm just jealous--they already have so many more advantages than I did to get through college. Sigh, I hate this topic, sorry Skin.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Added thought, they can't create a criteria for the new division that would exclude USF and several others.  Such a criteria would cause current P5 teams to fall below said criteria.  So, it would basically be a wash for USF other than we'd probably end up in another new American style conference

Sure they can. They just drop from the NCAA and form their own governing body.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Can we change the title of this thread? The article has nothing to do with realignment.

No

:-)

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Off the top of my head, a majority of our signees had offers from P5 schools. I would venture to say that a lot of them would have signed elsewhere if they were offered money to play. We would definitely not have a top 40 recruiting class. The main variable in this equation is how much the P5 schools will be paying their athletes. If it's only $100/month then it may have very little impact. If it's $2000/month then we will never be able to compete with any of the P5 schools in terms of recruiting. 

first of all you have no idea who offered our players. neither does rivals. schools don't hand out that kind of information. even if they did they don't distinguish what type of offer it is. plenty of guys are given conditional offers. "if we don't get this guy and that guy then you're who we want" type of offers. secondly if they do poach a few from us then we can just replace them with the guys that they are now unable to sign. they don't have an unlimited amount of scholarships to give out.

That's not realignment, that's the splitting off of the have from the have-nots. And asking other schools to join them just cuts into each school's piece of the pie. The incentive to do that will be even less because they will be paying athletes. So it also means that USF will have to recruit against schools that pay their athletes.

it won't make that much difference in recruiting. there are only so many positions at P5 schools. they have always had an advantage in recruiting. they always get the top players. it's the 2nd or 3rd tier players we sign. there isn't some magical dropoff in talent once the P5 schools fill their quota. just because rivals says some guy is #250 doesn't mean #251 isn't just as good or better.

With there being 66+ power 5 schools around, I doubt USF would be able to even sniff a top 300 recruit. Why would a kid turn down money? Judging by some of the twitter pages, that is all a lot of these kids are interested in. Unless we get into a better conference (or the NCAA changes their rules), this would be an absolute dagger to our football program!

many of the P5 schools don't take academic risks on top athletes. Northwestern, Vandy, Duke, etc. even if an academic risk was willing to play for pay there, the school isn't interested.

we aren't getting many of the top 300 recruits now. neither are our direct competitors. it wouldn't be a dagger at all. I bet we would hardly notice. might mean we miss on a few guys but those would fill spots of other players that are ending up at P5 schools now. they would become available. limited spaces in P5. not much difference in say #300 recruit and #320 recruit.

Could not disagree more.  This sets up a new league and we would be relegated to a new AA status.

I never said anything about being relegated to a lower division. I said it wouldn't affect recruiting all that much and it wouldn't. there are only so many scholarships to go around. if the lower division had 10 guys poached because of this then there would be 10 guys that did sign with P5 schools that are now available.

personally I think recruiting rankings are bunk but there is something like 7 total 4 stars that weren't signed by P5 teams. you honestly think it would cripple lower division teams by losing them? the top teams already get 95% of the top players.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

That's not realignment, that's the splitting off of the have from the have-nots. And asking other schools to join them just cuts into each school's piece of the pie. The incentive to do that will be even less because they will be paying athletes. So it also means that USF will have to recruit against schools that pay their athletes.

it won't make that much difference in recruiting. there are only so many positions at P5 schools. they have always had an advantage in recruiting. they always get the top players. it's the 2nd or 3rd tier players we sign. there isn't some magical dropoff in talent once the P5 schools fill their quota. just because rivals says some guy is #250 doesn't mean #251 isn't just as good or better.

With there being 66+ power 5 schools around, I doubt USF would be able to even sniff a top 300 recruit. Why would a kid turn down money? Judging by some of the twitter pages, that is all a lot of these kids are interested in. Unless we get into a better conference (or the NCAA changes their rules), this would be an absolute dagger to our football program!

many of the P5 schools don't take academic risks on top athletes. Northwestern, Vandy, Duke, etc. even if an academic risk was willing to play for pay there, the school isn't interested.

we aren't getting many of the top 300 recruits now. neither are our direct competitors. it wouldn't be a dagger at all. I bet we would hardly notice. might mean we miss on a few guys but those would fill spots of other players that are ending up at P5 schools now. they would become available. limited spaces in P5. not much difference in say #300 recruit and #320 recruit.

Could not disagree more.  This sets up a new league and we would be relegated to a new AA status.

I never said anything about being relegated to a lower division. I said it wouldn't affect recruiting all that much and it wouldn't. there are only so many scholarships to go around. if the lower division had 10 guys poached because of this then there would be 10 guys that did sign with P5 schools that are now available.

personally I think recruiting rankings are bunk but there is something like 7 total 4 stars that weren't signed by P5 teams. you honestly think it would cripple lower division teams by losing them? the top teams already get 95% of the top players.

Denial is a hell of a drug.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,125
  • Days Won:  6

I think it would cripple our recuiting efforts because we would be relegated to a lower division.  We win some recruiting battles with the major P5 teams because kids want playing time.  We win a lot of recruiting battles with lesser P5 teams because we are (or were) pretty eqaul with them.  Now any player that is committed to us will be available for poaching by the likes of Wake Forrest or Duke or Pitt etc.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

The question becomes, IF a school like USF agrees to the changes, and pays players (and I'm 99% sure USF has already said they will)... are we still locked out because we don't belong to a P5?

What if all schools in the AAC agree to pay... does it become the P6 by default?

Denial is a hell of a drug.

what am I denying?

fact is non P5 teams don't get the better recruits now.

sure the lower division might lose say 40 recruits but they will be replaced by guys that are currently on P5 rosters.

you see they have to make space by not signing guys in order to steal guys.