• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football: Rebuilding the offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I'm having fun watching old games from when we could beat other teams.

And it makes me wonder if it might take another year to rebuild everything, a total of three years.

Here's how I understand it. Please chime in with your interpretation:

Leavitt's system

Athletic QB: Routes are not complicated. Just find the open receiver -there will be a bunch. Runs with the ball often.

Receivers: not a lot of timing plays and complicated routes. Told to just get open.

RB: not a lot of holes. QB runs to take pressure off the RB

O-line: Pass blocking was good. Run blocking atrocious.

CWT's system

Pocket QB: complicated plays, timing plays, and plays based on opponent's defensive schemes.

Receivers: must be on the same page as the QB. Lots of routes to learn. Defense recognition.

RB: Must know plays and where to run based on the play.

O-line: both the pass and the run are essential.

We've looked really bad because of any number of factors:

(1) We didn't have the personnel for this system. (2) The players have not had enough time to get used to the plays and each other in the system. (3) The players made mistakes in executing the system.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Somehow, for the first season and into the second, the offense was working for USF under Holtz. The first 4 games of 2011, USF scored a combined 182 points. That's like 3x what USF did in 2013. There was really only one blow out loss in 2011 and for one loss, USF scored over 30 points and in two more losses over 20. So for at least half the time Holtz was at USF the offense was working.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I think he's talking about Taggart.

Holtz major failing was defense.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think he's talking about Taggart.

Holtz major failing was defense.

The other major problem Holtz had was his situational playcalling. He was poor at managing the clock which put the team in bad situations at bad times and he called the stupidest plays and the worst times.

BJ Daniels' athleticsm bailed them out many times.

Holtz' offense put up better stats, but it wasn't winning football.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Holtz would probably make an excellent OC.

He was fired from his last OC job at South Carolina. By his father. Well technically demoted.

Edited by SANJAY

Holtz would probably make an excellent OC.

He was fired from his last OC job at South Carolina. By his father. Well technically demoted.

Actually when he was fired he was the QB coach, not the OC anymore. And your assumption is that he didn't learn anything from his time in CUSA, which included winning back to back championships?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He was the OC for 4 years. Then the next year he was just the QB coach. That's a demotion. Where he worked for his father.

As for learning anything he was 0-5 without BJ Daniels as a starter. What ever he learned did not translate to usf. We'll see what translates at Louisiana tech but I will bet that he is fired before his contract expires there.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

If Holtz had one just a few of those close losses his first year he would still be here.

• Upvote 1

He was the OC for 4 years. Then the next year he was just the QB coach. That's a demotion. Where he worked for his father.

As for learning anything he was 0-5 without BJ Daniels as a starter. What ever he learned did not translate to usf. We'll see what translates at Louisiana tech but I will bet that he is fired before his contract expires there.

Not very convincing. Taggart got even less out of last seasons back ups in 2013 than Holtz did in 2012. Maybe he should be demoted to DC.

Edited by slick1ru2