• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Graduation Rates reaches an all-time record

atticman

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

This is/was one of the big things holding back our AAU "ballot" right?

Student/Teacher ratio is still pretty dreadful, and that's another indicator measured by the AAU. This improvement is a great step in the right direction, USF needs to continue getting better.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

In 2009, USF launched a renewed focus on this issue, forming a university-wide task force to ensure USF maximized its dedication to student success. Innovative policies and practices were designed to raise graduation and retention rates, reduce student debt, increase student satisfaction with the university, accelerate progression to careers or post-graduate programs and make sure students leave USF with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed.

Those strategies included: expanding living and learning communities, requiring freshmen to live on campus, instituting a professional advising system, implementing a new degree audit system, redesigning courses to improve passing rates and learning outcome, expanding on-campus employment opportunities, opening a revolutionary new Science, Math, Technology, and Research Lab that provides state-of-the-art teaching technology to students, expanding study areas across campus, and making more tutors available.

All those things are great, but if you want to increase graduation rate all you have to do is increase admission standards.

In 2009, USF launched a renewed focus on this issue, forming a university-wide task force to ensure USF maximized its dedication to student success. Innovative policies and practices were designed to raise graduation and retention rates, reduce student debt, increase student satisfaction with the university, accelerate progression to careers or post-graduate programs and make sure students leave USF with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed.

Those strategies included: expanding living and learning communities, requiring freshmen to live on campus, instituting a professional advising system, implementing a new degree audit system, redesigning courses to improve passing rates and learning outcome, expanding on-campus employment opportunities, opening a revolutionary new Science, Math, Technology, and Research Lab that provides state-of-the-art teaching technology to students, expanding study areas across campus, and making more tutors available.

All those things are great, but if you want to increase graduation rate all you have to do is increase admission standards.

Admission standards have been inching up as well.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

Actually USF acceptance rate is lower than a lot of universities with higher rankings.

• Upvote 1

Here are some acceptance rates for discussion (rounded):

38 USF

64 Ohio state

46 UCF

39 Florida

54 FSU

67 Texas A&M

47 Texas

61 Purdue

55 Georgia Tech

37 Michigan

70 Virginia Tech

22 UCLA

74 Oregon

82 Mizzou (seriously?)

Now... it's pretty obvious that USF must have a lot of applicants relative to some of the other universities. Being in a larger state somewhat explains that, but we also have lower acceptance rates than FSU or UCF so we must be getting more applications.

What should we do, increase standards even more and only accept 20-30% of applicants? USF is already just as good as anywhere else for many majors.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

Transfers need to be addressed. Most of those that I saw struggling were CC transfers especially when it came to college level writing. Absolutely horrendous.

• Upvote 1

Transfers need to be addressed. Most of those that I saw struggling were CC transfers especially when it came to college level writing. Absolutely horrendous.

I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed by the state legislature. USF has to accept cc transfers pursuant to the state-wide (2+2) policy. It's explained here:

http://www.fldoe.org/articulation/pdf/Pathways_to_Success.pdf

• Upvote 1

I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed by the state legislature. USF has to accept cc transfers pursuant to the state-wide (2+2) policy. It's explained here:

Most of the transfers I met I think were better than the average student. This was for engineering majors. They didnt always have the highest marks in the class but they seemed more able to apply the concepts in a hands on way. Better grasp of real application vs theory.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

They must accept the credits, assuming the student is accepted into the university. AA does not guarantee you admission to the university of your choice.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Here are some acceptance rates for discussion (rounded):

38 USF

64 Ohio state

46 UCF

39 Florida

54 FSU

67 Texas A&M

47 Texas

61 Purdue

55 Georgia Tech

37 Michigan

70 Virginia Tech

22 UCLA

74 Oregon

82 Mizzou (seriously?)

Now... it's pretty obvious that USF must have a lot of applicants relative to some of the other universities. Being in a larger state somewhat explains that, but we also have lower acceptance rates than FSU or UCF so we must be getting more applications.

What should we do, increase standards even more and only accept 20-30% of applicants? USF is already just as good as anywhere else for many majors.

Acceptance rates are somewhat misleading.  USF is in a major metro area so we get a lot more applicants than destination schools.

What is more indicative of academic success is high school grades and aptitude testing.  Those standards should be increased further -- if you want to improve graduation rates.  I realize many get into USF with sub-stellar academics and pull themselves up and succeed.  But on the average, students doing well in high school and demonstrating college level aptitude in testing are more likely to succeed in college.

I personally think increasing standards is the right decision for USF.  But I also think it is unfortunate the state has put so much emphasis on this.  My original terse comment was meant to be somewhat tongue and cheek.  The state feels that putting emphasis on graduation rate pressures universities to focus more on students, especially struggling students.  In reality what it really does is encourage and reward them for being more selective.  I am not sure that is where we want public education to go.