• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

I think many shared your opinion.  But many would question the value of a Sun Bowl record.  

It bothered me listening to JL talk about  how he felt the games were rewards for the players. I too wish we had competed better. 

And don´t fool yourself.  Vince Lombardi couldn't have made a difference big enough to win.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

The Sun Bowl did a very good job having Bowl events (like Charlotte, opposite of Toronto and Birmingham).

One weird memory, was that aside from the USF and Oregon fans, the stadium was full of people completely disinterested in the game. Not after it was a blowout, but from the first play. I remember thousands of paper airplanes filling the air and drawing more interest from the locals than the game.

It was a very good trip .... and one thing I always tell people, make sure you have enough plans on football road trips that if the game goes South, you can still have a great trip.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Leavitt never took bowl games seriously, he saw them for what they were.  Frustrated the fans.

I think that was pretty much true for every game played after Halloween!

While I realize that was an attempt at humor, CJL did win more games than he lost after Halloween ...

Honestly that surprises me.  Certainly not something I have ever pulled statistics on and I believe you.  But for 3 or so years straight CJL's late season collapses were as predictable as Christmas!  But at least he drummed up some excitement.  The last couple of coaches just start off with misery and disappointment.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

The Sun Bowl did a very good job having Bowl events (like Charlotte, opposite of Toronto and Birmingham).

One weird memory, was that aside from the USF and Oregon fans, the stadium was full of people completely disinterested in the game. Not after it was a blowout, but from the first play. I remember thousands of paper airplanes filling the air and drawing more interest from the locals than the game.

It was a very good trip .... and one thing I always tell people, make sure you have enough plans on football road trips that if the game goes South, you can still have a great trip.

That is true. Walking through the lot prior to kickoff, lots of tailgating. For some reason I have it in my head that El Paso really promotes the BOWL - as an event - and distributes a ton of tickets. There were indeed thousands of people with no connection to either team who showed up, tailgated and just hung out. As much fun as El Paso was, it's not something I would do again, should we find ourselves in the Sun Bowl. It was very much a one-n-done type of experience. I do remember running into one member of this board who flew in the morning of the game, took a cab from the airport to the stadium, and flew out with us that evening. That's a bit more dedication than I have.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Leavitt never took bowl games seriously, he saw them for what they were. Frustrated the fans.

I think that was pretty much true for every game played after Halloween!

While I realize that was an attempt at humor, CJL did win more games than he lost after Halloween ...

Honestly that surprises me. Certainly not something I have ever pulled statistics on and I believe you. But for 3 or so years straight CJL's late season collapses were as predictable as Christmas! But at least he drummed up some excitement. The last couple of coaches just start off with misery and disappointment.

The "collapse" was mid season. In the month of October. After Halloween the ship was usually righted.