• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC Getting Owned In Bowl Games Today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

I don't understand how NOT playing UCF caused the firing of Leavitt, the hiring of Holtz, and being relegated to the AAC?

In fact, didn't UCF originally show little interest in playing against us in the years prior?

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

hilarious

we are in the aac for the following reasons:

1. we dont get good tv ratings - even when we were #2 in the country folks in tampa were watching more gators, noles and canes games. 

2. we have no history of winning any championships in any league we've ever been in

If you don't earn $, you will not be joining  P5. We could have had Tom Jurich as AD, he wasn't going to land us in a p5. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

hilarious

1. we dont get good tv ratings - even when we were #2 in the country folks in tampa were watching more gators, noles and canes games. 

2. we have no history of winning any championships in any league we've ever been in

If you don't earn $, you will not be joining  P5. We could have had Tom Jurich as AD, he wasn't going to land us in a p5. 

The TV ratings for USF vs WVU and Rutgers were good that year we made #2. Some of the highest rated games on ESPN that year. You can reseach it and see for yourself. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

hilarious

The TV ratings for USF vs WVU and Rutgers were good that year we made #2. Some of the highest rated games on ESPN that year. You can reseach it and see for yourself. 

So all we had to do was finish #2 in the nation every year and we'd be in the P5?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

hilarious

So all we had to do was finish #2 in the nation every year and we'd be in the P5?

Honestly, I wouldn't complain! 

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

photo-thumb-9176.jpg?_r=1370870828I know you're not serious, but it does beg the question, "Why do we follow USF ball teams?"

Here's why for me,

1)Because Claire would have a beer ready for me when I arrived at the Empty Keg after morning classes.

2) Because I graduated 2nd in my class in Geology Dept, despite skipping SO MANY classes, but because I had so many grt. professors that I stayed in school.. <that girl who was first hated me>

3) Because I watched the Sun Dome being built as I went to school each day.

4) Because I played ball on those USF fields.

5) Because I waited 28 years for my alma mater to finally field a football team and people actually began to know that there was a major university in Tampa.

6) Because my last quarter(no semesters in those days) was 4 hours of Drawing I , an elective and we had beautiful nude models come every class and pose during a "warm and sticky" Summer quarter.

7) Because the Student Union Bldg got pressure sensitive automatic doors for the handicapped which my dog promptly learned how to use to his advantage.

weimaraner.jpg

8) Because there were more beautiful women there than anyplace I had ever seen, before and since, in my life.

9) Because it was USF silly.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

hilarious

Blip on the radar. P5 conferences are looking at long term ratings that don't go down to zero in bad years or are the same as a Sun Belt team in average years.

USF doesn't have the legacy or prestige these conferences want, no pedigree.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

hilarious

Blip on the radar. P5 conferences are looking at long term ratings that don't go down to zero in bad years or are the same as a Sun Belt team in average years.

USF doesn't have the legacy or prestige these conferences want, no pedigree.

But they were still some of the highest rated games on ESPN that year. Not bad for a young program like USF. And dont forget, the BIG 12 will be needing two more teams sooner or later. Not sure if UCF and Cincy will get the nod or BYU. Right now, USF is not in any position to expect anything. Maybe if it were 2007 when we had the higher ratings. USF was the hot topic back then in case you forgot. We blew that chance to continue the band wagon effect. I for one, dont think we will ever get that back. The 67K in RJS may never happen again in our lifetime for a USF game. I am thankful to be a part of it and I hope that you were too. If not, than I am sorry you missed it. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

It's where I washed up on shore.

The reason I continue to follow USF sports is because I'm an alumnus.  That's it. No other justifiable reason. It's not because we win (on the rare occasion) or because of great things in the past (can't come up with any). It's not because I think we're "this close to turning the corner"...having sat through basketball seasons since '90. 

S'pose we'd put down roots in North Carolina when we got back from overseas; I'd probably be a Wolfpack or 49er fan.

The big roulette wheel of life put me here, so that's why I follow* USF.

*  although it's in the number one slot, I don't follow USF exclusively and to the exclusion of all other teams. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

IT'S OVER! Pull the plug NOW and CUT OUR LOSSES!

USF football will NEVER, EVER, Never, Never, ever... amount to anything! Everyone should just go ahead and pick another LOCAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL team to follow and root for.

I know you're not serious, but it does beg the question, "Why do we follow USF ball teams?"

I posted the below in a roundball thread, but it's apropos here as well. Why continue to compete at a level which you are not competitive? Why not drop down a level? What's the point? 

Serious question, not trolling.

RPI data tweaked and sorted by conference. Going by AVERAGE RPI, it's pretty clear there are 5 top conferences (even the worst team is still in the 100's). At least the American is in the top 10 of conferences. Our top is good, but our mid and bottom teams need to step up.

Best | Worst | Average | Conference

1 | 180 | 65 | Big 10

3 | 158 | 65 | Big 12

8 | 136 | 71 | Big East

7 | 178 | 83 | PAC

4 | 161 | 85 | ACC

12 | 293 | 100 | SEC

2 | 299 | 113 | Atlantic 10

22 | 264 | 125 | American

23 | 318 | 126 | MWC

18 | 247 | 132 | WCC

6 | 323 | 153 | Mo. Valley

41 | 292 | 157 | MAC

63 | 314 | 165 | Horizon

70 | 307 | 179 | Sunbelt

60 | 305 | 182 | Colonial

34 | 316 | 187 | Big West

38 | 325 | 191 | Summit

19 | 333 | 196 | Ivy

39 | 350 | 197 | CUSA

45 | 329 | 202 | MAAC

87 | 328 | 205 | Patriot

49 | 330 | 217 | WAC

72 | 347 | 224 | Southland

157 | 296 | 227 | Big Sky

48 | 348 | 234 | Atlantic Sun

83 | 336 | 239 | Northeast

121 | 340 | 241 | SWAC

57 | 345 | 242 | Ohio Valley

191 | 346 | 251 | Big South

95 | 344 | 261 | Southern

150 | 339 | 276 | Atlantic East

79 | 351 | 285 | MEAC

327 | 327 | 327 | Independent

Looking at the data, when your BEST team is 191st (Big South) it makes me wonder why they stay in D1. Why not drop down to D2 and be competitive?

because it's the only college football team in town.