• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Beef Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Watching Ohio makes me want our green helmets to be a matte finish.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

watching makes me scratch my head as to why 2 PM today.  Why not start at 5 PM on ESPN 2 to lead into the monday night game?  Why not 11 AM on Sunday to run up to the 1 PM NFL kick offs?  

The timing is really head scratching

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

WTF is up with Ohio's weird font for the numbers?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,065
  • Days Won:  38

You can't play a nationally televised game with a real uniform anymore unless you are a real team.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

I was the spotter for the PA announcer today. With good strong binoculars I could not read those Ohio numbers. I would tell the PA announcer, tackle by 18 or 19.

When Ohio was heading away from home plate towards right field, it was actually easier to read the little numbers on the back of their helmets than the big numbers on their shirts.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Was at the game today and funny you should mention the PA announcer.  Whoever it was seemed lost and not into the game. In fact fans around me were asking if I knew if it were the Rays Announcer or what the issue was( was wearing my USF shirt so they knew I was local and started conversation). We figured it was a baseball Announcer since he had no idea what he was saying related to football.  The video board in Outfield was also delayed big time. The Pa announcer would say "First and 10 at the 20"   after a touchback on kick off( when the ball was actually on the 25)  Was most of the game.  LOL

Edited by Dhambuc

Was at the game today and funny you should mention the PA announcer.  Whoever it was seemed lost and not into the game. In fact fans around me were asking if I knew if it were the Rays Announcer or what the issue was( was wearing my USF shirt so they knew I was local and started conversation). We figured it was a baseball Announcer since he had no idea what he was saying related to football.  The video board in Outfield was also delayed big time. The Pa announcer would say "First and 10 at the 20"   after a touchback on kick off( when the ball was actually on the 25)  Was most of the game.  LOL

If he seemed lost, then that is on me. it was my first time working in that job and I am responsible to keep the facts straight. I know the scoreboard was behind (in temrs of yard line, down and distance.  You should have recognized the voice, he was the PA voice of USF for about 10 years, basketball and football. I can assure he does know football well. Like I said even with binoculars, Ohio jersey numbers were very hard to read, but that is on me and not him.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Its all good,  Yes agree Ohio's Uni's were terrible.  ECU's not so bad.  

Love the Beef Bowl( the stadium for the most part, the dome, air condition  esp on a day like today).  Chairs not bleachers,  Nice drive across the bridge.  

Cpl of questions  if you know the answers: Why does the turf always look wet on the Jumbotron but not when you look at the field iself? Is it the lighting or the Dome roof reflecting? 

I see they started the renovations in what is Right Field,( supposedly they are building a walkway inside the seating area so you can see the game as you walk around instead of having to go down escalators, and thru the maze. Should be sweet when its done. What all are they doing to the Dome renovation wise?

Its all good,  Yes agree Ohio's Uni's were terrible.  ECU's not so bad.  

Love the Beef Bowl( the stadium for the most part, the dome, air condition  esp on a day like today).  Chairs not bleachers,  Nice drive across the bridge.  

Cpl of questions  if you know the answers: Why does the turf always look wet on the Jumbotron but not when you look at the field iself? Is it the lighting or the Dome roof reflecting? 

I see they started the renovations in what is Right Field,( supposedly they are building a walkway inside the seating area so you can see the game as you walk around instead of having to go down escalators, and thru the maze. Should be sweet when its done. What all are they doing to the Dome renovation wise?

The Trop field always looks awful on tv, sort of like the Vet in Philly circa the mid 1980's. It is a really soft surface to walk on. Parts are even sort of rubbery (they spread little rubber pellets on the field, it is good on the knees, so if you see a baseball bounce and "dirt" fly up, it is the rubber pellets. I can't say why, but just a bi product of the field. You can see the patches were a different shade (from lack of wear) around home, the mound and in the infield.

From what I have read, the renovations focus on having a walkway that is the same level as the main concourse that completely circles the field. remember, you had to go down to a lower level in the outfield, that lower level is unchanged, but the walkway is added. basically, about 4 rows of outfield seats are coming out, and the restaurant is going away. The whole project is like 1.25 million, so it is small time ..... just a tweek and not a major renovation.

By the way, for those who don't know, the Beef's Bowl has tons of ties to USF.

The two full time employees of the bowl both worked with me at USF, they sold sponsorships for ESPN Regional / ISP. The ESPN game operations director runs several events for ESPN, he used to work for USF in game operations. Many of the game day help (like me and the PA announcer today) are USF people too. The game sort of feels like a reunion in a way.