• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's BB team, can we Dance this year?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I hate myself for getting pumped up, but I can't help myself.

When AC came back, it's a completely different team; it's got a brain.

Yup, when AC is not playing, the team seems to be just a bunch of bodies. With AC, they are so much more organized.

Granted, the defense isn't there yet. Hopefully, with the past week off and with tonight's game, they can get the D worked out.

And it looks like we have another offensive threat with Correy Allen Jr.

Oh, boy...

I hate to say it, but we could Dance this year!

Actually... I was pretty impressed with the team while AC was injured. Corey Allen Jr. handled the point guard position pretty well. I believe he was in the top 10 or 15 in the nation in assists, before the last game. He's now 22nd in the nation. I'd say that's pretty impressive. There were times when AC slowed down the game last game when I felt it should not have been slowed down. So I'm hoping that's just because of his injury. Regardless, I'm looking forward to AC coming back 100%, but I feel like we can still play well when he needs breaks.

I'm with you on that 100%. The team looked good without Collins in there and only struggled when Allen was off the floor or fatigue. When Collins did get into action he slowed the paced down to much and the team struggled until Allen got back on the court. This team will not perform well playing a slower style because we don't have the components to do so successfully. Collins dribbling the shot clock down is just the same as a turnover. With our perimeter shooting getting up as many shots as possible, creating turnovers to convert easier points, and shooting free throws is our offense.

I think we have most of the components to run an inside post game complimented by perimeter shooters in the half court. Collins, Allen and Rudd can penetrate, Egbunu and Perry have shown they are capable in the post and Allen can certainly knock down perimeter shots. If Musa were more consistent we would have another outside shooter. Transition offense comes when it comes, but I don't think it can be our main source of offense.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

We won't win the conference (Louisville will) but we can be a nice little bubble team if all goes well .  Then again, we are 3 games in and we haven't played much of anybody yet.  So maybe we wait till about halfway through the season to start calling it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Yup, when AC is not playing, the team seems to be just a bunch of bodies. With AC, they are so much more organized.

Granted, the defense isn't there yet. Hopefully, with the past week off and with tonight's game, they can get the D worked out.

Oh, boy...

Actually... I was pretty impressed with the team while AC was injured. Corey Allen Jr. handled the point guard position pretty well. I believe he was in the top 10 or 15 in the nation in assists, before the last game. He's now 22nd in the nation. I'd say that's pretty impressive. There were times when AC slowed down the game last game when I felt it should not have been slowed down. So I'm hoping that's just because of his injury. Regardless, I'm looking forward to AC coming back 100%, but I feel like we can still play well when he needs breaks.

I'm with you on that 100%. The team looked good without Collins in there and only struggled when Allen was off the floor or fatigue. When Collins did get into action he slowed the paced down to much and the team struggled until Allen got back on the court. This team will not perform well playing a slower style because we don't have the components to do so successfully. Collins dribbling the shot clock down is just the same as a turnover. With our perimeter shooting getting up as many shots as possible, creating turnovers to convert easier points, and shooting free throws is our offense.

For those waiting for the other shoe to drop ..... voila.   B)

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

Oh, boy...

I think it's a valid concern. I'm sure AC will pick things up, but he is used to playing a slower paced game for the last 2 years, by trying to delay and wait for the final 5-10 seconds on the shot clock. This was due to lack of talent in certain positions. So, it is possible he may need a little time to adjust, especially coming off of an injury. I have no doubt that he will adjust, because he is a great player.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482

After Monday we will have a much better idea of the team.

Thus far, I definitely say yes!

Three cheers for being a basketball school!!  :icon_drink:

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

You have a free shot at OSU where nobody publicly expects USF to win. USF has everything to gain and nothing to lose in that game. For me I have two concerns for USF, who will step up and consistently make 3 pt shots, and can we get by this season without a 3rd True Big guy?

Corey Allen is not the answer from deep, even though he has gotten off to a good start there. Long range shooting is not his strong point, but he will get occasionally good looks because of his blow by ability that defenders have to respect. Heath is trying to give Musa Aleem the opportunity to be that guy which is something he wouldn't have done in the past if a guy was struggling. Aleem very well could be the difference of USF being a NCAAT team or a NIT hopeful. He was a highly recruited player USF beat out Memphis for and the reason why he was well regarded was his incredible 3pt shooting ability. Aleem has to get going.

I really believe that Heath should have signed a servicable Big this past summer to give us more depth. This is where we could have used a BJ Ajayi or healthy Rivas Sanchez type just to come in and play defense and rebound with size. I worry about foul trouble and later fatigue with Perry and Egbunu.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  453

I'm just excited for tonights game.

Oh, boy...

I think it's a valid concern. I'm sure AC will pick things up, but he is used to playing a slower paced game for the last 2 years, by trying to delay and wait for the final 5-10 seconds on the shot clock. This was due to lack of talent in certain positions. So, it is possible he may need a little time to adjust, especially coming off of an injury. I have no doubt that he will adjust, because he is a great player.

There was a reason I didn't Quote your post ... You prominently mentioned his coming back from the his injury, and taking a little time to get acclimated ... and I agree with that 100%. AC will adjust his play to whatever circumstances call for on the court because, like you said, he's a great player.

You have a free shot at OSU where nobody publicly expects USF to win. USF has everything to gain and nothing to lose in that game. For me I have two concerns for USF, who will step up and consistently make 3 pt shots, and can we get by this season without a 3rd True Big guy?

Corey Allen is not the answer from deep, even though he has gotten off to a good start there. Long range shooting is not his strong point, but he will get occasionally good looks because of his blow by ability that defenders have to respect. Heath is trying to give Musa Aleem the opportunity to be that guy which is something he wouldn't have done in the past if a guy was struggling. Aleem very well could be the difference of USF being a NCAAT team or a NIT hopeful. He was a highly recruited player USF beat out Memphis for and the reason why he was well regarded was his incredible 3pt shooting ability. Aleem has to get going.

I really believe that Heath should have signed a servicable Big this past summer to give us more depth. This is where we could have used a BJ Ajayi or healthy Rivas Sanchez type just to come in and play defense and rebound with size. I worry about foul trouble and later fatigue with Perry and Egbunu.

Agree about the 3 point shooter and Musa needing to step up, but who was the 3rd True Big Guy who stepped in during the 2011-2012 season? We kind of did okay that year ...

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Agree about the 3 point shooter and Musa needing to step up, but who was the 3rd True Big Guy who stepped in during the 2011-2012 season? We kind of did okay that year ...

We did but a few things have to be pointed out. Both Gilchrist and Anderson were very seasoned warriors of college basketball and knew how to prepare for every game and the entire season. Being vets they also knew how to get their rest withing a game and not have it hurt the team. Those are things you learn from experience. That experience also allowed both to play defense without getting into a lot of foul trouble.

The rules of the game is different now then when Anderson and Gilchrist beat up the opposition. Two true freshmen bigs will tend to get into foul trouble as they aren't experienced enough to make the adjustments quickly to how the game is being called, or what the opponents are doing. CBB season is a lot more grinding and longer then HS and you know that if these guy are logging a lot of minutes they will eventually feel the results. Our style of play now requires these guys to get up and down the floor, transition from defense to offense and vice versa very quickly. Our defense effectiveness will go down as these guys fatigue.

Edited by Vega