• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We may have a problem

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

2-7 and almost the whole forum is against him.

That quote is taken out of context, and reading the rest of what he said, I really don't have an issue with it.

He said they will get better, they will recruit the right guys, and that we are limited at receiver. Is any of that wrong?

Let's stop criticizing everything Taggart does, this season is bad enough already.

I guess the context could be bad.  I read that to say that the kind of talent we have currently isn't hard to get.  Maybe he meant the right kind of talent isn't hard to get.  Either way it is a profoundly stupid statement.  Either he is saying top-tier talent to run a pro-style offense isn't hard to get (absurd) or he is insulting our current group of players who perhaps aren't that talented.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I believe these were comments on his radio show.  I don't see any harm.  Holtz recruited for his offense, which differs from Taggarts.  There's no question they are struggling to click.  Here's the story.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-offense-will-work-in-time/2153044

We're not ranked 120 in offense solely due to QB play.  His comments didn't surprise anyone, least of all his players...that's likely a key driver as to why Griffin & Montgomery left.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

That quote is taken out of context, and reading the rest of what he said, I really don't have an issue with it.

He said they will get better, they will recruit the right guys, and that we are limited at receiver. Is any of that wrong?

Let's stop criticizing everything Taggart does, this season is bad enough already.

I guess the context could be bad.  I read that to say that the kind of talent we have currently isn't hard to get.  Maybe he meant the right kind of talent isn't hard to get.  Either way it is a profoundly stupid statement.  Either he is saying top-tier talent to run a pro-style offense isn't hard to get (absurd) or he is insulting our current group of players who perhaps aren't that talented.

I took it as "it's not hard to recruit players into the system that works".  It's not working now, but I'm sure he's selling it as working with the right talent (i.e. the recruits he's targeting).

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

He is saying it will not be hard to find players that will fit his system.  I am not sure why you consider that a profoundly stupid statement.  What other kinds of players would he recruit? If he thought it was unreasonably difficult he is in the wrong profession.

I have to keep reminding myself that people on this board care deeply about the program and that is why everyone is upset about the way things are.  

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Meh

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Not sure anyone is all that upset -- apathetic is probably closer to the situation.  Recruiting top caliber college athletes to run any system is difficult - recruiting the kind of players he wants is perhaps the most difficult.  It is always easier to find that one elusive player like Grothe or Daniels that can run around and improvise.  Running Tag's offense requires far more skill and depth.  Can he do it?  Perhaps.  But I don't think it is easy.

But I give you that is probably what he meant -- just not the way it sounded.  Sounded more like a Steve Spurrier interview.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Not sure anyone is all that upset -- apathetic is probably closer to the situation.  Recruiting top caliber college athletes to run any system is difficult - recruiting the kind of players he wants is perhaps the most difficult.  It is always easier to find that one elusive player like Grothe or Daniels that can run around and improvise.  Running Tag's offense requires far more skill and depth.  Can he do it?  Perhaps.  But I don't think it is easy.

Perhaps?? He did it at WKU so why you would you question if he can do it here ...

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Move along, nothing to see here ...

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

All he said was he has been able to successfully run the offense everywhere he has been. He has been able to get the kids to execute the offense everywhere he has coached and he has always been able to recruit kids for the offense everywhere he has been and he will be able to get them here.

He just made a statement that the kids here now were recruited to run a different kind of offense. That they will get better as we move forward, but that it is not hard to recruit kids that can execute the offense.

I don't see anything wrong or controversial in that statement at all.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I do love the "everywhere I've been" quote.  Let's see.  How many places is everywhere?  Two?  How many places where he was the head coach?  Oh yeah, one. 

Either way, clearly some players are as frustrated with him as he is with them.