• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tennesse Tech vs. South Florida: Closing Thoughts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I think we have more talent and bodies than we did on the NCAA tourney team. That said, I think coaching is going to be put under the magnifying glass this year. There's enough talent to get to the NCAA's or an NIT, but coaching is the key.

What I like:

1) Good hands. Everyone seems to have very good hands -no stone hands.

2) Corey Allen Jr., John Egbunu, and Chris Perry are huge upgrades to the team.

3) Team size and depth are vastly improved from last year.

Here's the key: What we do on offense.

I think with the size and depth, defense will be very good. I've seen what Coach Heath has done with less bodies. People are going to have to shoot 3s to beat us. Remember our defense when we made the NCAA tournament? Well, this team is going to be that good, if not better. We have the bodies and the quickness to do it.

Turning to the offense, there are a lot of questions.

1) Will AC get his groove back and be able to give us those sweet shots?

2) Will Rudd be more consistent or show up & then disappear?

3) How will the new players fit in and what's the offensive strategy?

4) I'm worried that there will not be a money player (instant points) other than AC and Rudd.

5) Are we going to do the Egbunu and Perry switch all year? Hmmm....

If we play pass the hot potato to burn the clock and then chuck up a prayer, it's going to be a long season.

Teams are going to play zone and give us all kinds of trouble.

-------------------------

Well, I'm being harsh, as it was just the first game and AC wasn't even running the show. But I'm very leery of any hype until I see better. The announcers did say that we had the 3rd most difficult schedule in the nation (that's what I thought I heard).

I do like what I saw.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I saw a lot of bumbling and running into each other, but I hope that's just getting used to playing against non-Bulls, and getting used to the chemistry & communication.

We looked very sloppy at times, and not aggressive (especially rebounding).  Rudd didn't seem engaged early on, but some of that may be AC's absense.  With AC handling the ball, you always need to be ready for a crisp pass. As the senior, he needs to show energy & leadership.

It's early...but I sure we play better soon, or it could be a long season.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'd like to add that McClendon will a great utility player for this team. He does a lot of little things right. I can now see why Heath gave this kid from Hofstra the opportunity to transfer to USF.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

Rebounding was very good. Last year we were getting beat hard on the glass by even the out of conf small teams. A lot of TTU rebounds came late when they were chucking 3's and resulted in long rebs.

Rudd is vastly improved and can now play his natural role and still get tons of rebounds and not worry about guarding a bigger player down low.

Collins should help the team out tremendously. Coach said next weekend for Collins return.

For those who don't think he will make that big of difference go back to our tournament run. Beginning of season without him and then end of the season with him.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

Post game on 98.7 there was a lot of talk of perry and egbunu playing at the same time as the season progress. Issue right now is Perry only knows how to guard the 5 spot and needs to learn to guard the 4 better.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Not sold. Bottom line is that we wont win without Collins. He is our leader and floor general. You all can crown all the new guys all you want, but they can never match AC right now. Until we get him back, we wont be as good as we hope. 

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Not sold. Bottom line is that we wont win without Collins. He is our leader and floor general. You all can crown all the new guys all you want, but they can never match AC right now. Until we get him back, we wont be as good as we hope.

Where is Bull Daly and what have you done with him????

Seriously, no optimism for any of the new guys from you if all people? We need AC, but there was some things to be excited about even without him. And we did win, for Pete's sake!! =)

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Where is Bull Daly and what have you done with him????

Seriously, no optimism for any of the new guys from you if all people? We need AC, but there was some things to be excited about even without him. And we did win, for Pete's sake!! =)

Not talking too bad about the new guys but they are new guys. They are not AC. Not many are AC so it does not go against the new guys. AAC is  a great conference for hoops. Teams like Memphis, Cincy, and UConn will eat these new guys alive this season. At least AC has been through the fire and knows how to handle it. Until we get him back heathly, I am not expecting much. 

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

It's difficult to judge the offense at this point for a few reasons.

1) No Collins. Allen is a capable substitute, but AC is still the general on the floor.

2) Fast pace. I think that the guys are still adjusting a little to the faster pace. Some of the turnovers and mis-timing is the result of this and it should improve with each game.

3) The new rules. Players, coaches and officials are still figuring out these new "freedom of movement" rules. I do hope the NCAA starts a reevaluation soon because the games are taking too long. They're getting more points, but most of them seem to be cheap FTs not actual offense.

As for defense, I think you're right. This is a long, quick, quick-handed, athletic team, that could really cause havoc as they sync up with each game.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This freedom of movement stuff is crap