• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach T deflects critism of Eveld==White's not ready

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Bulls94, re: your following reply: "last year when our offense was scoring 30+ points per game with BJ Daniels, andre davis and co. had the same issues. perhaps you forget but they weren't exactly sticky fingers and they pulled up on routes, had plenty of penalties, etc."

"what's odd is that last year you and the minions blamed all our woes on BJ Daniels (Bruce i believe you derogatorily called him). said he wasn't a d-1a level QB. Now this year you're using the offensive line and WRs as scapegoats for our atrocious QB play."

Before getting back to the subject conversation here (this year's team and the QB & WR play), let me address the points / comments you made: First, just for accuracy sake, during the 9 games that Daniels started last year, USF averaged 25 ppg, not 30+.  Secondly, I'll concede that most likely some passes were dropped by Bulls' WRs last year and that there were some penalties last year that nullified pass completions.  However, for your argument to have any validity re: countering my analysis, you would have to provide the actual numbers rather than simply throw out random speculative player outcomes from last season. My analysis was based on the fact that a high percentage of passes (from Eveld) have been dropped during games.  In addition to those dropped passes, there's beeen a fairly large amount of nullifying penalties that also stripped Eveld (and Bench) from having more completions. For example, if you count the number of dropped passes against UConn and the potential completions nullified by penalties, they would account for 7 or 8 (depending on viewpoint) additional completions to go with Eveld's 8 total.  Do the math, and Eveld could have gone 15 of 29 for 52% or 14 of 28 (50%).  So, based on actual numbers I've provided, there's no way that you can accurately state that USF QBs are 85% of the problem re: the Bulls' passing game. Yes, are they playing like crap much of the time, yes, they are, but they apparently are not 85% of the problem. Now, I'm not sure what anyone's opinion about Daniels' performance last season has to do with the opinion of many here who believe that the problems with this year's passing attack is a multi-faceted one involving a combination of poor OL play, inconsistent receivers and less than stellar QB performances?  USF has used 3 QBs, and the results have been largely the same: statistically ineffective. While I agree there's some issues with all three, it's a bit odd to suggest that all three are perfectly and equally terrible and 85% of the problem.  So, is it possible then that all three are not equally terrible, but other factors within the offense are playing a significant role in their poor results?  I think you have to say yes, it's a high probability that there's other areas that are not working well in the passing game to also go along with some poor QB performance as well.  As for the second part of your post, it appears that part of your comparative argument is related to someone else from another blog who referred to B.J. Daniels as "Bruce."  I had no idea that calling someone by their actual first name was "derogatory," but to set the record straight, I never referred to Daniels as "Bruce." Also, I sense that when you don't have clear facts or when you utilize incorrect math to further your arguments (i.e., USF averaged 30+ ppg last year or that QBs are 85% of the problem), your preference is to resort to ad hominem retorts ("you and the minons blamed all our woes on B.J. Daniels....")  rather than simply sticking to the subject being discussed in this thread. Not sure how that tact advances your efforts to persuade others here to favor your opinion or analysis, but if me, my preference would be to challenge others with reasonable discourse via a healthy exchange of ideas and speculation rather than randomly thrown hyperbole in place of accurate facts. 

All of  the Mike White backers are assuming that he's a better option than Eveld or Floyd.  You know there's a chance that he's not as good, right?

all of the mike white backers would like to find out.

we already know that the other 3 aren't the answer.

he was definitely a more accomplished passer in high school.

Is it worth burning his redshirt though? CWT sees him in practice daily and if he doesn't think he can go out and win us 4+ games to get us bowling, then i do not think it's worth it.

yes it is. auburn last week just burnt their true freshman QBs redshirt and they are 5-1.

personally I don't think the other three can win us many games when we can't even score a TD.

6 of last 9 games our offense hasn't scored a TD.

I think the experience would be good for him and I think we could see if he has what it akes.

If we were rushing for 287 yards a game and Mike White were the best QB, even my a slim margin, he would start, I am sure of it.  Auburn is a completely different offense playing at a completely different level.  Having seen that QB in practice they felt it was a good move.  They didn't do it to appease fans who had the next guy in line mentality. 

they actually did do it because of injury. funny thing is they did it for 1 or 2 games. not even to take over the job.

we should do it based on performance. an even easier decision to make.

Which of these things are true:

1.  We are one of the top 10 rushing offenses in the country

2.  Mike White and Jeremy Johnson are the same person

3.  Jeremy Johnson was given the start on a whim, not as a result of months of evaluation by football professionals

If you want to give an example where a true freshman who hasn't significantly outperformed his contemporaries came into a terrible offense, moved the ball, and won a bunch of games, I'll be persuaded. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

no my point is we need to find a QB. if we know these 3 aren't it then try the next guy.

If that's all your arguing is about then you've, as usual, wasted a ton of board space. We, and more importantly, the coaches don't know if one of these 3 aren't it.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

The receivers weren't fine under BJ...they were fairly bad last year too.

This

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Eveld couldn't get the offense into the end zone against UConn and he is our best option. Wow and to think that I heard how Mike White was impressing the coaches a few weeks ago sure doesn't say much

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Eveld couldn't get the offense into the end zone against UConn and he is our best option. Wow and to think that I heard how Mike White was impressing the coaches a few weeks ago sure doesn't say much

He had 2 sure TDs dropped by receivers. The one to bravo brown was a beautifully thrown ball. 

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

He had 2 sure TDs dropped by receivers. The one to bravo brown was a beautifully thrown ball. 

So was the pass that Welch dropped against Cincinnati.

Edited by South_Florida_Flip

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Absolutely, he didn't do a terrible job especially when he had time.

Floyd looked great in camp, so by some of the reasoning here about coaches being "impressed", then CWT did the right thing by starting him. There's no guarantees on these kids that they'll duplicate their practice performance on the game field. That's why you keep White tucked away for next year and build him up.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Bulls94, re: your following reply: "last year when our offense was scoring 30+ points per game with BJ Daniels, andre davis and co. had the same issues. perhaps you forget but they weren't exactly sticky fingers and they pulled up on routes, had plenty of penalties, etc."

"what's odd is that last year you and the minions blamed all our woes on BJ Daniels (Bruce i believe you derogatorily called him). said he wasn't a d-1a level QB. Now this year you're using the offensive line and WRs as scapegoats for our atrocious QB play."

Before getting back to the subject conversation here (this year's team and the QB & WR play), let me address the points / comments you made: First, just for accuracy sake, during the 9 games that Daniels started last year, USF averaged 25 ppg, not 30+.  Secondly, I'll concede that most likely some passes were dropped by Bulls' WRs last year and that there were some penalties last year that nullified pass completions.  However, for your argument to have any validity re: countering my analysis, you would have to provide the actual numbers rather than simply throw out random speculative player outcomes from last season. My analysis was based on the fact that a high percentage of passes (from Eveld) have been dropped during games.  In addition to those dropped passes, there's beeen a fairly large amount of nullifying penalties that also stripped Eveld (and Bench) from having more completions. For example, if you count the number of dropped passes against UConn and the potential completions nullified by penalties, they would account for 7 or 8 (depending on viewpoint) additional completions to go with Eveld's 8 total.  Do the math, and Eveld could have gone 15 of 29 for 52% or 14 of 28 (50%).  So, based on actual numbers I've provided, there's no way that you can accurately state that USF QBs are 85% of the problem re: the Bulls' passing game. Yes, are they playing like crap much of the time, yes, they are, but they apparently are not 85% of the problem. Now, I'm not sure what anyone's opinion about Daniels' performance last season has to do with the opinion of many here who believe that the problems with this year's passing attack is a multi-faceted one involving a combination of poor OL play, inconsistent receivers and less than stellar QB performances?  USF has used 3 QBs, and the results have been largely the same: statistically ineffective. While I agree there's some issues with all three, it's a bit odd to suggest that all three are perfectly and equally terrible and 85% of the problem.  So, is it possible then that all three are not equally terrible, but other factors within the offense are playing a significant role in their poor results?  I think you have to say yes, it's a high probability that there's other areas that are not working well in the passing game to also go along with some poor QB performance as well.  As for the second part of your post, it appears that part of your comparative argument is related to someone else from another blog who referred to B.J. Daniels as "Bruce."  I had no idea that calling someone by their actual first name was "derogatory," but to set the record straight, I never referred to Daniels as "Bruce." Also, I sense that when you don't have clear facts or when you utilize incorrect math to further your arguments (i.e., USF averaged 30+ ppg last year or that QBs are 85% of the problem), your preference is to resort to ad hominem retorts ("you and the minons blamed all our woes on B.J. Daniels....")  rather than simply sticking to the subject being discussed in this thread. Not sure how that tact advances your efforts to persuade others here to favor your opinion or analysis, but if me, my preference would be to challenge others with reasonable discourse via a healthy exchange of ideas and speculation rather than randomly thrown hyperbole in place of accurate facts. 

Paragraph too long. Hurts eyes to read. Needs to be broken up into 4-5 paragraphs. Say what you want about smazza's posts, but they're short, concise, and easy to read. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131

Paragraph too long. Hurts eyes to read. Needs to be broken up into 4-5 paragraphs. Say what you want about smazza's posts, but they're short, concise, and easy to read. 

I agree.  I should have formatted better for easier reading.  Although, I will try hard to never write such a long blog post again.  My apologies to all here.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

So was the pass that Welch dropped against Cincinnati.

I was at that game and couldn't tell for sure but it looked like the defender may have gotten in his line of sight.  Not making an excuse just wondering out loud.