• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

B.J. Daniels waived by 49ers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

There was sole strategy there, but not as much as some would believe. Again, signal, terminology, and such changes quarter by quarter in the NFL. And when the Niners play the Seahawks again they'll be completely new.

With free agency, etc, its designed to be this way.

I see your point, and I agree.  The last thing I will really say on this is that tendencies and abilities don't really change frequently.  When Jon Gruden was prepping the Bucs for the Super Bowl, he ran the scout team in scrimmages imitating Rich Gannon - knowing his tendencies and abilities and communicating that to the Bucs was probably one of the biggest reasons the Bucs won that game.  

If BJ can provide some insight into Kaep's tendencies at the line of scrimmage, that gives Seattle just a little more leverage in games against SF, who's come to be their biggest rival.

I could be totally wrong, but that's why I believe it's a smart pickup for Seattle.  That, and as a Bull I am happy to see BJ continue to live out his dream. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Bulls fan. They kept BJ from rejoining the Niners.

If the 49ers really expected to put BJ on the practice squad, I could see Pete Carroll signing him just to screw with Harbough.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Seattle probably likes him so they can potentially let a bigger contract go in Jackson after the season. Lotta Niners fans calling BJ the next Wilson this preseason so his backup makes a lot of sense.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Bulls fan. They kept BJ from rejoining the Niners.

If the 49ers really expected to put BJ on the practice squad, I could see Pete Carroll signing him just to screw with Harbough.

This is definitely a factor too. There's definitely no love lost between those two organizations

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

BJ Daniels isn't going to provide a whole lot of new insight into the 49ers system just because he was there for 3 months.

The Seahawks have had multiple scouts and assistant coaches, with higher football IQs than BJ, following every single play the 49ers have run during the Harbaugh era.  

This wasn't a move to just try and get some insight.  It was more of a move that BJ Daniels is probably one of the closest things to Russell Wilson in the league as far as size and skill set.  

Obviously Wilson has the ability to put incredible touch and accuracy on his passes, which we all know isn't BJs strong suit but don't discredit BJ's ability to help Seattle by saying this move was just about trying to get some insider info on the 49ers.  

There aren't many "secrets"  in this league and if there was some super secret play, the 49ers wouldn't share it with a guy like Daniels who was a bubble roster spot all thru training camp and preseason.   

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Speaking of the 49ers, the new Sound FX on the NFL channel is on Patrick Willis, a best of show. You see Leavitt a few times, never talking to the LBs. Either walking around or talking to another coach. At the very end, when they beat Green Bay in the NFC title game, in the locker room, Leavitt is talking to Willis and along comes Harbaugh who wraps his arms around Willis's head and talks to him, Leavitt steps back and is chuckling but looks like the spouse at a party with their partner and out of the blue comes an old flame they still have feelings for and they have a steamy reunion. Awkward.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

BJ Daniels isn't going to provide a whole lot of new insight into the 49ers system just because he was there for 3 months.

The Seahawks have had multiple scouts and assistant coaches, with higher football IQs than BJ, following every single play the 49ers have run during the Harbaugh era.  

This wasn't a move to just try and get some insight.  It was more of a move that BJ Daniels is probably one of the closest things to Russell Wilson in the league as far as size and skill set.  

Obviously Wilson has the ability to put incredible touch and accuracy on his passes, which we all know isn't BJs strong suit but don't discredit BJ's ability to help Seattle by saying this move was just about trying to get some insider info on the 49ers.  

There aren't many "secrets"  in this league and if there was some super secret play, the 49ers wouldn't share it with a guy like Daniels who was a bubble roster spot all thru training camp and preseason.   

Gotcha, I'll shut up now, even though I really wasn't talking about systems and secrets.   

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

come on

did you guys really really think bj was an nfl qb?

He looked like one of the best in the preseason...

against 3rd string in an exhibition game

i could get specific but the long and short of it is simple---bj was never an nfl qb   NEVER

He was and he still is, smazza.  But seriously, why are you so adamant about condemning the talents of a kid who represents the school you claim to support?  Everyone else here is excited to see BJ succeed, and all you want to do is come in here and piss all over it.  You were in here talking this crap all through the preseason, and when he made the 49ers roster, you went silent.  Then he gets waived and you pop back up, but since it was announced the Seahawks picked him up, you've again stopped commenting.

Spot on assessment.  He is one that is so focused on Daniels' weaknesses that he totally fails to see the potential there.  I do not think anyone sees Daniels as the next Peyton Manning but I could see him as a journeyman backup who might develop into a good pro.  I would like the paycheck.  Incidentally, keep in mind that this same guy said that Denver was better off with Tebow than Manning. A couple of seasons back he was espousing the idea that Mark Sanchez and Matt Leinart were going to be great in the NFL. 

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

To be fair-- I am rooting for BJ to do as well as possible.

But the realist in me sees his career taking the same route as Joey Hamilton (former Georgia Tech great) did with the Bucs. Always stellar in the preseason, never given any chance in the regular season. Short of injuries that is. Joey eventually left the NFL for the Arena League and did pretty well there.

I think BJ has talent and will fit even better in the Seattle system than what they had at San Francisco. But I have no delusions that he is anything more than a backup or scout team guy who lets Seattle get ready for teams like the 49ers. If he can be a solid backup-- he can have keep a job in the NFL for several years.

But rather than make jerk comments like smazza and claim he "is not an NFL QB and never will be"-- I choose to let this play out on his own. You never know what can happen given the right number of breaks-- BJ should just keep improving his skill set and study the playbooks as if he is the starter and be ready for whatever moment he gets to show people he can do the job.