• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another Record-Setting Class Enters USF

Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

i interview all the young lawyers and clerks and paralegals

todays 4.0 must be the new 2.0

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

USF is doing a great job but they really need to leverage the area industry better.  Just returned from the Industry Advisory Board at UF today.  The Engineering Dean and program Deans meet with leaders from major employers to get feedback on their programs, their students, etc.  UF is able to convince a lot of us to travel a long way and mostly pay our own way for these meetings.  USF needs to generate this kind of culture, which largely means they need to host the forums and likely draw mostly local talent initially.  But the good news is in the Tampa area there is lots of businesses and companies to draw from.  Maybe it is happening and I just don't hear about it.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

USF is doing a great job but they really need to leverage the area industry better. Just returned from the Industry Advisory Board at UF today. The Engineering Dean and program Deans meet with leaders from major employers to get feedback on their programs, their students, etc. UF is able to convince a lot of us to travel a long way and mostly pay our own way for these meetings. USF needs to generate this kind of culture, which largely means they need to host the forums and likely draw mostly local talent initially. But the good news is in the Tampa area there is lots of businesses and companies to draw from. Maybe it is happening and I just don't hear about it.

USF engineering college has a board with local business leaders that meets and looks at the engineering college. Myself and a few other students got to meet with them when I was there to get a students view of the program.

One place where USF really is weak in my opinion is company recruitment and the career fair. I looked at the employers that came to the last fair and overall was not impressed. There are not enough companies coming to recruit USF engineers, at least for mechanical, there are about 10-15 but if you want to stay local you are pretty much out of luck but for 1 or 2 companies. I guess Tampa just does not have a very strong engineering sector.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  208
  • Days Won:  0

Do not let these stats fool you. I used to work with undergraduate admissions at USF and I can inform you that admissions recalculates every single GPA that applies. The absolute highest GPA that could enter USF is a 5.0 (which is taking all AP/IB courses and receiving an A in each course). The typical recalculation goes A=4.0 B=3.0 C=2.0 D=1.0 F=0.0. If you take an honors course add 0.5, if you take AP/IB add a full point.

So it does not matter if you end up with a "9.3 GPA" out of high school. It will be recalculated back down to earth when you apply.

The stats have been increasing at USF every single year and it speaks to the caliber students we are recruiting. I can not wait to see where USF's admissions stats will be in about 5 years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369

USF is doing a great job but they really need to leverage the area industry better. Just returned from the Industry Advisory Board at UF today. The Engineering Dean and program Deans meet with leaders from major employers to get feedback on their programs, their students, etc. UF is able to convince a lot of us to travel a long way and mostly pay our own way for these meetings. USF needs to generate this kind of culture, which largely means they need to host the forums and likely draw mostly local talent initially. But the good news is in the Tampa area there is lots of businesses and companies to draw from. Maybe it is happening and I just don't hear about it.

USF engineering college has a board with local business leaders that meets and looks at the engineering college. Myself and a few other students got to meet with them when I was there to get a students view of the program.

One place where USF really is weak in my opinion is company recruitment and the career fair. I looked at the employers that came to the last fair and overall was not impressed. There are not enough companies coming to recruit USF engineers, at least for mechanical, there are about 10-15 but if you want to stay local you are pretty much out of luck but for 1 or 2 companies. I guess Tampa just does not have a very strong engineering sector.

Yeah I used to recruit USF for engineering and we cut back a few years ago.  Wasn't really a knock on USF at all but we were getting too many hires from within the state and wanted geographic diversity so we cut USF and FSU.  I got an e-mail from someone a while back asking me if I'd consider participating in a panel that I think is what you describe above but I really haven't seen large emphasis on those kind of outreaches.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Yeah I used to recruit USF for engineering and we cut back a few years ago. Wasn't really a knock on USF at all but we were getting too many hires from within the state and wanted geographic diversity so we cut USF and FSU. I got an e-mail from someone a while back asking me if I'd consider participating in a panel that I think is what you describe above but I really haven't seen large emphasis on those kind of outreaches.

Maybe one way to give back would be to push to get your company back to USF? Just a thought.

• 6 months later...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

nm

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780

Great news.  This should only add to USF's academic reputation and rankings.