• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Talk Escalated?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

So the bag policy is what pisses people off? Seriously?

Not the fact that we lose the lions share of potential stadium profits (parking, concessions, etc) to the Glazers? Or that we don't get vital alumni back on campus to get hooked in and feel at home?

For what it's worth, the opportunity cost of lost revenue (parking, concessions, advertising, suites) has to be weighed against the real cost of paying debt on a stadium.  At this point, the $$ we're "losing" is far less than the money we'd have to pay as debt payments... which also means the $$ from those sources would not be enough to pay the debt. We'd need other sources of revenue (construction donations, seat licenses, etc).

I am sure the bag policy ticked off some people ... it will have an impact on families... but it won't kick any real OCS talk into high gear.

Still can't understand why the MBA program doesn't assign this to a team of students as a case study and turn over the results

I'm in the MBA program at USF and there just isn't really a specific class that can look at it that in depth. The problem is that in most classes we are in groups and it is hard to get everyone to agree on doing a big project on USF athletics (example: I tried pushing using USF in my MBA marketing class but was shot down and we went with Tesla.) HOWEVER, I am a financial analyst for non-profit entities (colleges, water companies, cities, states,...) so I MAY be able to come up with some figures if you give me a few days. This is assuming all the information I need is public information and is available from TSA and USF.

Really, I saw some dumb cases done during my MBA program.   Did anyone go talk to people in the Athletic program?

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

My sources have informed me that USF will not have an OCS in foreseeable future.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

UM doesn't have an OCS. They have been making the same arguments for years. They are a P5 school with a legacy and their attendance was terrible BEFORE and AFTER their championship years. We must face the facts... RJS or UCF/FAU -style stadium. 

(Side note: Watching the 'U' documentary; their program did a 180 in a very short time! A good coach can make the difference.)

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

UM doesn't have an OCS. They have been making the same arguments for years. They are a P5 school with a legacy and their attendance was terrible BEFORE and AFTER their championship years. We must face the facts... RJS or UCF/FAU -style stadium.

(Side note: Watching the 'U' documentary; their program did a 180 in a very short time! A good coach can make the difference.)

See Ohio State last year

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

See Ohio State last year

Ohio State still had a few top rated returning starters; and Meyer brought in top level talent. I mean, this was not an unbalanced team to begin with. But I see your point, and their success gives me some hope with CWT! 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

See Ohio State last year

Ohio State still had a few top rated returning starters; and Meyer brought in top level talent. I mean, this was not an unbalanced team to begin with. But I see your point, and their success gives me some hope with CWT!

12-0 or bust for the bulls.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

no ocs will be built while usf remains in the minor leagues

Shockingly, I tend to agree.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I heard from a good friend and former USF atheltics employee that the new security procedures at RayJay has pissed off the right people at USF. Apparently that this alone has escalated the OCS discussion from casual as in we need it some day down the road, to we need it now.

Not sure how reliaible my buddy is, and only time (i.e. next 2 years) will tell if he is right, or if some big shots are just blowing smoke.

:stirpot:

The new security procedures are NFL wide, make sense and come from top security analysts hired by the NFL. It would be stupid to be offended at the NFL for trying to avert a disaster due to lax security and even NFL fans are for the measure because it increases their personal safety.

If they want to dump money into something try a men's bb coach salary and lure away a top 5 coach.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I guess this just pushes an event to outside the stadium instead of inside. Crowds still gather at the stadium gates immediately before and after games. Safety is not significantly increased if at all, while the inconvenience is increased by quite a lot.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I guess this just pushes an event to outside the stadium instead of inside. Crowds still gather at the stadium gates immediately before and after games. Safety is not significantly increased if at all, while the inconvenience is increased by quite a lot.

Terrorists want TV coverage when it happens, ie finish lines. Not much coverage outside stadiums, the cameras are all inside. Plus thousands aren't sitting inches apart in the parking lot. And if that becomes a concern, expect more parking lot security with cars being screened, etc..