• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's BBall: what do you need to see next season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123
  • Days Won:  0

Since I just recently saw Bill McGillis' tweet, I'll throw this in:

Bill McGillis â€@USFinsiderBillM3 Jul

Unreal physical development by @USFMBB's Zach LeDay. 215 lbs when signed with USF. Now a chiseled 240 at end of freshman year. BEAST.

I expect LeDay to step up and start to become a key player for us. Good to see that he bulked up since last year. He came on stronger towards the end of last season. Even though it was mainly because of other injuries, it was good playing time for him at least.

I'm curious to see how the incoming guys do like Egbunu, Perry and Bo Ziegler. We need a good big man and Egbunu could be that guy as long as grades don't stop him. 

But what I really need to see from USF Basketball is a good game plan. Last year was hectic. We had two plays: Throw the alley oop or throw up a three. It was chaotic and injuries didn't help. Hope we can establish a better identity than that and have a better game plan.

Either way, I'm pretty excited for this year. We really need to have a good year to keep up recruiting though.

I think I saw Omo at the University Collection shopping center last week, and if it was him, he appeared to have lost a decent amount of weight.

How can you "think" you saw Omo somewhere? 7'3 and 330 lbs should stand out!

Thx

jonpfl

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Since I just recently saw Bill McGillis' tweet, I'll throw this in:

Bill McGillis â€@USFinsiderBillM3 Jul

Unreal physical development by @USFMBB's Zach LeDay. 215 lbs when signed with USF. Now a chiseled 240 at end of freshman year. BEAST.

I expect LeDay to step up and start to become a key player for us. Good to see that he bulked up since last year. He came on stronger towards the end of last season. Even though it was mainly because of other injuries, it was good playing time for him at least.

I'm curious to see how the incoming guys do like Egbunu, Perry and Bo Ziegler. We need a good big man and Egbunu could be that guy as long as grades don't stop him. 

But what I really need to see from USF Basketball is a good game plan. Last year was hectic. We had two plays: Throw the alley oop or throw up a three. It was chaotic and injuries didn't help. Hope we can establish a better identity than that and have a better game plan.

Either way, I'm pretty excited for this year. We really need to have a good year to keep up recruiting though.

I think I saw Omo at the University Collection shopping center last week, and if it was him, he appeared to have lost a decent amount of weight.

How can you "think" you saw Omo somewhere? 7'3 and 330 lbs should stand out!

Thx

jonpfl

LOL ... Good question ... Wasn't that close, though.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

win

unless we do well it will be time to cut ties with coach heath

I totally agree. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

A fluid offense would be good.  Something other than what Shaun Noriega described.  I think we need ot realize that that boring and limited option offense won't win games or attract skill players.  I really hope we get an identity on offense.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

win

unless we do well it will be time to cut ties with coach heath

I totally agree. 

And if we do, won't Brad Stevens be pissed he didn't wait just one more year ...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  185

I'm not a basketball expert but wasn't VIctor Rudd playing out of position the last two years as well as a few other players, which could of been the reason for our slow offensive play style?

Also isn't Rudd a true SF and if so wouldn't he be a nightmare match up for us against opposing teams especially with a healthy AC to let him run the floor instead of worrying about getting rebounds?

I think we have some solid players coming back with Rudd, AC, Martino, Leday and Hawkins. With the only need being a couple of bigs which we have two solid ones coming in with Perry and Egbunu. Also is Clayton another option to play in the post since he seems pretty solid at 6'6 245 and I remember reading about his post game being one of his strengths, so would he be another possible option at PF?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  126

I need to see Egbunu make it to USF this year.  Without him we won't even be as good as last year.  Even with him we are still going to be thin up front.  We will only have three serviceable post players in Egbunu, LeDay, and Perry.  Omog is still a HUGE project literally.  Rudd is a true SF.  Clayton has the bulk but not the height, plus he is coming off an Achilles injury.  Everyone is saying the competition is going to be less but that will only benefit the players who played against the better competition last year.  The flip side is playing down to the competition.  Depends how Heath and his new staff are able to motivate the team.  Lots of new faces means a learning curve to get acclimated.  Earlier start to practice helps, especially those teams with a lot of new faces.  This team is going to be very hard to predict.

Besides the question marks in the front court, we need to establish another true PG to be Collins' backup.  Best case scenario has Allen winning the job and Heath being able to redshirt.  But Allen's not going to be here until fall classes start.  So he will be behind.  ?????? all the way around.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  185

Thanks BullBaller.

So if Rudd was allowed to play his true position could we expect great things from him(Dojo esque?)and this team? It seems like he has shown us his big play ability although it wasn't consistent enough and makes me wonder if that was all on him or more so our in ability to have a big man down low?

Also it seemed like AC really stepped up on his offensive game last year and could we expect an even bigger roll for him going forward or is that asking to much from him and taking away his other strengths?

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

A few notes from the off-season.

-No transfer from Javontae as some had rumored on here. According to the ultimately reliable twittersphere, him and Bo Ziegler have been putting in some serious work over the summer.

-LeDay has put on some nice weight. Saw him at the campus rec towards the end of the year and he looked like a different guy. Didn't look all that flexible, and seemed a bit stiff. But hoping an offseason of workouts will change that.

-Hoping John Egbunu makes it. While the reports don't seem too threatening with Coach Heath expecting him in the fall. After the Waverly fiasco, we can't feel too confident.

-Outside of that, not much info. It's hard to make a read. We didn't lose too much, not sure who our sharpshooter is gonna be, but outside of that our team for the most part improves. Gaining interior defense, along with rebounding, while a large part of our roster develops.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

IMHO Rudd is no DoJo and won't be DoJoesque.  That is wishful thinking.  Around the rim, he is electric.  I don't see the same desire to win nor the ability to take a team on his back.  No offense to Mr. Rudd, I just haven't seen those qualities - the qualities that got an undersized DoJo into the NBA.

• Upvote 1