• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RUMOR- around USF area...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

They've been pushing dirt on the southeast corner of the BBD/Fowler intersection. I wonder what that's for.

That was just a very large drainage project.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Never understood why Busch Gardens didn't have a themed/owned hotel near it. I would hope if there is any truth to this they would include one along the lines of what can be found in the Orlando area (I.E. Bonnet Creek, Reunion or Universal properties)

The surrounding area around USF is in desperate need of some sort of revitalization.

Take a look at this mixed use college "Entertainment District" they are building right outside FSU Campus... would LOVE to see them replicate this (or better) at USF...

http://www.fsucollegetown.net/

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Want to stress that this is just what I overheard at a dinner with some Architects and Engineers this past weekend. They were talking about a project near the USF Campus (between Busch Gardens and Fowler) that will be very Similar to Downtown Disney. One particular person said plans had been drawn up to have a multi-use restaurant/shops/entertainment.

I have NO IDEA if this will actually get the "Green Light" but if so, would be a great addition to the area near our campus.

Hope it's true, but who knows...

This really isn't a rumor, much less recent news. 

There has been plans to create an "Innovation Destination" for the past 2 years.  I remember threads about this on this board when it was announced.  It's a partnership of USF, Busch Gardens, and some of the surrounding hospitals.

The issue is that all of the groups can't agree (yet) on how to proceed.

Here are some articles about it.  This is in one of the articles, which many here will zone in on (and will cause disagreement):

"Crist, who has spent years working on behalf of the university area, has a grand vision for the Busch Gardens/USF area. He foresees a San Antonio-style riverfront for the Hillsborough River, on an admittedly smaller scale near Sulphur Springs, a new stadium for USF’s football team near the old dog track and, possibly, a Tampa Bay Rays stadium in the area."

http://tbo.com/news/usf-area-to-get-makeover-399324

http://ntneighborhoodnews.com/en/new_tampa_issue_15_12/news/1376/Crist-Calls-Redevelopment-District-%E2%80%98Innovation-Destination%E2%80%99-Victor-Crist-hillsborough-county-new-tampa-development-election-USF-area.htm

http://tbo.com/news/progress-sluggish-on-rejuvenating-usf-zone-b82485785z1

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you Dogma for finding that... sounds like, (from what the architect said) they are at least working on plans for "something"

We shall see...

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Want to stress that this is just what I overheard at a dinner with some Architects and Engineers this past weekend. They were talking about a project near the USF Campus (between Busch Gardens and Fowler) that will be very Similar to Downtown Disney. One particular person said plans had been drawn up to have a multi-use restaurant/shops/entertainment.

I have NO IDEA if this will actually get the "Green Light" but if so, would be a great addition to the area near our campus.

There has been plans to create an "Innovation Destination" for the past 2 years. I remember threads about this on this board when it was announced. It's a partnership of USF, Busch Gardens, and some of the surrounding hospitals.

Here are some articles about it. This is in one of the articles, which many here will zone in on (and will cause disagreement):

"Crist, who has spent years working on behalf of the university area, has a grand vision for the Busch Gardens/USF area. He foresees a San Antonio-style riverfront for the Hillsborough River, on an admittedly smaller scale near Sulphur Springs, a new stadium for USF’s football team near the old dog track and, possibly, a Tampa Bay Rays stadium in the area."

http://ntneighborhoodnews.com/en/new_tampa_issue_15_12/news/1376/Crist-Calls-Redevelopment-District-%E2%80%98Innovation-Destination%E2%80%99-Victor-Crist-hillsborough-county-new-tampa-development-election-USF-area.htm

This goes back a little to the thread I posted on my conversation with Crist a few weeks ago. That said, he felt a stadium in that area was pretty unlikely. If it was part of a district, though, it could work.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Actually,

I recall Charlie Crist leading a movement to modify the landscape around the USF area. It was featured in the Oracle and I do remember seeing it elsewhere. 

I don't have the time to look up said information (midterm in an hour!), but I remember they were going to try to re-shape the purpose of the area pretty much from New Tampa down to like Hillsborough and generally around the main campus. One section was supposed to be a sort of "entertainment district" and there was one for studying or something along those lines..

The idea was to beautify and "clean up" (see: homelessness & poverty) some of the area so it was more attractive to potential students and whomever. 

There has been plans to create an "Innovation Destination" for the past 2 years.  I remember threads about this on this board when it was announced.  It's a partnership of USF, Busch Gardens, and some of the surrounding hospitals.

Here are some articles about it.  This is in one of the articles, which many here will zone in on (and will cause disagreement):

Victor Crist, not Charlie. My bad.

Still, this is what I was referring to above. 

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Its part of the West University Area clean-up.

Only way this gets a "green light" is if they can gut and rebuild suitcase city, and there are tons of road-blocks standing in the way of that project alone. Why would someone spend potentially billions of dollars to build a Busch Gardens version of Downtown Disney right next to a ghetto?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Things can change, and can be improved.  Anyone remember when Tampa's  Harbor Island was called Seddon Island and was nothing more than an empty  wasteland all by itself? Or remember when the south end of downtown Tampa was nothing but a rundown warehouse district?

Suitcase City may not change overnight, but someday it will be improved and cleaned up.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166

Slightly off topic, but Busch Gardens is also about to announce a new ride. It's going to be a 500 ft drop tower and will be the longest free fall in the world by 100 feet. They are set to announce to the media on June 11th. Also heard from a different source that it will only be 330 ft. Either way it should be fun...

Edited by TExpress17

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791

I know lots of people enjoy really scary roller coaster rides...I don't particularly like 'em.  To me a 500 foot free fall is called a bad accident...not fun!  I like the beer at Busch Gardens and the water rides, but I don't like the real crazy roller coaster rides.