• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF & UCF: Past, Present, Future and the Big Conferences

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I have my feelings against UCF, but I'm leaving them aside for a good discussion.

I don't follow UCF, so I don't know how they compare with USF in terms of home attendance numbers for football games. Also, have they made the NCAA Tourney in men's basketball recently?

In all honesty, I think their football program has done pretty well. I was really impressed when they beat Georgia in the bowl game a few years ago. Wasn't that a BCS bowl? Plus, their men's basketball team has done pretty well with the new coach.

What I'm getting to is this: if you aren't in a good conference, can good performances in football and men's basketball be enough to propel a school into a power conference?

Again, let's leave out the emotions. One would think that Orlando would be a great market. Since USF has been in the Big East, why didn't somebody snap up UCF, as in a bigger conference? My personal feeling is that they've been doing pretty well and improving.

Now, both USF and UCF are in a double-wide trailer of a conference. What can either school do to get into a real conference -a real home?

If USF becomes the king of the trailer park, doesn't that get USF into a home?

Is winning all there is? Certainly, UCF didn't get anywhere fast into a bigger conference by winning.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Yes. But its mute if conference realignment is done.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I can't wait until the season starts...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

I was really impressed when they beat Georgia in the bowl game a few years ago. Wasn't that a BCS bowl? 

God no. It was the liberty bowl or something like that. UCF fans may have acted like it was a BCS bowl though

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

What puzzles me is why, given the head start UCF had on USF, football wise, they were not BCS'd long before we were?

By my way of thinking, could it be that UCF never had aspirations to be other than a 'mid major'? Was just having a team

sufficient? The reason I ask this is, I do not - have not - followed UCF other than their relationship with USF in football. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I was really impressed when they beat Georgia in the bowl game a few years ago. Wasn't that a BCS bowl? 

LOL.... No... that was the Liberty Bowl... and UGA didn't want to be there and played like it. If I remember correct they lost out on a pretty good bowl on the last weekend of the regular season and had to go to Memphis... They didn't give a crap about that game... only the extra practices. 

Edited by Southshore26

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

LOL.... No... that was the Liberty Bowl... and UGA didn't want to be there and played like it. If I remember correct they lost out on a pretty good bowl on the last weekend of the regular season and had to go to Memphis... They didn't give a crap about that game... only the extra practices.

That was one of the worst UGA teams, record wise, in a looooooong time. Pretty sure that loss put them under. 500 for the season....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

What puzzles me is why, given the head start UCF had on USF, football wise, they were not BCS'd long before we were?

By my way of thinking, could it be that UCF never had aspirations to be other than a 'mid major'? Was just having a team

sufficient? The reason I ask this is, I do not - have not - followed UCF other than their relationship with USF in football. 

UCF didn't have the Sundome or Paul Griffin. I think our invite to a BCS conference came in large part from location, conference and our arena .... and football didn't suck so it wasn't a deal killer.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

A friend of mine who was working in UCF's athletic department at the time said our basketball program was what pushed it in our favor. Otherwise, it was basically even in the Big East's eyes.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

UCF didn't have the Sundome or Paul Griffin. I think our invite to a BCS conference came in large part from location, conference and our arena .... and football didn't suck so it wasn't a deal killer.

Also Ray Jay and the commitment to build new facilities.