• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

98.7 The Fan: 50 most important figures in TB Sports

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

I bet George Steinbrenner makes the list too.

For sure ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

Here are names 31-40 of Tampa Bay’s most important people to this area’s sports:

31. Mark Dominik - General Manager - Buccaneers (2009-present) – This ranking involves much more than just what Mark Dominik has done as General Manager the past few years. Dominik has been a part of the Buccaneers front office since 1995. He has had his fingerprint on so many players, it would seem he might be deserving of a much higher ranking than this. Dominik became the Buccaneers Director of Pro Personnel in 2001 and held that role during the team’s run to a Super Bowl championship and for several years after. The years after included the exodus of icons, which ultimately included the release of Derrick Brooks. As a General Manager, Dominik’s story is still yet to fully be told. He, along with the Glazers, completely gutted the team down to nothing in 2009 and started over. On paper, it would seem as though Dominik has done a good job at assembling a team, but now it comes down to winning.

32. John Lynch – player – Buccaneers (1993-2003) – Lynch became one of the most feared players in the NFL with his big hits from the safety position. He played a crucial role in the Bucs defense, while making receivers pay for coming across the middle, but also helping out in run support.

33. Bo Jackson – player – Los Angeles Raiders (1987-1990) - In the middle of one of the worst stretches for any franchise in sports history, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers faced an opportunity to escape the hole they had dug for themselves with the selection of Bo Jackson. Unfortunately for the Buccaneers, the way they handled this situation led to trouble before it even began. The Buccaneers had flown Jackson on a private jet, which they had said was approved by the NCAA. It wasn’t, and Jackson was forced to forfeit the remainder of his school year playing baseball at Auburn. The Buccaneers also gave him an ultimatum to not play baseball anymore and focus solely on football. Jackson declined their offer, signed with the Kansas City Royals, and was then drafted by the Raiders and Al Davis (46th on our list) in the 7th round of the 1987 draft. Jackson would play just 4 seasons, but was instantly a hit and a threat for the Raiders offense.

34. Fred McGriff – player – Tampa Bay Devil Rays & others (1998-2001, 2004) - What many believed to be a Hall of Fame career, McGriff continues to wait for his number to be called. He was one of the original Devil Rays after being selected in the team’s expansion draft. McGriff returned “home” and instantly became a fan favorite, and still is to this day. This 5-time All-Star, World Champion, and home run champion in both leagues made a name for himself on the field, but still continues to help Tampa Bay grow as a sports community with each day that passes.

35. Dwight “Doc” Gooden - player – New York Mets (1984-1994) Tampa Bay Devil Rays (2000) & others - A Tampa native, Gooden began to rise to an early fame with his success at the historic Belmont Heights Little League. Gooden, his nephew Gary Sheffield, and others paved the way for baseball growth in this area. Gooden’s accomplishments have been overshadowed by mistakes off the field, but during his prime, he was as dominant a pitcher as the game has seen.

36. Vinny Lecavalier – player – Lightning (1998-present) - Lecavalier has been the definition of a Tampa Bay Lightning player for 15 years. The work he has done on the ice does not come even close to the charity work he has done off of it. Lecavalier helped the Lightning win a Stanley Cup and is still considered one of their top players and a captain today.

37. David Price – player – Tampa Bay Rays (2008-present) – On a team where pitching has been the ultimate focus since the new regime has taken over, Price has been the dominant presence on the staff. Price’s performance out of the bullpen in 2008 was a major reason the Rays found themselves playing in the World Series. Price was also the Cy Young Award winner in 2012.

38. John McKay – coach – Buccaneers (1976-1984) - McKay wasn’t just the 1st coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but he led them to an NFC Championship Game after going 0-26 just a couple of seasons before to launch the franchise. While some would see an expansion team as a tremendous hurdle, McKay was enticed by it because it meant he could build “his” team from the ground up. McKay strongly pushed for a raise for then-starter Doug Williams, but Hugh Culverhouse refused to budge. One would have to wonder how successful those Buccaneers could have been had Doug Williams remained their quarterback.

39. Freddie Solomon – player – University of Tampa (1971-1974) – Solomon was part of the great UT football teams of the early 1970′s. Apparently, Solomon was also Joe Montana’s primary target against the Dallas Cowboys in the 1982 playoffs, but after he slipped, that pass went to Dwight Clark and went down in history as “The Catch.”

40. Monte Kiffin – Defensive Coordinator – Buccaneers (1996-2008) – Kiffin and Tony Dungy brought what is now known as the “Tampa 2″ to Tampa in 1996. Kiffin was not Dungy’s initial choice to be defensive coordinator, but ended up becoming one of the greatest defensive coordinators in NFL history. Monte is one of the most popular people in Tampa Bay, but it is interesting to weigh his importance to Tampa Bay sports vs. other names.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2013/05/14/tampa-bays-most-important-people-to-sports-31-40/

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

This is a lifetime contribution evaluation then, not as it relates to current importance? Either way, no idea how you can consider Bo Jackson important in any context. Losing him hurt the Bucs, but there were so many high first-round picks that completely flamed out, I think he gets lost in there somewhere. I think it's a list generated for conversation, and it's doing its job to that end ...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

For that matter, Brett McMurphy should be on it.

I thought having Jackson on the list was silly.

The list may be for conversation but still informs us how some tend to think in that Tampa market.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Pre-emptive discussion:

Who do you think will be #1 (If you cannot list one, top 3)? Why? 

I think Selmon will get the top spot here. Especially because of his role in South Florida athletics. 

Let's not get too G&GG here ... if Selmon is #1, it's because he was a great Buccaneer player, the first HOFer for the team and an icon in the community.  What he did for USF is only part of it - a #1 ranking would not be because of what he did for USF.  

I should have clarified a little better. On top of his fantastic NFL career and icon-status, he went from A-AD to AD, started up our football program, and spear headed both of our conference moves (Which arguably, up until the Big East ship's holes got too large to plug, were great moves).

So I'd say he played a part in improving every sport USF offers, not just Football. On top of his amazing Bucs career.

that's what I meant.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Pre-emptive discussion:

Who do you think will be #1 (If you cannot list one, top 3)? Why? 

I think Selmon will get the top spot here. Especially because of his role in South Florida athletics. 

Let's not get too G&GG here ... if Selmon is #1, it's because he was a great Buccaneer player, the first HOFer for the team and an icon in the community.  What he did for USF is only part of it - a #1 ranking would not be because of what he did for USF.  

I should have clarified a little better. On top of his fantastic NFL career and icon-status, he went from A-AD to AD, started up our football program, and spear headed both of our conference moves (Which arguably, up until the Big East ship's holes got too large to plug, were great moves).

So I'd say he played a part in improving every sport USF offers, not just Football. On top of his amazing Bucs career.

that's what I meant.

Cool.  I'm in full agreement with you on that.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Pretty much. Bo Jax. C'mon Son!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Antony Janus - not sports but a high flyer :)

Edited by dabull80

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

LeCavalier behind Bo Jackson and Doc Gooden? Are they high?

In the case of Doc Gooden at least ... absolutely.   :FIREdevil:

When I was in school, I worked at the New Tampa Publix in the meat/seafood department, he used to shop there all the time.  Hell of a nice guy, just a bit loopy most of the time.  Made some rough decisions in his life and you could certainly tell when you talked to him.