• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brandon Mitchell QB Arkansas Immed elig in fall

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

That's interesting. The offense there I don't believe is at all related to what he learned at Arkansas under Petrino. Although when Mitchell was in the games in 2012 under John L. Smith the circumstances in which he threw the ball especially against Alabama were very read-option type plays, which would be closer to what he'd run at NC State.

Jordan Lynch had a helluva year last year at NIU under Dave Doeren. He brought Matt Canada with him to NC State who I believe was Lynch's QB coach in 2011 as well. If this guys' an athlete, Lynch is who he'd want to be like. Passing: 237/394 for 3138 yds 25TD/6INT; Rushing: 294 for 1815 yds 19 TD in 2012.

I realize that. But you have to realize what I'm trying to say. This guy has ONE year left. That's it. This is his one shot to be impressive. Jordan Lynch had a great year in that system and that's all fine and good, but it's not a familiar system at all. The concepts are different. The terminology is likely different. He's going to have one summer to get the playbook and the system's tendencies down well enough to perform. Even if the system has the potential to tailor to your strengths and weaknesses, there's a significant barrier to entry from a mental standpoint learning an entirely new, unfamiliar system. And you've only got one year to do this so it's not like you can have the year trying to get used to the system and then go out and rock out the next year.

That's why I'm saying that the instinct to run to a school that operates an offense with more familiar concepts and terminology to what he's already learned will be very strong for him. That's the allure that UAB has with Garrick McGee. I think South Florida has something of an advantage in this regard over an NC State because Petrino's system with Garrick McGee utilized a lot of the same concepts as Taggart's WCO. Ryan Mallett flat out said he considers himself as having played in the WCO under Petrino. There are some differences. Petrino likes to modify his shallow cross concept to where the back leaks out to the same side as the crosser. That's an innovation on an old classic WCO concept. But there are still a lot of similarities.

No arguments here. I was just saying I can see why he might be looking at NC State. There's probably a good reason he's looking at each school.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Evidently his list is broadening every day. Now the likes of Michigan and Kent State have jumped in. This fish looks like it's going to get away. Too bad.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

UAB????

Connection with an old Arkansas coach there now ...

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I just read the Scout.com blurb from the NC State author. Nice of him to use my video of Mitchell's spring game, lol.

"They've been telling me what they have to offer," he said. "They said they have a great defense coming back and some young running backs that can really play. They have back a bunch of receivers and running backs returning plus some linemen.

"We've talked a lot though about how coach Doeren's offense went to the Orange Bowl last year, and coach Canada has had multiple 3,000-yard passers and 1,000-yard rushers... really strong offenses wherever he's been. They are going to have great balance, and with the way they run their offense, I think it fits my abilities and my talents."

This confirms that NC State isn't just feeling things out with him. They're selling to him. He would probably walk in as the starter.

If the Bulls are going to hook him, they need to play to their strengths:

1. Focus on the concept and terminology similarities in what he learned under Bobby Petrino and Garrick McGee to what the Bulls run in Taggart's West Coast Offense. The shallow concepts and crosser concepts are mostly the same. Focus on how both he and the coaches already have a basis for translation and comfort, from which they can build off.

2. Impress him with the skill position talent, because they're actually kind of impressive. Andre Davis and Sterling Griffin are pro caliber prospects. D'Vario Montgomery may be as well. Sean Price is a pro caliber tight end prospect. I keep saying this but I haven't seen this much legit talent in the skill units in a while.

3. PRO, PRO, PRO. Everything about becoming a pro. That's his goal. If Jim Harbaugh/John Harbaugh and Willie Taggart were "acquaintances" before, they now become "good friends". If they were "good friends", now they become "like brothers". This offense is like Petrino's offense which he already knows, but weaponized for NFL translation. Every throw he makes in this offense is a throw the scouts can translate at the next level. Not only does Taggart have a direct line to the Harbaughs, but Bill Belichick remains fascinated with USF for whatever reason and comes to their pro day himself pretty much every year. Jon Gruden is right here in town. Taggart got his offense from Jim Harbaugh who is at the forefront of translating pure feet/arm talent into pro success (Colin Kaepernick) and it's no coincidence he just drafted USF's last quarterback B.J. Daniels. You've really got to sell him on this point. He can go to a spread/option offense like NC State's and end up with impressive stats, but he's got to understand that as things stand the scouts aren't sure what to make of him because he's spent some time at receiver, he's a basketball player, and doesn't have a lot of tape of him throwing the football. If he goes into a spread/option offense then he's going to be pigeon-holed as a guy that will have to convert. But if he goes to a PRO STYLE offense and succeeds, that shows the scouts he's more than just an athlete playing quarterback.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

He doesn't list us anymore.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9254739/ex-arkansas-razorbacks-qb-brandon-mitchell-mulls-5-schools

But if it's ESPN, it might that rat posing as a human as the "source."

Edited by Beta4East1989

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

He doesn't list us anymore.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9254739/ex-arkansas-razorbacks-qb-brandon-mitchell-mulls-5-schools

But if it's ESPN, it might that rat posing as a human as the "source."

Or maybe we already have someone else in the fold, or maybe the one year of eligibility isn't appealing to Taggart at this stage.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Or maybe it was a typo...?

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

Or maybe he sucks and we don't want him anyway :D

I'm kidding, just so you all know

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

Or maybe it was a typo...?

Hopefully; otherwise that means that we've been eliminated along with Alabama A&M. I know things are bad but I didn't think we dropped to FCS status lol

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Or maybe he sucks and we don't want him anyway :D

Now you know we don't decide a player sucks until after he has chosen a different school.  :D