• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BJ Daniels is a 49er!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Here are the three heisman statues at UF; Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow, all are QBs.

One of these things is not like the others.

F936853.JPG

That's why Tebow is not an NFL QB.

"One of then is not like the other"

Help me out here. All is see is three guys attempting to advance the ball down field. What am I missing?

I kid i kid.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Since becoming 49ers head coach, Jim Harbaugh has shown he’s open to innovation and thinking outside the NFL box.

He’s embraced the Pistol offense and read-option, benched a successful quarterback (Alex Smith) in favor of an untested one (Colin Kaepernick), converted Bruce Miller from standout college defender to fullback and incorporated defensive players such as Isaac Sopoaga, Demarcus Dobbs and Will Tukuafu into the offense as extra blockers.

Now, he’s talking about using quarterback B.J. Daniels, a seventh-round pick from South Florida, all over the field.

Daniels was a four-year starter at South Florida and ranks No. 3 all time in Big East total yardage with 10,501 – 8,433 passing and 2,068 rushing. He threw for 52 touchdowns and rushed for 25.

He’s not the prototypical NFL quarterback at just 5-foot-11½ and 217 pounds, but he’s a fast, elusive runner with a strong arm.

As the 49ers head into spring workouts and training camp this summer, the fight for a job as the No. 3 quarterback could be very competitive. After No. 1 Kaepernick and No. 2 Colt McCoy, Daniels will be going against holdover Scott Tolzien and free-agent signee MarQueis Gray of Minnesota.

Daniels may have the inside track on winning the job, just because of his versatility and athletic skills (he was all-state in Florida in both football and basketball).

“You wonder with the athleticism, just how many ways could he contribute to this team and this roster,†Harbaugh told the Bay Area media after Daniels was selected. “Quarterback position, 217 pounds, 5-11 and a half. Can he be a running back? Can he be a wide receiver? Can he be a kick returner? Can he be a punt returner?

“That idea of being a Swiss Army knife kind of comes up again. And we’ll just see how many things he can be good at. … I think we’re fishing out of a good pool there that he’ll be able to contribute to this football team.â€

If Daniels were able to contribute, it would give the Niners a bit more firepower out of their total roster, rather than having the No. 3 QB just standing on the sideline.

After his selection by San Francisco, Daniels obviously is up for doing anything.

Wrote Daniels on Twitter: “Spoke with Coach Harbaugh & Coach (Greg) Roman, they see me playing quarterback & possibly some special teams! Ready to put in work!â€

Daniels wore No. 7 at South Florida, but noted on Twitter that he’d have to pick another number in San Francisco – it’s Kaepernick’s. Daniels will wear No. 5.

Aside from his athleticism, Daniels’ experience as a successful leader of his team caught GM Trent Baalke’s attention.

“He’s a playmaker and he won big games on the road,†Baalke told reporters. “He went into Florida State, into Tallahassee, and won a game there. He’s won big games throughout his career there. He’s a fearless competitor and just has a lot of qualities that we liked.â€

His ability as a mobile, running quarterback can also give the 49ers defense a challenge during the season on the scout team in preparing to face QBs such as Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Michael Vick or Robert Griffin III.

The Niners’ interest in Daniels as a multi-dimensional player means he’ll have some very busy times in camp this summer.

Harbaugh says Daniels will be considered a quarterback and work and study with the quarterbacks, which he said is a “great way to learn the offense.â€

“Simultaneously, he’ll be winning on the other level of learning the offense at the running back position and then also at the wide receiver position because the quarterback has to know what everybody’s doing,†Harbaugh explained.

There's no rest for a Swiss Army knife.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Niners-Excited-About-Quarterbacks-Versatility-205793541.html

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Here are the three heisman statues at UF; Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow, all are QBs.

F936853.JPG

Neither were the other two ...

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

F936853.JPG

Not exactly a fair assessment of Spurrier. He was a backup to John Brodie who led the League in passing yardage, passing touchdowns, least sacks, and lowest percentage of passes intercepted and then went to the Bucs where he did start. If he was behind anyone but Brodie, who knows? The guy is behind only Unitas and Tarkenton in career passing yards.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

F936853.JPG

Not exactly a fair assessment of Spurrier. He was a backup to John Brodie who led the League in passing yardage, passing touchdowns, least sacks, and lowest percentage of passes intercepted and then went to the Bucs where he did start. If he was behind anyone but Brodie, who knows? The guy is behind only Unitas and Tarkenton in career passing yards.

Ironic thing is that, out of the 3, the one who's supposedly not the NFL qb is the only one with a playoff win.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

49ers rookie mini-camp: Day 2 – B.J. Daniels plays like Russell Wilson

THE GOOD

1. B.J. Daniels. On Friday, Daniels couldn’t seem to throw straight. On Saturday, he couldn’t miss. And he wasn’t just dinking and dunking, either. Daniels was firing bullets downfield and hitting his receivers in stride. When he couldn’t find a receiver, he scrambled instead of checking down, and when he scrambled, defenders couldn’t touch him. He had two touchdown runs that I saw. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought I was watching Russell Wilson play.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/05/inside-the-49ers/49ers-rookie-mini-camp-day-2-b-j-daniels-plays-like-russell-wilson/

B.J. Daniels, who is trying to crack the 49ers roster as a seventh-round draft pick, is accustomed to daunting challenges. In his first-ever college start, in 2009, the quarterback led South Florida to a 17-7 upset victory at No. 25 Florida State before a crowd of 83,524.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/05/11/49ers-rookie-minicamp-eric-reid-comes-from-football-family-b-j-daniels-learning-new-skills/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

He looks like he put some bulk and muscle on.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

He's in the Visa conference now!

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

This helps USF so much in the recruiting process.

Willie T being best friends with Jim Harbaugh is one of the greatest things thats ever happened to this program in way too many ways. 

CWT can literary walk into any recruits home and say "look you come here and you play your butt off and I can promise you I'll tell my best friend who is a head coach in the NFL (any recruit's dream) to take a look at you in the NFL draft."

Lets be honest, if we didn't have the CWT and CJL connection in SF he probably wouldn't have been drafted.

Edited by zarnozdabull