• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Adjust to Floyd

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,990
  • Days Won:  12

No one is talking about the fact that we are going to be a run-heavy offense, and that we didn't roll that out fully in the spring game. 

My point is that 

1. We don't have the full picture of the offense

2. One bomb in the spring game shouldn't be the ultimate arbiter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

No one is talking about the fact that we are going to be a run-heavy offense, and that we didn't roll that out fully in the spring game. 

My point is that 

1. We don't have the full picture of the offense

2. One bomb in the spring game shouldn't be the ultimate arbiter

We also don't have our starting QB on campus right now.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

He had fumble issues not under center last year too.

Fumbles will happen with quarterbacks, but his totals are astounding. Rather play safe if he's showing any sign of this come fall. Cannot have stupid self imposed turnovers.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863

Aaron Lynch as our starting QB.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957

I still think a 2-QB set with Eveld under center and Floyd lined up as a tailback could provide some interesting looks.

- Eveld in motion, becomes WR, shotgun snap to Floyd

- Eveld takes snap, pitches to Floyd for a pass

- Eveld takes snap, passes or runs

- Etc

Would be tough to defend

In my opinion, no it would not be tough to defend. Your scenarios all call for a lot of dead weight. Defenses love dead weight, guys they don't have to worry about.

The option entails making the quarterback a threat to run the ball, meaning that you're using all 11 men on the field on every play whereas on hand-offs you're just using 10 of the 11 men on the field. It's also a way to widen the field horizontally. What you're entailing is kind of the oppsite of the option. Instead of making 11 out of 11 men useful on run plays, versus the normal 10 out of 11 on run plays, you're making only 9 out of 11 men useful on run plays because let's face it Bobby Eveld and Matt Floyd are not run threats.

And on pass plays, what essentially are we accomplishing by extending the center-quarterback exchange into a center-quarterback-quarterback exchange? What is the net effect, other than allowing the defense more time to pattern read, while simultaneously shortening the amount of time the real passer on the play has to read the defense and make the throw (because he's waiting for the center-quarterback exchange, and then the quarterback-quarterback exchange)? You're not adding to the number of receiving threats. Quite the opposite. You have one QB take the snap and hand it to the other QB, the first QB isn't a threat to do anything now. Or when you motion Bobby Eveld out to the slot, is he really now a receiving threat? So automatically the defense only has 4 men to worry about covering instead of 5.

Thinking outside the box is nice, but just because it's strange doesn't mean it's hard to defend. When that high school team came up with the A-11 offense, they were taking advantage of a loophole in punt formation alignment rules. I believe those loopholes have since been closed at the high school level for the most part, and I don't think they ever existed in college.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Thanks for the response!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

Florida QB John Brantley also had fumble issues over spring and into the beginning of fall during his first year starting. He was working under center more than before and got those issues fixed. Practice makes perfect. He wasn't that great of a QB, yet still made it onto an NFL roster. No reason to panic now. I'm sure many QB's have this issue at one point or another.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I still think a 2-QB set with Eveld under center and Floyd lined up as a tailback could provide some interesting looks.

- Etc

Would be tough to defend

Really?  

Dude, put down the pipe.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I agree that a team should adjust to their players strengths, but not being able to take a snap under center is not an adjustment you make for a player.  We play Eveld if Matt can't get down a quarterbacking fundamental.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

- Etc

Would be tough to defend

Really?  

Dude, put down the pipe.

Haha, +100

We already have a tough enough time scoring points and gaining yards as it is, and you want to take an actual playmaker off the field for crazy violation like this?

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: