• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Most Elaborate Spring Game Ever Reports Auman

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,783
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, we'll be over that way. Pick up some of that 'new coach' vibe. On the down side, unless they get right on the decision making bidness, there won't be any schedule posters to pick up. Pretty tough to print schedules when the conference name is a tightly held secret. 

The Bristol Boyz are probably going to show ours tape delay...sometime in October.  :FIREdevil:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I don't know how I feel about this format. 

The DC, coaching one half of the team, will miss out on coaching the defensive players on the other side of the ball. Same with every position coach and their respective players. If I'm on the white team and my position coach is coaching the green, I get no coaching. Sounds like a lousy way to practice. 

I was kind of thinking along the same lines, ie KISS (keep it simple stupid) although I do like the reward aspects mentioned in the article. Just makes me wonder if doing this elaborate scheme is going to be worth the extra effort and time. Was it done to attract media attention, at least make a mention on ESPN? Or is it going to help the team in the long run?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Nice. Can't wait to hear more.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF:

New Format Highlights Spring Game on April 13

The new USF coaching staff will utilize a draft to set the Green and White rosters for the 2013 Spring Game on Saturday, April 13 at 5 p.m. in Raymond James Stadium.

TAMPA - As the USF Football program goes through a period of change with the hiring of new head coach Willie Taggart and his coaching staff, one new addition will be free for all Bulls fans to see at the Spring Game on Saturday, April 13 at 5 p.m. in Raymond James Stadium.

In keeping with his developing culture of competition, coach Taggart divides everyone associated with the football program into two teams, Green and White, from the coaching staff to the administrative assistants. Then, the staffs determine the player rosters through a free agent period and a player draft, setting the stage for the Spring Game, which is played as a traditional game with four 15-minute quarters.

The coaching staffs have already been split. Here is a look at how the staff was divided followed by in-depth information on the Spring Game:

GREEN TEAM COACHING STAFF

Chuck Bresnahan – Head Coach

Eric Mathies

Nick Sheridan

Telly Lockette

Stu Holt

Jon Bills

Tommy Donatell

WHITE TEAM COACHING STAFF

Ron Cooper – Head Coach

Walt Wells

Raymond Woodie

David Reaves

Kurt von Bargen

Chris Chestnut

FREE AGENT PERIOD

The free agent period offers each staff the opportunity to lure one offensive and defensive player to ‘sign’ with its team. The staffs can use any method allowable by NCAA rules to try and secure a player’s signature, including incentives for the particular player. The free agent period started on Saturday, March 30 and will run until noon on Thursday, April 4. The four free agent signings will be announced via USF Football’s Twitter account @USFFootball.

PLAYER DRAFT

The player draft will take place in the evening on Saturday, April 6 at the Lee Roy Selmon Athletics Center. A coin flip on the afternoon of Thursday, April 4 will determine whether the Green or White team gets the first pick. The team that does not get to choose first will then have the opportunity to utilize the second and third picks of the draft. From that point forward, the teams will alternate their selections until they reach 30 picks, which will conclude the first round. After the first round, the players will be dismissed and the coaching staffs will continue to select until the rosters are complete. @USFFootball will have live updates throughout the draft and the full rosters will be posted on USF’s Spring Game Central page later that night.

PRACTICE

Once the rosters have been set, the Bulls will have three practices leading up to the Spring Game to not only work as a team, but in their divided sides. The team will have normal practices each time, but will spend approximately 20 minutes per practice working with their individual teams.

THE GAME

The Spring Game will be played as a traditional game with four 15-minute quarters. The first half will have clock stoppages, but the second half will utilize a running clock. There will be a 15-minute halftime.

THE PRIZE

Aside from the bragging rights that come with victory, the USF Football program will hold a cookout for the entire staff before the end of the spring semester. The Spring Game’s winning team will feast on steak and potatoes, while the losing team will be stuck with hot dogs and beans.

FAN INORMATION

All fans are asked to enter through Gate C, which will open at 4 p.m. Admission to the spring game is FREE. Tickets are required but will be provided at the gate. Season ticket holders can print out a ticket in advance through their online account. Seating for fans will be general admission seating on the East side of the stadium.

PARKING

Parking is FREE and is available in lots 6 and 6D on the South side of the stadium. Lots will open at 2 PM.

SEASON TICKET OPPORTUNITIES

Never been a season ticket holder and want to secure your seat on coach Taggart’s bus? The Spring Game offers first-time season ticket buyers the opportunity to purchase New Season Tickets for the 2013 season through a select-a-seat session starting at 4 p.m. Season tickets start at just $80 and members of USF’s sales staff will be present to help you join the team.

POSTGAME AUTOGRAPHS

Following the Spring Game and once Coach Taggart has addressed the team, fans will be allowed to come down to the field to get an autograph or picture with their favorite Bull.

INSTAGRAM SCAVENGER HUNT

Get social and maybe win a prize at the 2013 USF Spring Game.

- Fans should follow @USFFootball for clues to see what they need to photograph.

- When you solve the clue, go and take a picture with your smart phone.

- Clues will be released throughout the game via the @USFFootball twitter account for a total of 5 photographs.

- Once you have taken all 5 pictures, create a Pic Stitch of your photos so that they will all be included into a compilation of one photograph.

- When your Pic Stitch is complete use your twitter account and send it to @USFFootball.

- We'll put the winner to a vote on the USF Athletics Facebook page following the game.

- Feel free to use your Instagram account to take your photos. Just tag them with @USFFootball and put them all in your Pic Stich at the end of the Scavenger Hunt.

GOOGLE+ HANGOUT

Fans will have the opportunity to participate in an exclusive Google + hangout at halftime of the Spring Game to get the inside scoop from the Voice of the Bulls Jim Louk and analyst Mark Robinson.

SPIRIT SQUADS

The USF Sun Dolls, Cheerleaders and Rocky will be available for pictures on the concourse before the game.

4-SQUARE CHECK-IN

Make sure you check in at Raymond James Stadium on 4-square to have an opportunity to win a prize from USF Athletics.

PINTEREST LAUNCH SPONORED BY TGH

The Bulls are prepping to launch their Pinterest page and are giving Bulls Fans a chance to be part of it from the beginning. Simply show up to the Spring Game and stop by the USF Athletics Marketing table in your best USF Gear and put your Horns Up! Fan photos will be featured at the launch of our Pinterest page.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

The DC, coaching one half of the team, will miss out on coaching the defensive players on the other side of the ball. Same with every position coach and their respective players. If I'm on the white team and my position coach is coaching the green, I get no coaching. Sounds like a lousy way to practice. 

I must be missing something. Isn't this the case for all our Spring games? Haven't there always been cases where a player's position coach has been on the other sideline?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I must be missing something. Isn't this the case for all our Spring games? Haven't there always been cases where a player's position coach has been on the other sideline?

I can't think of a team that doesn't have this issue during a spring game.

Besides the game is the best metric for how a player will react in a real game situation we can get in the off season.  The coaches want see how the players react in a live game not try and control them.  They can go over what could have been done better in the film room on Sunday.

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Spring Games are more for fans than anyone else. To players and staff, it's scrimmage #3/practice #15. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

Coach spoke at a luncheon today and asked the faithful to endeavor to bring 10,000 out for the spring game.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Based on past attendance, Taggart is going to be disappointed.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Maybe they could get 10,000 to attend if they served the steak and potatoes (catered by Berns) to the fans rather than to the winning team.