• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wichita St. & Greg Marshall & USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

IF I believe in my abilities I would much rather take the job at any of those schools Nebraska, Alabama or whatever. Isn't that what Billy D did up in gainsville? Tubby Smith at Georgia, Billy tubbs at oklahoma, Sanderson at alabama.

IF you are a good coach you can turn any program around. So the thought is if you are good you might as well do it in the best conferences not on the mid major level. you don't see high level conference coaches moving down otherwise the bruce webers and bill selfs would go back to coaching in the MVC

Someone get Mark Few, Brad Stevens, and Shaka Smart on the phone. They have all shot down similar jobs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

IF you talking about success I will say WSU has had more.   thats not the argument.  its which is a better coaching job and USF is much better then any mid major job but for maybe Gonzaga and Butler, But Butler is no longer mid major with the move to the BE

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

IF I believe in my abilities I would much rather take the job at any of those schools Nebraska, Alabama or whatever. Isn't that what Billy D did up in gainsville? Tubby Smith at Georgia, Billy tubbs at oklahoma, Sanderson at alabama.

IF you are a good coach you can turn any program around. So the thought is if you are good you might as well do it in the best conferences not on the mid major level. you don't see high level conference coaches moving down otherwise the bruce webers and bill selfs would go back to coaching in the MVC

Someone get Mark Few, Brad Stevens, and Shaka Smart on the phone. They have all shot down similar jobs.

those are exceptions. they are not the rule.

I would argue we actually got a better quality coach (on paper at least) when we hired Stan Heath. He had an elite 8 appearance with great success in the MAC as well as more limited success in the SEC.

Certainly a better resume than Marshal's coming from the Big South with 1 tournament victory.

Let me ask you this: Do you honestly think Stan heath would leave USF for Wichita state?

If not why? Don't you consider it a better job?

Is it easier to win at Wichita state? Absolutely. No argument there whatsoever. Is it a better job? nah.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

No he wouldn't leave for WSU.  Why would he its a lower level job.  Do you leave IBM for less money at some startup? (not saying usf is IBM and WSU is a startup).  But with you thinking Ben Howland or Tubby smith will take the FGCU job after their coach moves on after the tourney.  I suppose FGCU is now a top job as well because they made it to the sweet 16.

The top jobs are in the top conferences bottom line.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

IF you talking about success I will say WSU has had more.   thats not the argument.  its which is a better coaching job and USF is much better then any mid major job but for maybe Gonzaga and Butler, But Butler is no longer mid major with the move to the BE

The argument is whether USF or WSU was a better job for Marshall back in 2007. The only opinion that matters about which was better is Marshall's and he chose WSU ... and it's not hard to see why. At that point in time, USF vs the BE was like taking a peashooter to stop a charging elephant. No facilities, no fan support ... heck, I don't even know if we were flying charter at that time yet. While at that time WSU was coming off a Sweet 16 appearance, had been to the NCAA's 8 times with 9 wins compared to our twice with 0 wins, a fanbase that shows up 10K strong for ooc games like the Rockhurst Hawks and the Aggies of Div II Panhandle State ...

Again, bottom line, better is subjective depending on what your criteria is ...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The argument is whether USF or WSU was a better job for Marshall back in 2007. The only opinion that matters about which was better is Marshall's and he chose WSU ... and it's not hard to see why. At that point in time, USF vs the BE was like taking a peashooter to stop a charging elephant. No facilities, no fan support ... heck, I don't even know if we were flying charter at that time yet. While at that time WSU was coming off a Sweet 16 appearance, had been to the NCAA's 8 times with 9 wins compared to our twice with 0 wins, a fanbase that shows up 10K strong for ooc games like the Rockhurst Hawks and the Aggies of Div II Panhandle State ...

was he officially offered the job?

like I said , Heath was a much better get at least on paper.

a guy who had been to the elite 8 and had won several tourney games coming from the MAC and SEC compared to a guy from the big south that had 1 tourney victory in his history.

the resumes weren't even close.we got the better hire on paper.

let's not act like wichita state is some basketball power. they had a good tourney run in 81 and the year before he took over. otherwise they really had no "success" meaning they didn't get past first round since the mid 60's.

hell north carolina A & T has been to the dance 10 times. Does that mean they're a better job than us?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Wow. Lots of turdflinging going on in here...

"Better" is ALWAYS in the mind of the decider. YOU don't get to decide what "better" means to me, and I don't get to decide what it means for you.

was he officially offered the job?

like I said , Heath was a much better get at least on paper.

a guy who had been to the elite 8 and had won several tourney games coming from the MAC and SEC compared to a guy from the big south that had 1 tourney victory in his history.

the resumes weren't even close.we got the better hire on paper.

let's not act like wichita state is some basketball power. they had a good tourney run in 81 and the year before he took over. otherwise they really had no "success" meaning they didn't get past first round since the mid 60's.

hell north carolina A & T has been to the dance 10 times. Does that mean they're a better job than us?

If anyone is arguing that Stan wasn't the better choice, I suggest you respond to them instead of me.

Nobody's saying that WSU is a hoops powerhouse.

Who said that NCAA appearances is THE criteria for determining if a hoops program is better than us?

I swear, you are the supreme master of making up **** and then arguing against it ... Pretty convenient.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Owen: I'm to drive you to Wichita to catch a train?

Del: Yeah, we'd appreciate it.

Owen: Train don't run out of Wichita... unlessin' you're a hog or a cattle.

[Clears his throat]

Owen: People train runs out of Stubbville.

Wow. Lots of turdflinging going on in here...

"Better" is ALWAYS in the mind of the decider. YOU don't get to decide what "better" means to me, and I don't get to decide what it means for you.

Exactamundo ...