• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wichita St. & Greg Marshall & USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Wichita State is a basketball program that heads up its athletic department (see: No football), averages 10,000 fans a game, plays in a brand spanking new arena, and has been to the Sweet 16 multiple times.

That's not putting down USF. That's reality.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Wichita State is a basketball program that heads up its athletic department (see: No football), averages 10,000 fans a game, plays in a brand spanking new arena, and has been to the Sweet 16 multiple times.

Can't wait till we get one of those 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

exactly and then took a lower level job at wichita st. OR do you think that is a step above USF?

Wichita is a better gig than USF.

your hate for USF borders on idiocy.

what makes wichita a better gig??

the fact that you can live in the beaming metropolis of wichita, kansas?

the fact that he earns 20% less than stan heath?

the fact that they play such power house conference members(and such desirable travel destinations) as northern iowa, evansville(ind),indian state, illinois state, missouri state?

I'm amazed at the lengths you go to put USF down. i get you're a gator through and through and it's unfortunate you weren't able to get in there but please stop with your nonsense. it truly does border on idiotic.

they may have had better success in their history of playing much weaker competition but saying that makes it a better job is like saying Pittsburg State football head coach is better job than Kansas head football coach just because they have had more success.

Take off the green and gold goggles if you don't think WSU would be considered a better BASKETBALL gig, especially back at that time and especially considering "better" can be subjective. Marshall may prefer to live somewhere like Wichita, rather than Tampa, and his lower salary may go further there than here. As Joe said, they're a basketball first program that has averaged 10K a game for at least a decade .... they're not playing in a new arena, though. the Roundhouse underwent a Sun Dome like renovation in 2002-03. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

and yet 99.9% of people in the world would choose to live in Tampa over wichita, kansas. not only that but 99.9% of the people in the world would pick a job that pays 20% more than the other as well.

if we're going by number of fans then i guess wichita state must be a better job than Duke. their capacity is larger after all.I imagine their stadium must be newer.  I'm willing to bet wichita  draws better than UF too. oh wait UF's athetic department isn't dominated by their basketball program. strike 2 against them.

wichita had been to the tournament 8 times before Marshall arrived. let's not act like we're talking about some perennial power here. you have a blind hatred for everything USF. fact is guys leave jobs like wichita state after they have had success at that lower level for jobs at mediocre programs in bigger conferences. does that mean wichita state is a better job than alabama? or ole miss? or nebraska?

exactly and then took a lower level job at wichita st. OR do you think that is a step above USF?

Wichita is a better gig than USF.

your hate for USF borders on idiocy.

what makes wichita a better gig??

the fact that you can live in the beaming metropolis of wichita, kansas?

the fact that he earns 20% less than stan heath?

the fact that they play such power house conference members(and such desirable travel destinations) as northern iowa, evansville(ind),indian state, illinois state, missouri state?

I'm amazed at the lengths you go to put USF down. i get you're a gator through and through and it's unfortunate you weren't able to get in there but please stop with your nonsense. it truly does border on idiotic.

they may have had better success in their history of playing much weaker competition but saying that makes it a better job is like saying Pittsburg State football head coach is better job than Kansas head football coach just because they have had more success.

Take off the green and gold goggles if you don't think WSU would be considered a better BASKETBALL gig, especially back at that time and especially considering "better" can be subjective. Marshall may prefer to live somewhere like Wichita, rather than Tampa, and his lower salary may go further there than here. As Joe said, they're a basketball first program that has averaged 10K a game for at least a decade .... they're not playing in a new arena, though. the Roundhouse underwent a Sun Dome like renovation in 2002-03. 

I'm a realist. i understand we are not basketball royalty but neither is wichita state. just because they have had more success at a lower level doesn't mean it's a better job.

8 tourney appearances before he got there. whoopie.

their stadium barely holds 10k. i doubt they have averaged it for at least a decade.

give us even close to the same success and i have no doubt we could average nearly as much if not more.

fact is we are in a better location(argue all you want that people choose wichita over tampa but numbers prove you wrong-oh and they have a nearly 7% state income tax), we pay more ($1.2m to $1.0M), we have nicer newer facilities now(pretty sure plan was in place after we made move to BE). if people picked jobs on past teams success than Princeton would be a top 10 job in the country.

Edited by Bull94

and yet 99.9% of people in the world would choose to live in Tampa over wichita, kansas.

Link?

not only that but 99.9% of the people in the world would pick a job that pays 20% more than the other as well.

He's making more at WSU than we allegedly offered in 2007. Plus, he's about to get paid.

if we're going by number of fans then i guess wichita state must be a better job than Duke. their capacity is larger after all.

That's one of many factors, when combined make WSU a better program/gig.

wichita had been to the tournament 8 times before Marshall arrived. let's not act like we're talking about some perennial power here.

They've been to the Sweet 16 twice the last few years...

you have a blind hatred for everything USF.

No. I'm just not convinced that we have a better job than Wichita State.

fact is guys leave jobs like wichita state after they have had success at that lower level for jobs at mediocre programs in bigger conferences. does that mean wichita state is a better job than alabama? or ole miss? or nebraska?

If they pay anyone will leave. That being said Dana Altman (Creighton) turned down several gigs before heading to Oregon. Mark Turgeon (former WSU coach) left for Texas A&M and a 30% raise). Guys like Mark Few, Phil Martelli, Shaka Smart, ad Brad Stevens have stuck it out though...

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

all those programs you mentioned were high mid majors......Winthrop is a few steps below that.  All those coaches were proven over many years and some even had major conference experience.  Marshall had non of that and had the chance to jump into the best conference in america.  He chose the safe route because he did not think he could turn it around against the BE competition.  At least that is my take.

WSU has always been a nice basketball program but it is not considered a high level job.  Any job in the major conferences is better, in terms of desireability.

and yet 99.9% of people in the world would choose to live in Tampa over wichita, kansas.

Link?

>not only that but 99.9% of the people in the world would pick a job that pays 20% more than the other as well.

He's making more at WSU than we allegedly offered in 2007. Plus, he's about to get paid.

if we're going by number of fans then i guess wichita state must be a better job than Duke. their capacity is larger after all.

That's one of many factors, when combined make WSU a better program/gig.

wichita had been to the tournament 8 times before Marshall arrived. let's not act like we're talking about some perennial power here.

They've been to the Sweet 16 twice the last few years...

you have a blind hatred for everything USF.

No. I'm just not convinced that we have a better job than Wichita State.

fact is guys leave jobs like wichita state after they have had success at that lower level for jobs at mediocre programs in bigger conferences. does that mean wichita state is a better job than alabama? or ole miss? or nebraska?

If they pay anyone will leave. That being said Dana Altman (Creighton) turned down several gigs before heading to Oregon. Mark Turgeon (former WSU coach) left for Texas A&M and a 30% raise). Guys like Mark Few, Phil Martelli, Shaka Smart, ad Brad Stevens have stuck it out though...

those guys are leaving for mediocre jobs in big conferences. why? their attendance is much better where they are, past success is much better, basketball rules the roost not football. and yet they are leaving for mid tier jobs at football dominated schools. kind of refutes your theory, no?

yeah he's about to get paid by a nebraska, or alabama, or another football power that thinks they can upgrade their basketball program. all worse jobs by your measure. worse attendance, worse history, etc.

they had been to 1 sweet sixteen in previous 25 years before he took the job. hell Florida Gulf coast has a better resume.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

IF I believe in my abilities I would much rather take the job at any of those schools Nebraska, Alabama or whatever.  Isn't that what Billy D did up in gainsville?  Tubby Smith at Georgia, Billy tubbs at oklahoma, Sanderson at alabama.

IF you are a good coach you can turn any program around.  So the thought is if you are good you might as well do it in the best conferences not on the mid major level.  you don't see high level conference coaches moving down otherwise the bruce webers and bill selfs would go back to coaching in the MVC

I'm not going to argue anymore. If you dot think in 2007 (or veen today) that WSU is a better basketball gig than USF, than so be it.

That is not a shot at USF, that praise for a solid program that has a lot of room to grow.

It wasn't long ago that mid majors like Butler, Creighton, VCU and Gonzaga has similar resumes...