• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

While USF is busy focusing on facilities and satellite campuses, FGCU is focused on winning. They will get more press for their win tonight than USF got all of last year. Better hope they don't start taking recruits from USF.

What does our satellite campuses have to do with our athletic program. I know Doug has been taking some heat as of late, but losing USF Poly sure as hell isn't his fault. The closest thing that comes to him dealing with the other campuses is the Sailing team running out of St Pete.

Does this give FGCU some press? Sure. And they earned it. Good for them.

Can FGCU beat us in sports? Yep. Does it mean they're athletic department and university has surpassed ours? Let me answer it this way.... Has USF beat Florida in some games? Yep. Does that mean USF has surpassed UF? HELL NO.

But this should be a wake-up call to our department that there's competition in the neighborhood.

I think the USF sailing team from St. Petersburg won a national championship.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

While USF is busy focusing on facilities and satellite campuses, FGCU is focused on winning. They will get more press for their win tonight than USF got all of last year. Better hope they don't start taking recruits from USF.

What does our satellite campuses have to do with our athletic program. I know Doug has been taking some heat as of late, but losing USF Poly sure as hell isn't his fault. The closest thing that comes to him dealing with the other campuses is the Sailing team running out of St Pete.

Can FGCU beat us in sports? Yep. Does it mean they're athletic department and university has surpassed ours? Let me answer it this way.... Has USF beat Florida in some games? Yep. Does that mean USF has surpassed UF? HELL NO.

But this should be a wake-up call to our department that there's competition in the neighborhood.

I think the USF sailing team from St. Petersburg won a national championship.

Pretty sure they won the "Big Dance" in Tiddlywinks, too.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  183

FGCU beats us in every sport that I remember them playing us - soccer, baseball and basketball - within the last year or two.  They are running good programs down there. Saw their basketball team in person this year. Ran out to a big lead against Lipscomb and then blew it and lost in OT.  Tremendous athletes on that squad.  Let's just hope they don't start playing football.

This year in the soccer NCAA tournament

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=2914&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=205696401 Earlier in the year for Soccer

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=2914&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=205311198 The year before in soccer

So won our last three against them in soccer

http://www.voodoofive.com/basketball/2012/12/5/3733966/usf-67-fgcu-46-wbb-rolls-to-7th-straight-win-of-the-year Women's Basketball over FGCU

Haven't played  them in over two years in baseball but play them on tuesday.

And we've never played them in basketball or at least the last 10 years (as far back as i've checked) so please what have they so dominated us in? :facepalm:

And we beat Georgetown too  :FIREdevil:

But seriously, congrats to FGCU great win for their program.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

At the moment, FGCU>Georgetown, at least in Men's Basketball. Congrats to them!

Just noticed the scoreboard, Florida GC. Those in the medical field know that a GC culture is for gonorrhea so they may want to change it, lol.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

ajerseyguy saying its probably the biggest upset in NCAA history in terms of disparity of school reputations. Also some interesting notes on how rural the campus is with "wild animals" being seen all the time, lol.  Their football program sounds like its in the same stage as Kennesaw St up here where I live, they want to get started but haven't yet.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6060#respond

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Good for FGCU...they had everything in high gear against Georgetown last night.  I'll be rooting for them in rest of tourney, but that sure doesn't mean I've abandoned the USF Bulls.

The FGCU campus located way east of Ft. Myers and I-75 is isolated out in the everglades and they probably do get a lot of wild animals on campus...and I don't mean freshmen.  The beach at FGCU is an old rock mining quarry...walk a few feet into the water and it probably drops right off to 100 ft deep in the water!   Couldn't help laughing when TV announcers described FGCU working out of trailers only a few short years ago...I've heard of that somewhere else before.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

IF and its a big if, they can hang onto their coach they could build something nice in hoops down there.  But this likely their moment in the sun before the clouds roll back in so I hope they enjoy it.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  119

ajerseyguy saying its probably the biggest upset in NCAA history in terms of disparity of school reputations. Also some interesting notes on how rural the campus is with "wild animals" being seen all the time, lol.  Their football program sounds like its in the same stage as Kennesaw St up here where I live, they want to get started but haven't yet.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6060#respond

Slick. Bull's alumni here.  I too am excited about Kennesaw State getting football since I live up in the Jasper area. Think they get going in 2014. They will never replace my Bulls, but it will give me something to do on Saturdays. Who knows, with some of the smaller schools USF has scheduled lately, maybe we'll get to see them up here.

• Topic Count:  169
  • Content Count:  1,251

What does our satellite campuses have to do with our athletic program. I know Doug has been taking some heat as of late, but losing USF Poly sure as hell isn't his fault.  The closest thing that comes to him dealing with the other campuses is the Sailing team running out of St Pete.

Well said my friend....well said

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

Time to fire Stan Heath