• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greed Of 3 Remaining Football Schools Causing Problems.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The only thing that scares me is if the incoming schools threaten to withdraw from the American 12 and form their own conference. The remaining money would go back over to the basketball schools, which is something we can't let  happen. That gives the incoming schools some leverage to ask and expect more than a 90/10 split.

Then the three schools split the exit fee money immediately, and the other schools don't even get $1mil each of it.  Net win for us.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Well here we go. I say if they don't like the split, see ya. We have replaced teams before.

from USAToday

As I reported yesterday, six ADs will recommend how to split up leftover Big East money. UConn, Cincy, USF, Memphis, SMU and UCF

from SMU

@AD_RickHart : "Admittedly, much has changed since we announced our intention to join the Big East Conference over a year ago" #SMU

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

The only thing that scares me is if the incoming schools threaten to withdraw from the American 12 and form their own conference. The remaining money would go back over to the basketball schools, which is something we can't let  happen. That gives the incoming schools some leverage to ask and expect more than a 90/10 split.

Where did you get that? No one is saying that.

Just my opinion of something they could potentially use as leverage if they want a case for more of the pot than 90/10 split. It is a fact that the money would go to the basketball schools if the new members leave (I don't think they are going anywhere). If I were them, I'd be thinking of everything possible. This is a message board right? Can people post opinions here?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Full members at the time of other universities exiting should get the largest portion. 

If a school had agreed to join but was not yet a full member at the time other schools exited I think it would be acceptable for them to get some share of the exit penalties, but not equal share as the established full members. 

I think 3/4 for the full members, and 1/4 for the partial members would be reasonable. 

If a school was not yet invited at the time another member exited and they should receive ZERO. 

Non-full members at the time the other members exited should not get an equal share as the schools that were full members. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

"But the TV contract would be significantly lower without the Big 3."

BWaaaaahaaaaaa.....  I like this :lmao:

Oh yes the USF, Uconn and UC market are really driving the negotiations. 

No, the A12 is basically CUSA+.  The deal is only slightly better than CUSA is getting now.  The real issue is that all the A12 teams need each other.  No one team is going to make or break the conference at this point.  The new teams all thought that they were joining a conference with Rutgers, Lousiville etc..  Now they are stuck with a completely different animal.  Why should they not be compensated as well?  this money belongs to the conference,Everyone got screwed on this deal. Time to be conference equals or nothing at all.

Someone had another good suggestion.  Allow the 3 teams to have the money, but paid out over 5 years.  If they leave to go to another conference in that time period they forfiet those funds. That way they do not bankrupt the conference and then leave with the cash. 

I admit that USF is not "driving" the value of the media deal. Hell, the media deal is so lousy that i wouldn't want us to take responsibility for it, LOL. Fact is, none of the football programs have any TV value worth mentioning, and only UConn, Cincy, Memphis, and arguably Temple basketball do, and evidently they aren't worth all that much either. So i do not claim that USF is responsible for more of those media dollars than is UCF.

That said, a 90/10 split of the $100 million in Big East legacy money is eminently fair, as who should get those dollars has nothing to do with current media value. It has to do with who participated in the conference during the time those exit, entry, and basketball credit fees were earned, and that means it should go to USF, Cincy, and UConn. Because that's how it works in every conference: Schools get conference money that is "earned" if they are members of the conference when it is earned.

So really, the actual split should be 100/0 in our favor. We are entitled to all of it. Thus, a 90/10 split already represents us giving the newbies something they don't deserve. It is a nice good-will gesture on our part, a welcoming gift.  But instead of being thanked for giving you free money, we are getting called "greedy". That takes a big nut-sack, pal. Very ungrateful. :(

First of all all of this is predicated on the beleif that the new teams are actuall "joining a conference"  If that is the case then all of the schools joined a conference that consisted of various schools.  Each of those school brought value to the conference.  So when they agreed to join there was a certain value they thought they were buying into with the entry fee.  That value was based upon the existing teams and revenue streams including Rutgers etc., and the current and potential value of media money.  When those teams left they pay exit fees to compensate THE CONFERENCE for the future loss in value their departure causes, not the value of already paid and earned TV revenue.  This is revenue above and beyond what is already earned and owed under existing deals.  It compensates for future losses not past value.  Therefore that money should be paid to the conference to help offset everyone's loss.. 

Obviously UCF believed they were buying into a conference where the yearly TV revenue would be "x".  They bargained for "x". 

No, nobody ever "bargains for" joining a conference with guaranteed membership. When you joined the Big East you joined with the knowledge that teams presently in the Big East, like Rutgers, could choose to leave, and you accepted the invite with that understanding. So you are owed nothing on that account, which is exactly why legally, you are entitled to none of this $100 million.

FWIW, I would be just fine with USF, UCF, and Cincy agreeing to waive your entry fee. Chalk it up as another good-will gesture. But again, you would owe us a thank-you for that, not griping about what you aren't getting.

Edited by BatonRougeBull87

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Obviously UCF believed they were buying into a conference where the yearly TV revenue would be "x".  They bargained for "x". 

No, nobody ever "bargains for" joining a conference with guaranteed membership. When you joined the Big East you joined with the knowledge that teams presently in the Big East, like Rutgers, could choose to leave, and you accepted the invite with that understanding. So you are owed nothing on that account, which is exactly why legally, you are entitled to none of this $100 million.

FWIW, I would be just fine with USF, UCF, and Cincy agreeing to waive your entry fee. Chalk it up as another good-will gesture. But again, you would owe us a thank-you for that, not griping about what you aren't getting.

Again, he seems to ignore the fact that he's basically calling out his own school's administration as inept and aloof.  UCF knowingly jumped onto a house with a shaky foundation that had clearly showed signs of crumbling.  Now they want to act like they had no idea what was going on in college football.  

I am sure they will end up getting a bit more $ out of this whole mess as a STFU and move on payment, though.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Bottom line is the money in the pot is from teams that left before you became a member of the conference. You were not in the conference when Pitt, Syracuse, TCU and WVU left. You were not there when the NCAA credits were earned. You were there when Rutgers, Louisville and Boise left. So, the math is:

OBE Members Get::

Pitt/Cuse ($15M total)

TCU ($5M)

WVU ($20M)

NCAA credits ($50M)

NBE members can have whatever cut from Rutgers, Louisville, ND and Boise's exit fee's. Each new team pockets that and everyone should be happy. Again, you guys aren't entitled to the exit fees/NCAA credits since you weren't even apart of the conference. The TV contract the new members are getting is larger than the current C-USA contract. The Big 3 are getting damaged in the mess, not you.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Let them whine, they aren't even in the conference yet. USF, Cincy, and UConn are the only 3 AQ schools in college football who will be making LESS MONEY now than they were before, incoming schools can get bent.

And no slick, they can't go back to CUSA. You're wrong. They could try and start their own conference without the 3 of us though. To that, I say go ahead and good luck. We can pocket those fees as well and go independent for a year or two until we get scooped up by a power 5.

Yeah, they could go back. Boise St went back.

Go independent and end up back in CUSA in a couple of years? Have the majority of the new conference come in pissed off? You do know once in they could end up voting as a block against things the 3 original members want, right? Cough up some **** money, get the deal done and go forward.

Boise went back because the two conferences were lobbying over them. CUSA is now full and does not want those who left. Nobody is lobbying them to go back.

And how the hell do you know where we'd end up in a couple years? You have NO CLUE, as usual.

The new teams aren't even in the Big East yet, they have accepted invitations to join at later dates. They have NO LEGAL CLAIM to the current money being divided. NONE.

Like you can tell the future? We are supposed to be in the ACC by now according to you.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Attorney fees for the NBE are being reported as $15 million, so that comes right off the top. And the money coming in is going to be paid over years.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5608#comments

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Attorney fees for the NBE are being reported as $15 million, so that comes right off the top. And the money coming in is going to be paid over years.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5608#comments

He is just wrong on this. His source on legal fees is "Source familiar with the discussions being held during the past three months, estimate that the Big East legal fees could top out at the $15 million range" woulda, shoulda coulda. What part of that is included in the admin fees set apart from the payouts. On top of that his math comes nowhere close to adding up. As to the term of the payout to the remaining 3, I guarantee, he doesn't have a clue what time period that will take place over. The lion's share of the money is in the bank, will be added after MSG tourney and will be paid in the very near term. No one of the payee's has 5 years to pay their exit fees, that's just absurd. Next year's NCAA contributions will likely complete the bulk of the payout's with adjustments up or down reconciled at that point. By next DEC, almost all of the funds will be fully vested.And ND still has yet to strike a deal and they are not coming from a great neg. position.