• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Final coaching spot filled.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Let's hope he stays with us for more than three days...

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Miami Central's coach? NICE!!!

I think that's a better recruiting move than Plant's HC.

Taggart and Co already have a foothold to the Tampa Bay area, now they suddenly get  a strong one to Dade/Broward by hiring one of their best program's HC.

Exactly!!  Much rather have this guy over Robert Weiner.  Can't wait to see the recruiting class next year that Willie T will put together.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it remains to be seen how good a hire this is

good luck

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I thought Taggs was going to coach running backs...

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

After losing Larry Scott, USF bolsters Miami presence by landing Central's Telly Lockette to coach RBs. Taggart & GA will now oversee TEs.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

This is what we need to fill in the Miami recuiting area void left by Larry Scott. Great hire!

And Kevin Patrick

Edited by BullFan98

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Lockette said he made the decision after some prayerful reflection.

"I prayed about it and talked to my family," said Lockette. "It's an opportunity for me to do something I've always wanted to do."

"Coach (Willie) Taggart gave me an opportunity and it was too good to pass up."

Lockette will inherit the job held by former USF assistant Larry Scott who just departed for Miami. Scott was a tireless recruiter in Southeast Florida, and Lockette feels he'll be able to fill those shoes.

"It's a great advantage (in being a high school coach from Miami)," Lockette said. "They (USF) get a great guy who wants to help the kids in the southeast Florida area get into school."

Two players that Lockette has coached for three years and will now be tasked with recruiting - are RB's Joseph Yearby and Dalvin Cook

Yearby recently flipped his commitment from Florida State to Miami and Cook is committed to Clemson.

"These two players are playing the position I coach," Lockette said. "This is a great opportunity for me to present some new ideas to these kids."

"It's a great opportunity for me to get a kid some exposure and coach running backs," Lockette added. "I would love for them (Yearby and Cook) to be South Florida Bulls.

Lockette was moved by the praise he received from his high school comrades.

"Hopefully I'll be able to work with them and help their kids," he said.

The official start date for Lockette has not been finalized.

http://usf.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1479412

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I thought Taggs was going to coach running backs...

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

After losing Larry Scott, USF bolsters Miami presence by landing Central's Telly Lockette to coach RBs. Taggart & GA will now oversee TEs.

Greg Auman is helping out with the TEs?  Cool!

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Let's hope he stays with us for more than three days...

Reading an article from the Miami area that is a month or two old, he said his goal was to coach college football.  He's a 37 year old guy, much different scenario than the last one.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

As much as I like Greg, I do not think he is qualified to coach TE, and I would miss his coverage. 

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

Uncle Luke on the Lockette hiring:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/03/telly_lockette_leaving_miami_c.php

"I want to congratulate Telly Lockette. He's getting an opportunity that great high school football icons such as Walt Frazier and Billy Rolle were never afforded. Lockette is the first African-American coach from a Miami-area high school to land a job with a major college program. On Monday, University of South Florida Bulls head coach Willie Taggart added Lockette to his staff as running backs coach, according to CBS Sports reporter Bruce Feldman.

The 37-year-old Miami Northwestern alum has an impeccable football resumé. During his four-and-half-year run as the head coach at Miami Central Senior High, Lockette was the first coach in Miami-Dade history to take his team to three consecutive state title game appearances, winning two championships. No team from Miami-Dade or Broward has beaten Lockette's Rockets since 2009, when the Miami Northwestern Bulls beat Central.

Throughout his career, Lockette has coached some of the best running backs to come out of Miami-Dade, from Antwain Easterling to Devonta Freeman to Joseph Yearby and Dalvin Cook. During his tenure at Miami Central, roughly 70 of his players have signed scholarships to big-name programs, from Florida State to Oklahoma to Syracuse to Clemson.

I was hoping the University of Miami would hire Lockette following a long tradition of bringing in high school coaches that began under Howard Schnellenberger. In the 1980s, he hired Joe Brodsky, then-head coach at Hialeah-Miami Lakes, to be the running backs coach. Brodsky went on to coach the tailbacks for the Dallas Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson. Dennis Erickson continued the tradition by hiring Don Soldinger as running backs coach.

But, for whatever reason, the Hurricanes passed on Lockette, allowing Taggert to swoop in. No question, the USF coach made a big power move.

Lockette will recruit any kid from South Florida he wants. For instance, Lockette grew up with the parents of the student athletes who are playing high school football. That makes him valuable. And all the high school football head coaches will rally around Lockette. Seeing him land an NCAA coaching gig gives them hope other universities will come knocking on their doors.

A lot of high school coaches aspire to get to a college coaching job. But universities in Florida have a problem hiring high school coaches from Miami-Dade. It's not like Texas, a state that has established a tradition of elevating high school coaches to the collegiate level.

If Lockette succeeds in getting the top players from South Florida, he'll give the Bulls a leg up on every other college. That's why the high school coaches will want Lockette to do great.

I hope his success will get other universities in the Sunshine State, from FSU to UM, to jump on the high school head coaches bandwagon."