• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's "AQ" football legacy

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

Maybe we are the NCAA D1 example of the Peter Principle.

We were promoted to our level of incompetence. Now, we're being demoted, and it will be twice as hard to EARN our way back up. Especially given the environmental changes taking place.

Could be a valid theory ..... if we had done anything in CUSA.

I started following USF athletics in 1983 when i  first enrolled. Since then I've seen us move from the Sun Belt to the Metro to C-USA and to the Big East. Each was a promotion, going from a lesser to a better conference.  IIRC, absolutely NONE of those promotions was because we had proven ourselves on the basketball court or later the football field to be a dominant force that was too good for the conference we were moving up from. We were always promoted because of "potential", meaning our large size, and large and favorably-located market. Unfortunately, those factors didn't help us this time around.

Agree ... which means charsibb's Peter Principle theory is pretty much invalid.

Actually, BRB supports my contention.

Without visible means of justification, we were promoted 3 times. 

Unless you have a different definition of the Peter Principle than Wiki, that doesn't support your contention: The Peter Principle is a belief that, in an organization where promotion is based on achievement, success, and merit, that organization's members will eventually be promoted beyond their level of ability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

OK, let's call my version the Pedro Principle!

(that is bad on so many levels! :D)

Call it the Paul Principle instead .... then maybe we can have a discussion on the Mary Mandate.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Was arguing with some UConn and Cincy fans on another board about which of the three Big East "left behinds" was least deserving of getting promoted to a Power 5 conference and it made me think about our football legacy in the Big East as a member of the "big boy club", in terms of how we performed inside and outside the conference. Here's how it looks to me:

the Good:

4-2 bowl record

25 - 1 against non-AQ OOC opposition. Until the loss to Ball State last year, we never embarrassed the conference by losing to a rent-a-win.

9-10 record against AQ OOC opposition. Yeah, that's a losing record, but IMO very respectable for a school brand-new to the big time.

Some very nice high-profile road wins against elite names: Notre Dame (2011), Auburn  (2007), Miami (2010), FSU (2009)

the Bad:

22 - 34 Big East record. We never finished better than 4-3 in the conference. Worse yet, the trend was downhill, as we've had 5 straight losing conference records.

Never made it to a BCS bowl game.

Overall, i think our body of work between 2005-2012 has been pretty good. The Cincy and Uconn fans tried to say we didn't do much for the conference's reputation, but i disagree. Our STRENGTH was how we performed outside the conference. We won our bowl games and we played very respectably versus some big-name OOC competition. Cincy was 7-9 and UConn was 9-9 versus AQ competition, no better than us. And most of their wins were against small-profile teams like Baylor, Maryland, Duke, and Vanderbilt. We consisently scheduled big name - 8 of our 19 games were against the three Florida power schools, and we also played teams like Oregon, North Carolina, and Penn State in addition to the big names mentioned above. We did not feast on games versus Duke and Vandy.

Our failure of course was in the Big East. We tended to start strong and finish weak, and as a Florida team we were at a big disadvantage having to travel up to the cold zone for conference games in October and November (Florida never does that, e.g.).

I know our last couple years have been in the toilet, but we have a lot to be proud of concerning our time as an AQ program.

What killed us is our age... we are too young to get an invite to the good ole boys club.

If USF had started football back in the 1960's then I believe we would have gotten picked up by now.

The old money schools are doing their best to keep the USF's and Boise States of the college football world on the outside looking in.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Call it the Paul Principle instead .... then maybe we can have a discussion on the Mary Mandate.

Now, THAT's funny.

Not to mention, it's a pretty good nickname for Title 9, LOL

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We have a legacy????

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Was arguing with some UConn and Cincy fans on another board about which of the three Big East "left behinds" was least deserving of getting promoted to a Power 5 conference and it made me think about our football legacy in the Big East as a member of the "big boy club", in terms of how we performed inside and outside the conference. Here's how it looks to me:

the Good:

4-2 bowl record

25 - 1 against non-AQ OOC opposition. Until the loss to Ball State last year, we never embarrassed the conference by losing to a rent-a-win.

9-10 record against AQ OOC opposition. Yeah, that's a losing record, but IMO very respectable for a school brand-new to the big time.

Some very nice high-profile road wins against elite names: Notre Dame (2011), Auburn  (2007), Miami (2010), FSU (2009)

the Bad:

22 - 34 Big East record. We never finished better than 4-3 in the conference. Worse yet, the trend was downhill, as we've had 5 straight losing conference records.

Never made it to a BCS bowl game.

Overall, i think our body of work between 2005-2012 has been pretty good. The Cincy and Uconn fans tried to say we didn't do much for the conference's reputation, but i disagree. Our STRENGTH was how we performed outside the conference. We won our bowl games and we played very respectably versus some big-name OOC competition. Cincy was 7-9 and UConn was 9-9 versus AQ competition, no better than us. And most of their wins were against small-profile teams like Baylor, Maryland, Duke, and Vanderbilt. We consisently scheduled big name - 8 of our 19 games were against the three Florida power schools, and we also played teams like Oregon, North Carolina, and Penn State in addition to the big names mentioned above. We did not feast on games versus Duke and Vandy.

Our failure of course was in the Big East. We tended to start strong and finish weak, and as a Florida team we were at a big disadvantage having to travel up to the cold zone for conference games in October and November (Florida never does that, e.g.).

I know our last couple years have been in the toilet, but we have a lot to be proud of concerning our time as an AQ program.

What killed us is our age... we are too young to get an invite to the good ole boys club.

If USF had started football back in the 1960's then I believe we would have gotten picked up by now.

The old money schools are doing their best to keep the USF's and Boise States of the college football world on the outside looking in.

I'm not so sure about some aspects of that. Rutgers has been playing football since 1869 and they were on the outs for decades until joining the Big East. Plus, Boise is different from us because they have a record of elite-level achievement and sadly we do not.

That said, I do agree our age is a huge disadvantage. It means we just do not have the history and tradition that add up to the kind of "brand name recognition" that is coveted by the media companies.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

...BUT .... wouldn't even the charter members need to be invited by someone to be a charter member?

Indeed! Someone, at some time, would have to have picked up the phone and said "Hey, y'all interesting in doing this?", which, I s'pose constitutes an invite (in the most liberal of connotations) .  :FIREdevil: 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,085
  • Days Won:  469

I'm up for forming a conference like the SEC.

Anyone got the phone numbers?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,006
  • Days Won:  12

We know what is possible. Look at TCU and Utah. 

We just have to do what is required. 

Win, attend, support, lead.