• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference Realignment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

ACC or bust.

ACC and Bust

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Regardless of any other argument, the SEC will never take any schools from states that are not "blue states" in this map.

861px-Map_of_Free_and_Slave_States.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

I also think NCSU is overrated. People have them being a "no-brainer" to the SEC, while "FSU and Miami are unworthy." But, we and UCF each have more college football fans than NC State.

NC State makes a ton of sense if you are the SEC and you are trying to increase your TV VIEWERSHIP and MARKET SHARE. The SEC already has enough eyeballs on it in Florida.

There's an awful lot of money to be made by expanding into North Carolina.

Watch, NC State attendance will EXPLODE if they get the invite.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Should the SEC bring in projects?

2. There is probably more money in adding Syracuse and/or Pitt.

1. No more of a 'project' than Missouri, I think. The last time the Tigers won a conference was 1969. Since then, in the 16 they were in the B12, the Tigers made the CCG twice.

- Before that, they weren't setting the world on fire.

- NC State hasn't been that great either, to tell the truth.

2. Please. Upstate New York and Northwestern PA in the SEC? Really, dude? Hell, why don't we start applying to the PAC then?

- This is all about forming viable networks with 'brand' names and being able to charge more to cable companies for carriage. It makes an AWFUL LOT of $en$e to add a school from NC and

VA to the SEC. The SEC can add practically any 'brand' from the south it wants. It makes sense for the SEC to concentrate on the SOUTHEAST. They are not as desperate as the B12 was

when they added WVA.

- Personally, I can see a situation a lot like what moved A&M to the SEC. NC State would LOVE to move out of UNC's shadow, I think. Going to the SEC is a great way to do that.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. NC State is more of a 'project' than Missouri. Missouri has one of the 25 (probably 23rd) largest college football fanbases. NC State has been estimated at 59th. Missouri is the flagship in its state. As you mentioned, NC State is behind UNC (and Duke-although not mentioned by you if I recall).

2. Pitt and SU are closer to the Southeast than we are to the Pacific Coast.

The SEC needs NCSU to develop a brand?

If the SEC needs population for carriage fees, then why not go with more popular and well-rounded schools in more populous states?

If the SEC can just build brands, then why not select somebody with more potential?

And, wouldn't desperation entail the requirement of being less selective?

I personally have no problem with NCSU. I like the university and see it as a great institution USF should associate with. But, I do not like logical inconsistencies from people rationalizing NC State to the SEC-over other candidates-when they fail their own stated standards (I.e. fanbase size, probably television ratings, national appeal or brand, adding new population, etc.).

1.) No. I think you misunderstood me, or I wasn't clear. I was insinuating the SEC was only interested in "brands'. The SEC does not want to build 'brands' per se, but wants to include teams that are at least on the national radar. I also believe the SEC will not 'tarnish' it's brand by selecting a NBE school.

2.) Yes, geographically that's true, but again, you missed my point - it's the SOUTHEASTERN Conference. There is no way most schools belonging to the conference will accept a "Yankee" school. Being in the SOUTHEAST (read: south of the Mason-Dixon Line) is part of the conference's identity, more so than the other conferences, IMO. I do think Virginia is as far north as the conference will go.

3.) Yes. They want carriage fees. If they could get UNC, I bet they would. Most seem to think UNC is B10 bound (correct me if I'm wrong). What more popular schools, in a state not populated by and bordering a SEC state to you suggest? Oklahoma? Kansas? Illinois? Indiana? Ohio?

4.) More populous states are you referring to? For reference, as of 2012, North Carolina is the 10th most populated state, Virginia is 12th.

Take a look at that map you referenced when you determined when Pitt and Syracuse were closer to the SEC than we are to the PAC and tell me how NC State, or any school in North Carolina does not fit PERFECTLY in the SEC's footprint.

The SEC is not desperate, they hold the cards in this game and know exactly what they are doing.

Please explain my logical inconsistencies. I welcome your response.

--------------------------------------------------------------

There is no need to dismiss my arguments by claiming I missed your points.

1. If you are referring to being on the national radar, it would have to be quite inclusive for North Carolina State University. Missouri has a bigger national profile.

2. Unless WVU is a realistic option, I actually agree the SEC will never actually add non-Southern schools. Yes, the SEC will almost inevitably add NCSU. They care about potential culture. I just think there are more practical choices.

3. The obvious choices in the states you suggested are locked in grants of rights. But, there are nearby states with more valuable choices.

4.At least Virginia, New York, Pennsylvania, and Florida have larger populations and more popular ACC teams without overlapping media markets with the SEC.

Old Dominion and UNC-Charlotte also fit into the SEC footprint well. But, other teams are preferred because of factors other than completing the Old Confederacy footprint.

I did not claim you use logical inconsistencies. I referred to a group of message board commenters in general, who contradict themselves. I thought about specifically saying you were not being referred to, but assumed it would be unnecessary. Sorry I was not more clear in that regard.

Thank you for your acknowledgment, Florida. 

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

This is the quote monster from hades.NCSU doesn't pass the smell test for the SEC. The rumor was started by the wackadoodles from WVU. That is all.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Well, that's all fine and dandy, but wheeling north from Venice today, I tuned in to the 98-dot-7 to cover some miles. 

The contention being that, five years hence, the face of college football will be shiny and new, and with 2012 

as a baseline, hardly recognizable. The all-seeing, all-knowing Oracle (pronounced "Booger")  thinks the P5

(or probably a P4 by then), will have distanced themselves from the NCAA to the point where those conferences

drive the quest for a Nat'l Championship, while the NCAA still contends with a 'best of the rest' type championship,

not unlike the FCS we have now. I think I understood that correctly, if someone else was listening, feel free to 

correct me, but it sounds like the Haves are switching from a velvet rope to a vault door. 

And as some icing on that cake, let's talk recruits. With such a line of demarcation, and associated absence of 

funding (ala BCS), it could be the death knell for a number of programs. Both hosts were in agreement that U of SF 

might be 'feeling it' when all this comes to fruition. Now, they did throw out the caveat that this is just their hypothesis

based on what they see now, but I'm just curious...what would the program be like ten, fifteen years  down the road

in the 'best of the rest' chase? 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

This is the quote monster from hades.NCSU doesn't pass the smell test for the SEC. The rumor was started by the wackadoodles from WVU. That is all.

Morgantown must being a very boring place. Seems a lot of rumors have been coming from there lately... Probably because moonshining is slow in the winter months and their cousins haven't visited since X-mas so sexual frustration plays a factor.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

NC State makes perfect sense for the SEC.  I'm sure they'd rather take UNC, but a NC team and Virginia team make perfect sense.

NC State and VaTech have always been the two that make the most sense from the ACC.  Maybe with the potential ACC explosion UNC would consider the SEC, but that's a tough call SEC or B1G.  I think UNC would still take B1G for the academic benefits.  So NC State makes sense for the SEC.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

NC State makes perfect sense for the SEC.  I'm sure they'd rather take UNC, but a NC team and Virginia team make perfect sense.

NC State and VaTech have always been the two that make the most sense from the ACC.  Maybe with the potential ACC explosion UNC would consider the SEC, but that's a tough call SEC or B1G.  I think UNC would still take B1G for the academic benefits.  So NC State makes sense for the SEC.

In NC and VA, neither NCSU, Wake, nor VT are candidates for B1G - they would only consider UVa, UNC, or Duke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities#Public_.2834.29

I expect the B1G would be more proactive, so the SEC would get what's left.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

In NC and VA, neither NCSU, Wake, nor VT are candidates for B1G - they would only consider UVa, UNC, or Duke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities#Public_.2834.29

I expect the B1G would be more proactive, so the SEC would get what's left.

I never mentioned anyone and the B1G with the exception of UNC.  I said that the SEC would likely take UNC over NC State, but I doubted that UNC would pick the SEC over the B1G.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If UNC bites and decides to leave then Duke is gone as well. UNC and Duke is a package deal per the NC State legislature.

While this is great news, it does **** for USF because the ACC will likely replace UNC and Duke with Natti and UConn. The only way we would get into the ACC is if FSU or FSU and Miami bolt. The only way that would happen is if the SEC takes FSU, and if the Big12 takes Miami.

We might get in if FSU leaves and Miami stays, but I can bet you that Miami will be doing eveything to stop us from coming aboard. Our best shot is if the Big12 takes Miami to get a foot print in Florida in addition to the SEC taking FSU.