• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference Realignment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We are actually having conversations about USF having back to back undefeated seasons? This board has its moments of delusion.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the landscape is sure changing fast

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Could be some good dominoes that fall.

But could still end up screwing us over if things go a certain way.

If B1G adds UNC and UVA, they'll have 16 members.

SEC may go ahead and take VT and NC State to get 16.

At that point, ACC and Big 12 have options and can fight over Notre Dame. If that happens, there could be and should be room at the table for USF, as well as UConn and UC - just depends who wins the fight and if we end up with a beat up ACC that only has to add a few schools, or an obliterated ACC that is essentially the Big East's 2013 lineup plus BC and one or two other leftovers...

The Pac 12 could intervene and take their final shot at the Big 12 schools. If the Big 12 can't get after the FSU/Miami/GT/Clemson core, the Pac 12 may see it as an opportunity to go after the coup. Pac 12 could add TX, TX Tech, OU, and OK State. It would surely help the Pac split into east and west with UCLA and USC in the west with the current six north division schools and the four Big 12 teams would join the Arizona duo, Utah, and Colorado as an East contingent, and really strengthen the Pac 12's reach from Texas to the Pacific ocean. It would also solve the Pac 12's issues of considering lesser schools like SDSU or Boise State, and there's still no way BYU and their religious affiliation ever gets mentioned with the Pac 12 in the same sentence again.

If that were to happen, there would be six Big 12 schools left, and ten ACC schools left...without ND in the mix....merger. And that could make the 4th power conference and essentially lock everyone else on the outside for good. Then it comes down to the Big East's current lineup fighting with the MWC over C-USA and MAC scraps. This is all assuming that sixteen is the magic number between greed and product dilution.

I think you're right. In fact, the more I think about this, the more I think it's already done. There are 64 teams ALREADY in the Power 5, plus ND. I don't think they're going to take any more teams from the lower divisions. I think they'll include ND as a football independent somehow, perhaps in a similar way to how they use to share bowls with the old Big East (and maaaaaybe BYU gets a similar arrangement, but I doubt it)

If they're going to promote one of the "lesser 5" up to the "Power 5" then they're going to have to relegate someone to make room. I don't see that happening. The B12 and the ACC will end up merging after the B1G, SEC, and PAC are done picking their bones. And NONE of them are going to get relegated. Not Wake, not Baylor, not Iowa State, and certainly not Northwestern or Vandy.

Face it folks, we are already on the outside, and it's time to be the Champion of the Lesser 5, 'cause we ain't never gettin' called up to the bigs now.

Power 5

01    IND    Notre Dame (4)

02    ACC    Boston College

03    ACC    Clemson (11)

04    ACC    Duke

05    ACC    Florida State (10)

06    ACC    Georgia Tech

07    ACC    Louisville (13)

08    ACC    Miami (FL)

09    ACC    North Carolina

10    ACC    North Carolina State

11    ACC    Pittsburgh

12    ACC    Syracuse

13    ACC    Virginia

14    ACC    Virginia Tech

15    ACC    Wake Forest

16    B12    Baylor

17    B12    Iowa State

18    B12    Kansas

19    B12    Kansas State (12)

20    B12    Oklahoma (15)

21    B12    Oklahoma State

22    B12    TCU

23    B12    Texas (19)

24    B12    Texas Tech

25    B12    West Virginia

26    B1G    Illinois

27    B1G    Indiana

28    B1G    Iowa

29    B1G    Maryland

30    B1G    Michigan (24)

31    B1G    Michigan State

32    B1G    Minnesota

33    B1G    Nebraska (25)

34    B1G    Northwestern (17)

35    B1G    Ohio State (3)

36    B1G    Penn State

37    B1G    Purdue

38    B1G    Rutgers

39    B1G    Wisconsin

40    PAC    Arizona

41    PAC    Arizona State

42    PAC    California

43    PAC    Colorado

44    PAC    Oregon (2)

45    PAC    Oregon State (20)

46    PAC    Stanford (7)

47    PAC    UCLA

48    PAC    USC

49    PAC    Utah

50    PAC    Washington

51    PAC    Washington State

52    SEC    Alabama (1)

53    SEC    Arkansas

54    SEC    Auburn

55    SEC    Florida (9)

56    SEC    Georgia (5)

57    SEC    Kentucky

58    SEC    LSU (14)

59    SEC    Mississippi

60    SEC    Mississippi State

61    SEC    Missouri

62    SEC    South Carolina (8)

63    SEC    Tennessee

64    SEC    Texas A&M (5)

65    SEC    Vanderbilt (23)

Lesser 5

01    IND    Army

02    IND    Brigham Young

03    BE    Cincinnati

04    BE    Connecticut

05    BE    East Carolina

06    BE    Houston

07    BE    Memphis

08    BE    Navy

09    BE    South Florida

10    BE    Southern Methodist

11    BE    Temple

12    BE    Tulane

13    BE    UCF

14    CUSA    FAU

15    CUSA    FIU

16    CUSA    LaTech

17    CUSA    Marshall

18    CUSA    MTSU

19    CUSA    ODU

20    CUSA    Rice

21    CUSA    Southern Miss

22    CUSA    Tulsa

23    CUSA    UAB

24    CUSA    UNCC

25    CUSA    UNT

26    CUSA    UTEP

27    CUSA    UTSA

28    MAC    Akron

29    MAC    Ball State

30    MAC    Bowling Green

31    MAC    Buffalo

32    MAC    Central Michigan

33    MAC    Eastern Michigan

34    MAC    Kent State

35    MAC    Massachusetts

36    MAC    Miami (OH)

37    MAC    Northern Illinois (22)

38    MAC    Ohio

39    MAC    Toledo

40    MAC    Western Michigan

41    MWC    Air Force

42    MWC    Boise State (18)

43    MWC    Colorado State

44    MWC    Fresno State

45    MWC    Hawaii

46    MWC    Nevada

47    MWC    New Mexico

48    MWC    San Diego State

49    MWC    UNLV

50    MWC    Wyoming

51    SBC    Arkansas State

52    SBC    FIU

53    SBC    Florida Atlantic

54    SBC    Louisiana-Lafayette

55    SBC    Louisiana-Monroe

56    SBC    Middle Tennessee

57    SBC    North Texas

58    SBC    South Alabama

59    SBC    Troy

60    SBC    Western Kentucky

judy and ad should be fired if after the dust settles usf is outside the club

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

We are actually having conversations about USF having back to back undefeated seasons? This board has its moments of delusion.

I don't think it's really a conversation as much as it's him saying in order for us to make it to a NC, we'd have to have back-to-back undefeated seasons....which is probably right. Besides it's off-season, you had to know it would come up, just like conf. realignment and probably an OCS thread will show up :D

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

judy and ad should be fired if after the dust settles usf is outside the club

The academic profile of the school is improving, so I'm not mad at Judy, but if we don't make it Woolard should be sacked.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I intend to see CWT tonight at the Governor's Club in Tallahassee. Maybe I'll ask him why he believes USF can win a championship given our conference situation.

Am I the only one that has figured out that when he says we will win "championships", he is including conference championships?

That's what I've thought the entire time. Is it POSSIBLE that we can win an NC, yes, is it even remotely probable? Not so much.

I specifically asked him about winning a national championship today. He didn't hesitate. He didn't qualify. He didn't bat an eye. He immediately said yes.

However, he agreed with me that we'd have to go undefeated in whatever conference we're in just to have a shot in the playoff system. So, I think he equates winning conference championships with the possibility of winning a national championship.

Not sure what more we can ask for. Let's get our first 10 win season in ANY conference. Then we can talk.

He was definitely talking about national championship in the interviews/speeches when he was first hired ...

I'm going to get picky.  He definitely said that we could win a national championship here.  Since then, he has constantly talked about winning CHAMIONSHIPS, plural.  He has referenced the conference a lot, and he has had T-Shirts made talking about winning the Big East.  Taggart is a really smart guy.  He's playing the semantic game.  Yes, we can win a national championship.  No, he doesn't expect us to win one any time soon.  He does want to instill a winning culture.  When he speaks of winning "championships", he is clearly talking about conference championships.  You have to crawl before you can walk, before you can run.

He isn't thinking about national championships at the moment.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

I have no problem talking NC, but in the right context. I feel a little jaded and just cross my fingers that we win our conference one day. But...

It is possible that Boise State beats a strong Ole Miss and BYU team in 2014, goes undefeated in conference (with decent Fresno and Utah St. teams), and wins their conf champ game, and gets in the top 4 for the playoff. 

Cincy in 2014 plays Ohio State, and the current BE lineup (and potential conf champ game). Same story.

We truly have to be a bully and truly elbow our way there with hard-fought wins and FAN participation (a home presence). 

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Could be some good dominoes that fall.

But could still end up screwing us over if things go a certain way.

If B1G adds UNC and UVA, they'll have 16 members.

SEC may go ahead and take VT and NC State to get 16.

At that point, ACC and Big 12 have options and can fight over Notre Dame. If that happens, there could be and should be room at the table for USF, as well as UConn and UC - just depends who wins the fight and if we end up with a beat up ACC that only has to add a few schools, or an obliterated ACC that is essentially the Big East's 2013 lineup plus BC and one or two other leftovers...

The Pac 12 could intervene and take their final shot at the Big 12 schools. If the Big 12 can't get after the FSU/Miami/GT/Clemson core, the Pac 12 may see it as an opportunity to go after the coup. Pac 12 could add TX, TX Tech, OU, and OK State. It would surely help the Pac split into east and west with UCLA and USC in the west with the current six north division schools and the four Big 12 teams would join the Arizona duo, Utah, and Colorado as an East contingent, and really strengthen the Pac 12's reach from Texas to the Pacific ocean. It would also solve the Pac 12's issues of considering lesser schools like SDSU or Boise State, and there's still no way BYU and their religious affiliation ever gets mentioned with the Pac 12 in the same sentence again.

If that were to happen, there would be six Big 12 schools left, and ten ACC schools left...without ND in the mix....merger. And that could make the 4th power conference and essentially lock everyone else on the outside for good. Then it comes down to the Big East's current lineup fighting with the MWC over C-USA and MAC scraps. This is all assuming that sixteen is the magic number between greed and product dilution.

I think you're right. In fact, the more I think about this, the more I think it's already done. There are 64 teams ALREADY in the Power 5, plus ND. I don't think they're going to take any more teams from the lower divisions. I think they'll include ND as a football independent somehow, perhaps in a similar way to how they use to share bowls with the old Big East (and maaaaaybe BYU gets a similar arrangement, but I doubt it)

If they're going to promote one of the "lesser 5" up to the "Power 5" then they're going to have to relegate someone to make room. I don't see that happening. The B12 and the ACC will end up merging after the B1G, SEC, and PAC are done picking their bones. And NONE of them are going to get relegated. Not Wake, not Baylor, not Iowa State, and certainly not Northwestern or Vandy.

Face it folks, we are already on the outside, and it's time to be the Champion of the Lesser 5, 'cause we ain't never gettin' called up to the bigs now.

A voice of reason. I will be happy when all of the nonsense is done, the rest of us will finally realized the door has been slammed shut in our face and we can move on.

I really do prefer the idea of being reasonably near the top of the Go5 than perennially near the bottom of the 'power' 5.

Edited by BaltoBull

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

ACC or bust.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

The ACC isn't going anywhere. I mean who in their right mind would take Wake Forest? And the whole NCSU to SEC is delusional as well. You have to consider it on a team-by-team or conf-by-conf basis. No way these conferences get along well enough to devise some rational grand plan. No effing way.