• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Yep.....our athletic department sucks

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Yes, mistakes happen, but it seems our athletic department has more than their share of them.  Misspellings in publications, incorrect/out of date information, and poor execution of events.  Its not just one mistake, but a culmination of them which reflects poorly on the department.

No, you just know about every little thing at USF because that's the school you pay attention to.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

No wonder NBC only offered us $20 million.

Is that the new sarcasm font?    :GoBulls:

Yuppers. As ordered by our fearless leader, Trip!

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

"Heads need to roll?? You've got to be kidding. First, national blogs is not "reporting". Second, we must have the thinnest skinned group of fans I've ever seen"  

fyi  Yahoo, NBC, CBS,  ARE National blogs and sites.

Cpl things,  Why did the Cheerleader take the picture to start with and post it, Why wasnt it handled internally and not out in the public forum?  Why didnt USF order these far enough ahead of time to proof them and fix any problems before handing them out?

Having ordered  trophies, awards in the past for work I know they often make mistakes(not uncommon) You need to allow time to fix them, or this kinda of stuff happens. 

Yeah, why didn't they hold off on filling coaching positions and recruiting to make sure this plaque was spelled correctly? Why didn't the world stop for this!?

No one is saying the world should have stopped for this, Mr. Melodrama.  Everything that Dhambuc just said is correct.  They have plenty of people in athletics that should have caught this mistake before it was presented to JBK.  

Huge issue in world events that would keep North Korea from testing a nuke?  No.  Poor reflection on a university?  Absolutely.  USF is a place of education, but you wouldn't know if by this incident if you'd never heard of USF before. 

It wasn't melodrama Mr. Troll. It was comedy, just like your reply. USF is a public institution. What do those two words conjure up to you when it comes to minute details?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

"Heads need to roll?? You've got to be kidding. First, national blogs is not "reporting". Second, we must have the thinnest skinned group of fans I've ever seen"  

fyi  Yahoo, NBC, CBS,  ARE National blogs and sites.

Cpl things,  Why did the Cheerleader take the picture to start with and post it, Why wasnt it handled internally and not out in the public forum?  Why didnt USF order these far enough ahead of time to proof them and fix any problems before handing them out?

Having ordered  trophies, awards in the past for work I know they often make mistakes(not uncommon) You need to allow time to fix them, or this kinda of stuff happens. 

Yeah, why didn't they hold off on filling coaching positions and recruiting to make sure this plaque was spelled correctly? Why didn't the world stop for this!?

No one is saying the world should have stopped for this, Mr. Melodrama.  Everything that Dhambuc just said is correct.  They have plenty of people in athletics that should have caught this mistake before it was presented to JBK.  

Huge issue in world events that would keep North Korea from testing a nuke?  No.  Poor reflection on a university?  Absolutely.  USF is a place of education, but you wouldn't know if by this incident if you'd never heard of USF before. 

It wasn't melodrama Mr. Troll. It was comedy, just like your reply. USF is a public institution. What do those two words conjure up to you when it comes to minute details?

It's actually called hyperbole, and it is certainly telling that you were the only one laughing at your "comedy."  Please don't quit your day job and try to write the next great sitcom.  

I work in marketing, so obviously this sort of thing would be an issue with me.  Incorrect spelling and grammar in the workplace, at events, correspondence between representatives of companies, does reflect poorly on the quality of your business or organization, as well as your education.  

Yes, USF is a public institution, but it's an institute of HIGHER learning ... they need to get this stuff right.  I want my alma mater to reflect attention to detail when it comes to these things.  Maybe like Hem said, it's good that it's gotten some widespread coverage, maybe they will be a little more stringent on the quality of their work from here on out.  

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

Say what you want about this being a "non-story". The rest of the national media disagrees with you.

Say what you want about this being a "non-story". The rest of the national media disagrees with you.NBC, Yahoo, CBS now reporting

@florida_news: #news South Florida gives graduating punter special teams award, and misspells his ... - Yahoo! Sports (blog) http://t.co/EMUQCbBI

@gregauman: This USF football plaque typo story for punter Justin Brockhaus-Kann has, aptly, legs. CBS, Yahoo with posts on national blogs now. #jbk

Someone's head needs to roll

NBC, Yahoo, CBS now reporting

@florida_news: #news South Florida gives graduating punter special teams award, and misspells his ... - Yahoo! Sports (blog) http://t.co/EMUQCbBI

@gregauman: This USF football plaque typo story for punter Justin Brockhaus-Kann has, aptly, legs. CBS, Yahoo with posts on national blogs now. #jbk

Heads need to roll?? You've got to be kidding. First, national blogs is not "reporting". Second, we must have the thinnest skinned group of fans I've ever seen ...

A sign you're old. A blog is sadly considered "reporting" in the 21st century. Given social media, this story has been seen more times than you could imagine.

And yes, it's funny it was blown up by USF fans. If voodoo5 didn't post it, not many people would have noticed. Greg may have written a blurb about it.

Edited by SattyBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

Probably because she just thought it was funny and completely underestimated the number of losers who would run with a story like this, looking to fill space on the Internets (No offense, Greg) and the "uproar" it would cause. 

• Upvote 1

Say what you want about this being a "non-story". The rest of the national media disagrees with you.

Say what you want about this being a "non-story". The rest of the national media disagrees with you.NBC, Yahoo, CBS now reporting

NBC, Yahoo, CBS now reporting

Heads need to roll?? You've got to be kidding. First, national blogs is not "reporting". Second, we must have the thinnest skinned group of fans I've ever seen ...

A sign you're old. A blog is sadly considered "reporting" in the 21st century. Given social media, this story has been seen more times than you could imagine.

And yes, it's funny it was blown up by USF fans. If voodoo5 didn't post it, not many people would have noticed. Greg may have written a blurb about it.

Yes, I am old ... and it is sad that blogs are considered "reporting".

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

I've been a defender of the department on this board for a long time but I have to say, this really breaks through my defense. 

How many people's desks did this cross? Did no one, within the USF Athletic Department have enough:

1. Competence in their profession 

2. Passion for the program

3. EFFORT

to just get this right? Someone designed this, printed it, and handled it prior to it's gifting, and not one of those people caught this. 

It's not the error that's the problem. It's the fact that it occurred. Anyone here in business knows intuitively that for an organization to be great, greatness permeates through the organization, and trickles down from top to bottom. It's not a just a job you do half-ass for 40 a week. It's a belief you hold. 

Even if you disagree with what I'm saying, you love this program, presumably. You, like me, probably have more passion in your little toe for this program than what is exemplified by the department in this error. 

I was at the UL game. I saw Doug and Judy schmoozing the donors and courtside folks. And god bless them for doing so; these donors keep our program alive, and I thank them personally when I see them. But when the student section is 140 deep in a 40k enrollment institution, and when errors like this show up, it is only natural for people to wonder if real leadership is happening. Leadership in the sense that everyone in the organization will fight tooth and nail for greatness. 

They are decorating the house, though the neighborhood is deteriorating and there's a structural problem. 

I forgive the error. Typos happen all the time. I don't forgive the trend. I don't forgive the structural organizational problems. Keep schmoozing the upper court; your future is on the other end. Keep decorating the house; the studs below are giving out. 

Edited by hm101
  • Upvote 1

Yes, mistakes happen, but it seems our athletic department has more than their share of them.  Misspellings in publications, incorrect/out of date information, and poor execution of events.  Its not just one mistake, but a culmination of them which reflects poorly on the department.

No, you just know about every little thing at USF because that's the school you pay attention to.

This.