• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN Q&A with Aresco

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Days Won:  12

I think Mike Aresco has taken an awful situation and done a commendable job. It's hard to parse out what effect he has had, but he has his head on straight, whereas previous commissioners had me throwing my laptop off a cliff. 

So I think it's a story of growth. That's what we're looking for, we're trying to grow. We think we can compete. Our goal is to be competing with the five conferences that are perceived as the five power conferences.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

I think Mike Aresco has taken an awful situation and done a commendable job. It's hard to parse out what effect he has had, but he has his head on straight, whereas previous commissioners had me throwing my laptop off a cliff. 

So I think it's a story of growth. That's what we're looking for, we're trying to grow. We think we can compete. Our goal is to be competing with the five conferences that are perceived as the five power conferences.

Gonna have to play and beat the Big 5 to change anyones mind.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

big east is dead conference walking

they have nothing to offer

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

The problem is that with 4 of those Big 5 going to 9 conference games, it's going to be tough to get on their schedules.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The problem is that with 4 of those Big 5 going to 9 conference games, it's going to be tough to get on their schedules.

This.

Although, to be fair, most will end up dropping their FCS games due to SOS concerns, so there MIGHT be an opening to get some 1-n-done paygames

Still and all, from the power conference teams' perspectives, there's more down than up to scheduling USF.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

B1G teams will be the most likely to take games with USF/UCF.  they have no warm winter game trips in conf.  and lots of big $$$ alums in FL

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

This.

Although, to be fair, most will end up dropping their FCS games due to SOS concerns, so there MIGHT be an opening to get some 1-n-done paygames

Still and all, from the power conference teams' perspectives, there's more down than up to scheduling USF.

Barry Alvarez has basically said that the B1G teams are done scheduling FCS.  Trying to get an agreement between conferences would not be a bad thing, but many of the big 5 conferences will try to just schedule each other.

Reality for the new conference is that they must work to capitalize on all their games against them, including bowls.  It must be a gradual build up with a goal to expand the prominence of the conference by growing the teams in the conferences.  Doing so can provide more financial windfalls down the line.  The greatest effort must go towards building each team up.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Previous commissioners had member schools with hidden agendas pulling strings and they took the fall for it. Doesn't matter who the commish was back then, they would have looked bad because they were in the middle of a no win mess.