• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

A wall around the "Power conferences" will just show that they have crappy programs that lose not only to other power conferences but to their own conference mates too. At some point in time they may be booted like Temple was from The Big East.

That may be true, but there are three traditional, power schools in Florida: UF, FSU, and Miami. They're not going anywhere. Who would boot out a BC, Indiana, or Iowa State-type program and take USF? I don't think anyone. If the ACC survives and FSU and Miami are still there, they certainly won't need a third Florida team. There's no way we're ever going to the SEC. B12, B1G, and PAC just don't make sense. We're back where we started--there's no place for us at the big boy table. There just isn't. And as Balto showed, we can pull a Boise State and have a decade-long run of 1 or 2 loss seasons and we still won't make sense to be picked up by a power conference. It's over. We're done.

What happens 30 years from now or 40 years from now doesn't interest me. What happens 5, 10, or 15 years from now is what's relevant and we're well on the outside looking in.

We're probably right where we should be, but what stings is that we had a taste of the big boy table and got kicked out of it.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

In the end, there will be four conferences, and the ACC will not be one of them.

For the forseeable future - at least he next 20 years - USF will not be in one of them either.

Whether we end up in the nBE or the nACC, we will still be on the outside looking in (nBE already on the outside, and the only way we get in the nACC is if it gets raided, which is what will put it on the outside too). My preference would be the nACC, since it's more regional, and more USF fans can drive to away games. The nBE, nACC, MAC, SBC, and MWC will be a "second-tier" league, and the FCS schools will be the "third-tier" league. Nothing we can do about it - unless Congress steps in, it's inevitable.

In any event, we need to make the best of the **** sandwich we have, and dominate whatever conference we end up in.

One of the ways to "make the best of it" would be for our fans to show up, REGARDLESS of the opponent. I watch USF games to watch USF play, not to watch the opponent. As Stuben pointed out, ticket sales have a direct correlation to desirability of opponent. If we ever want to get to the big boys table, THIS has to change.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Well, I guess we may as well just close up shop, cut our losses, and cheer for the womens softball team.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Well, I guess we may as well just close up shop, cut our losses, and cheer for the womens softball team.

Exactly the opposite. Go out and support our football team, and urge everyone else to do so too.

THIS IS BULL NATION - WE ARE THE BULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but we'd better get used to being in a violation conference, playing violation teams, having very little money to spend on athletics, and going to violation bowls. We're now minor league. Having said that, it can be a lot of fun. There's still plenty of pride to root for. Our alma mater still has a football team. But, if like many on here, your ambition for USF was to break into the big time and earn a spot with the big boys (to become, and I cringe, part of the "big 4 in Florida") . . .well, that's not going to happen anymore.

The faster we accept what's happened and get used to being relegated to the minor league, the better. BUT, I don't think Tampa fans are going to embrace that. We won't be getting 50K average attendance. We won't be going to a marquee bowl, etc. And we're never going to be realizing TV revenues of $20-30 mill per year per team. The progress of USF football has been knocked back a decade and our climb is going to be a LOT slower now.

But, since you make the brilliant suggestion to close up shop and cheer for women's softball, how do you really see all this playing out for USF? Where do you see hope in our current situation?

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

I think to a large degree, yes. As Winderberg said, 'it's done'.

My understanding is we will receive a windfall from the majority of the BE teams leaving. Am I wrong? I think we should spend that money on athletics while we have it. 

I think it's prudent to abandon the idea of the indoor practice facility for now. We should pay off as much of the athletic debt as possible. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Wollard receive a bonus or 'parting gift' of ANY SORT. He has made enough at USF with precious little, other than facilities to show for it.

If I were being fair and truly forward thinking, I would invest the money we (may) have coming in as many of the team sports as possible, especially non-revenue sports. Let's allow the windfall to benefit everyone. Honestly, I would not invest that much more in football. It's a non-starter. Pay off what we bought, bring in a new AD and adjust to the new realities. Let CWT's contract run it's course and then re-evaluate. If he is successful with what he has and wants to stay, great! If not, move on.

As I've said before, this is our chance to get off the treadmill and stop throwing good money after bad. USF can cut it's losses and move on. Continuing to 'chase the dream' will ultimately cost the university too much.

I truly think those still 'chasing the dream' are not looking at the situation with open eyes and allowing pride and jealousy to cloud their opinion.

I support USF Athletics and have given many thousands of dollars to various sports, but I think it's time to refocus our priorities and reposition ourselves as an academic institution. Honestly, I do feel disappointed and jealous of the 'Big 3' as well - it really bothers me.

But really, seeing the realities as they are, I (and I think most of us) would much rather be an alumni of a Tulane-type institution, (once a member of the SEC for Christ's sake!) with excellent academics than a Southern Miss, our former conference mate in the Metro that was left behind and is now no better from an athletic or academic perspective than they were.  

Just my two-cents.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

No, but we'd better get used to being in a violation conference, playing violation teams, having very little money to spend on athletics, and going to violation bowls. We're now minor league. Having said that, it can be a lot of fun. There's still plenty of pride to root for. Our alma mater still has a football team. But, if like many on here, your ambition for USF was to break into the big time and earn a spot with the big boys (to become, and I cringe, part of the "big 4 in Florida") . . .well, that's not going to happen anymore.

The faster we accept what's happened and get used to being relegated to the minor league, the better. BUT, I don't think Tampa fans are going to embrace that. We won't be getting 50K average attendance. We won't be going to a marquee bowl, etc. And we're never going to be realizing TV revenues of $20-30 mill per year per team. The progress of USF football has been knocked back a decade and our climb is going to be a LOT slower now.

But, since you make the brilliant suggestion to close up shop and cheer for women's softball, how do you really see all this playing out for USF? Where do you see hope in our current situation?

Excellent post, Widerberg.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Chicken Little's everywhere; conference realignment has more to come and is not yet finished. The truth is that none of you have a f*cking clue what's going to happen, myself included. I hope none of you run or are in a power position of anything important, these knee jerk responses are ridiculous.

skyfalling.jpg

Edited by Hem

Chicken Little's everywhere; conference realignment has more to come and is not yet finished. The truth is that none of you have a f*cking clue what's going to happen, myself included. I hope none of you run or are in a power position of anything important, these knee jerk responses are ridiculous.

Well, for one, none of us has any influence on this at all. Not even a little. It's happening to our school, so we do have a vested interest, but we're spectators. Second, all we can do is comment and fuss about what we're seeing. Unless you're privy to information we the Chicken Littles are not, what are you so excited and hopeful for?

Seems to me that the best case scenario involves the ACC needing to reload with us, but as others have said, then that would mean the ACC is as devalued as the BE was/is, and we'd still be on the outside looking in. Conference realignment isn't done, but that's only because the Power 4/5 haven't finished consolidating their power yet. In what reasonable reality do you see us being included in that consolidation of power? Which Power conference would want USF if you're really honest about it?

I admit, I'm pessimistic. I'm damned pessimistic. I don't want to be. I'd LOVE to be jumping up and down and celebrating an invite to the B12 or anywhere else. But, I just don't see any possibility of that based on what's happened, why it appears to be happening, and on what we can try to predict will happen based on statements from the likes of the B1G, etc. about wanting to cut OOC games.

It's bad news and more bad news, just about every day. Talking about it makes us Chicken Little's, I guess. To me, seeing what's happening and thinking we're going to come out smelling like roses is kind of, well, delusional. That's magical thinking right there.