• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

Ironically, UConn and Cincinnati hurt themselves by publicly pursuing another conference.

Edited by Florida Bull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

Ironically, UConn and Cincinnati hurt themselves by publicly pursuing another conference.

I am still not sure if they get an ACC invite by June they wont part bball with C7 and football in MAC.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I am still not sure if they get an ACC invite by June they wont part bball with C7 and football in MAC.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

No, far from being negative...it's more of a balanced assessment.

Let's look at "averaging 50K". As of 2011 USF averaged - lifetime - around 35K. After the initial season, we dropped from 33K to 27K. Attendance averaged when we joined CUSA to around 28k . Then when we joined the Big East attendance averaged around 44K,  with a noticeable drop off after the 2009 season.

As we moved up in conference status (IAA, IA indy, CUSA, BE) attendance - which I translate to interest - moved up as well. As conferences draw the line between have and have not,  with US of F standing on the wrong side of the velvet rope, I don't see how  there's going to be an increase in attendance (interest), let along averaging 50K  (average...the midpoint...averaging) as we admittedly play in CUSA-II.

Then lets consider the TV contract. Face it, as much fun as it is to blame both the Big East and The Trilateral Commission for the lack of money flowing to the conference, I'm pretty sure that, like most things in life, there is a perceived value and that is exactly what you'll get paid. I've got Michigan and Ohio State on this channel and Uconn and Memphis as an option...what to do, what to do? Nobody is out to screw a conference, it's just that well...we're not exactly top shelf. If we were,

well, we wouldn't be expressing disdain over the paychecks.

No, far from being negative it's being realistic, which I know has limited shelf life on the board. My contention is that managed expectations for a team that has, at best, been average, would fall along the lines of winning some conference championships, which I'm pretty sure they don't just hand out. Remember, when you're on this side of the rope, your recruiting reflects that, so I don't know what the pitch is gonna be going forward, but that "we're a BCS school" needs to be scratched through.

We'll see, though. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but like someone said earlier...I'll just wait until the season starts before I fall in love. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  686
  • Content Count:  7,657
  • Days Won:  6

Not sure about UConn but Cincinnati would be foolish to not join C7 and MAC if these tv deals go through and are 5 or 6 year terms.  They would make about 2 1/2 times the revenue and I think the C7 would jump at getting Cincy in the fold.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

Whit (Cincys AD) is a greedy SOB, and is using WVU 2005 AD basis. If there was one who would try C7/football split it would be him.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think the thing that bothers me about this deal is NBC Sports. It's a dying channel.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I think the thing that bothers me about this deal is NBC Sports. It's a dying channel.

Not really. It's just a rebranded Versus. It'll take them a while to find and exploit their niche, but I wouldn't call it dying.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

It's been rebranded for a year and outside of the Olympics, its been a massive failure.

http://m.deadspin.com/5972528/nobody-is-watching-nbc-sports-network

Its a bad network. Bad deal. Stay on ESPN.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I think you are wrong. they are just rolling it out.

Direct TV recently moved NBC sports from channel 603 to 220. It's now positioned with the top sports stations (espn, nfl, MLB, nba). . . . The 600s are where the where the fringe sports channels are.