• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

what if situation---

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

How would you feel if USF had a great season this next year (or even two years)--- including winning a Big East Championship BUT as a result.... another school came along and snatched up CWT?

I think I wouldn't mind finding out how that feels at all myself.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  476
  • Days Won:  0

Let's hope that situation exists! Sure our athletic budget is going to be feeling the pinch: significant recent expenditures, likely poor ticket sales next year, Holtz making $500K per year, and a TV contract they may not materialize well for USF. Will be tough to pony up to keep him.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,637
  • Days Won:  3

I honestly have never understood how this can even be debated.  I would love to hear the arguments for anyone wanting anything less than the best outcome for our program each and every year just to hang onto a coach.  The better a program does, the better the candidates that show up at our door with their resumes, right?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Better than hiring a new coach after firing CWT after two disgraceful seasons (see: Holtz).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

I honestly have never understood how this can even be debated.  I would love to hear the arguments for anyone wanting anything less than the best outcome for our program each and every year just to hang onto a coach.  The better a program does, the better the candidates that show up at our door with their resumes, right?

I am weighing the joy of having a couple of great seasons versus the realization that other programs would scoop up any good coach we have. I know several tried to grab CJL when he was doing well-- Bama supposedly.

It's a tricky situation-- you feel awesome about the team but terrible about how others perceive the school.

I guess it can be said it can happen to any school--- with people thinking Saban would leave Bama for the NFL again. But you sure as heck wouldn't see him going to another SEC school (like was rumored with LSU's Hat).

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I am weighing the joy of having a couple of great seasons versus the realization that other programs would scoop up any good coach we have. I know several tried to grab CJL when he was doing well-- Bama supposedly.

It's a tricky situation-- you feel awesome about the team but terrible about how others perceive the school.

I guess it can be said it can happen to any school--- with people thinking Saban would leave Bama for the NFL again. But you sure as heck wouldn't see him going to another SEC school (like was rumored with LSU's Hat).

I doubt we would see Taggart go to another big east team.

I think any college program is a stepping stone job.

rather have a coach hired away than fired anyday.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

I would be ok with it only if he whens the Big East and wins a BCS bowl.   Otherwise, he is chained to USF.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

While it would be hard to turn down offers from certain "blue blood" schools, I hold out some hope that we can pay CWT enough to keep him happy at home. I'm not naive, but it's a possibility he might want to stay and make it a career at USF. After all, if he came here because he thought he could win a national championship here (I remember him saying that a few times after he was hired), then the only reason to leave would be money. But once you hit certain millions and millions of dollars, staying close to family and earing a paycheck near where you were born and raised becomes that more important.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

It would feel a hell of a lot better than getting progressively worse over three years and finishing a 3-9 season with paying 2.5 million to fire a coach.

I would like to think we could throw some money around a la Louisville and keep him around with some success.  A little success could turn USF athletics into a cash machine.  As noted with a few of our games in previous years, a highly ranked and anticipated team at USF will drive the fanbase exponentially.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

I hope we have this problem, but I don't think we will.

That being said, little indicates to me he would jump off after one year. He was rumored to be up for bigger jobs, and could have easily either pushed harder for those jobs or stayed one more year at WKU, his alma mater and a school he loved. He doesn't seem like a Butch Jones or a Tuberville or a Graham or Edsell. He seems like a high integrity guy and I believe he would have to have astronomical success in the next two years to jump so quickly.