• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should we be concerned?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

CWT has hired a number of wku coaches and stff. Now recruiting a few wku commits. We all know how hard it is to win in the BE. Can assistants, recruits and operations guys from at the wvu level make it a level up?

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Pretty soon we'll be in the same conference, so it's not concerning at all.  Good to get a leg up on our competition.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

Pretty soon we'll be in the same conference, so it's not concerning at all.  Good to get a leg up on our competition.

+1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

CWT has hired a number of wku coaches and stff. Now recruiting a few wku commits. We all know how hard it is to win in the BE. Can assistants, recruits and operations guys from at the wvu level make it a level up?

I have been wondering the same thing

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

you guys can find more things to worry about.  CWT has a great belnd of highly experienced older coaches and young up and  comers.  enjoy the ride

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Come on....

Get on Willie's Bus.......

Go Bulls.........

Independance before C-DOA

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Come on....

Get on Willie's Bus.......

Go Bulls.........

Independance before C-DOA

Soooo..... what you're saying is to hop on a willie and all will be ok?

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Thing is that CWT has evaluated these players so he is confident they can compete at the current Big East's level.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

I would be more concerned if he didn't recruit florida and this area so heavily at WKU. The only thing now that changes is a higher level in talent. Hopefully he is the driving force on offense and his Defensive staff looks pretty good so far in DC and DB coaches with major NFL and College experience respectfully... Admin guys just have to adjust their baseline for talent in the area not much different from that outside of the resources and facilities.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

to address one part of that, I don't think you can read much into this years recruiting class.  It is obviously going to be a mix of guys that Holtz recruited to USF, maybe a few that Taggart liked at WKU, and then a few that Taggart will get to USF.  However recruiting starts very early in a prep athletes career these days.  Of course it is a concern that we are not going to get the best class that we could have but realistically after the season we had and the coaching change there is just no reason to think long term this is reflective of what our recruiting will be going forward.  As far as I've seen the extent of Taggart recruiting WKU players is an offensive lineman who is actually very highly regarded as a player and was going to WKU because few programs recruited him due to academics and one RB.  I think Taggart really wants to get a RB in, its quite crucial to have 3-4 RB's and at this point we have no RB's in the fold, but how do you put that on Taggart as he's had one high school recruiting weekend, and spent the rest of the time either touching base with the current commits, or during contact dead periods, or the first weekend with JUCO's. You've got to prioritize keeping the class together first so that was the right move on his part. IMO characterizing the recruiting class based on 2 recruits is overreacting 

We are most likely going to see better recruiting classes than we ever have before with either Holtz or Leavitt. I just see no way Taggart doesn't get more talent here than we've seen.

To address the coaching and staff questions, from an operational stand point it'd be pretty easy to make the argument that due to limited resources at smaller programs the office guys are at a marked disadvantage at places like WKU compared to USF.  I really don't think there is any reason to be concerned there. 

As far as coaches, at this point we are only looking at 3 of the 9 coaches coming over from WKU to coach here.  Woodie is going to be the 4th defensive coach and will likely be the 2nd DL coach.  And given our first two defensive hires, I'm not sure Woodie will be coaching at all.  But Woodie was always coming over because of his recruiting abilities.  That is something that's going to translate pretty well.  If he was previously selling WKU, he's going to be better selling USF. 

The biggest questions are the two offensive assistants, Sheridan and Wells.  And these guys are handling he most important offensive coaching positions. I can't do or say much to be reassuring here.  I really am hoping Taggart has made good hires here.  He must feel pretty comfortable though as he brought them over pretty quickly.  But by far imo, these two guys are where your question makes the most sense.

• Upvote 1