• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vincent Jackson, OLB, Tampa Jesuit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It seems like he'd have to put on a decent amount of size to play at DE... I think the 6'2" 230 is generous from the pictures and video I have seen.

Selvie played at something like 220 when he had his huge year and I don't think he ever got over 235 at USF.  He didn't really start packing on more weight until he got into the NFL and his body metabolism slowed a little more.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Selvie was 6'4", 240+ in his Sophomore year (https://admin.xosn.com/pdf7/114322.pdf?KEY=RANPTWSERTRYEDK.20080304115242&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=AGENT&TITAN_ACTIVE=YES&DB_MENU_ID=2768&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=7700).  Much bigger frame than VJ, too (Selvie was 6'4" even coming out of high school and looked way bigger than VJ in pics from what I remember).  I have a hard time seeing VJ as an NFL DE unless he gets much bigger.  His dad is 6'5" so maybe he has some growing to do...

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Selvie was 6'4", 240+ in his Sophomore year (https://admin.xosn.com/pdf7/114322.pdf?KEY=RANPTWSERTRYEDK.20080304115242&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=AGENT&TITAN_ACTIVE=YES&DB_MENU_ID=2768&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=7700).  Much bigger frame than VJ, too (Selvie was 6'4" even coming out of high school and looked way bigger than VJ in pics from what I remember).  I have a hard time seeing VJ as an NFL DE unless he gets much bigger.  His dad is 6'5" so maybe he has some growing to do...

there you go again using silly facts to refute DataBull.  I'm too lazy to research, but my memory was Selvie at 240ish.  I stood near him at the hotel prior to the FSU...he looked every bit the 245 (granted, he was a junior then, I believe).

• Upvote 1

First of all, Selvie was listed at 240.  He usually played under that weight.  There was a huge article on him trying to gain weight and was unable to.

Second, Selvie was listed at 240 after two years of college football weight room.  VH3 is 230 right now.  You don't think he can add ten pounds?

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

there you go again using silly facts to refute DataBull.  I'm too lazy to research, but my memory was Selvie at 240ish.  I stood near him at the hotel prior to the FSU...he looked every bit the 245 (granted, he was a junior then, I believe).

Doesn't matter how big he was, he still couldn't get off a block unless he beat them with speed.

Well thank you for providing your official weight via the eye test.  Very helpful to the conversation. 

Selvie came out of high school listed at 230 (and I'm sure that was generous).  Exactly the same weight as VJ.   So please explain to me why a 230 George Selvie could play DE, but not a 230 VJ.

George Selvie arrived at USF weighing 215 lbs, 15 less than VJ currently is and he still has one more year to go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3604181

He's one of the nation's best pass-rushers. But hovering around 245 pounds, he's undersized. ...

The Selvies are originally from Mississippi, where I grew up. He often goes back and eats up a storm at his grandparents. I know those meals. Even the vegetables have meat in them. Plus, his dad was a Navy man and his mom is a minister, so George is disciplined. Used to cleaning plates. Since arriving at South Florida three years ago, he's put about 30 pounds on his 6'4", small forward's body. "When we first got him," USF strength coach Ron McKeefery says, "we'd force-feed him ice cream sandwiches and peanut butter and jelly in the back room."

Yeah, Data doesn't know what he is talking about.

Edited by DataBull

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

George Selvie arrived at USF weighing 215 lbs, 15 less than VJ currently is and he still has one more year to go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3604181

He's one of the nation's best pass-rushers. But hovering around 245 pounds, he's undersized. ...

The Selvies are originally from Mississippi, where I grew up. He often goes back and eats up a storm at his grandparents. I know those meals. Even the vegetables have meat in them. Plus, his dad was a Navy man and his mom is a minister, so George is disciplined. Used to cleaning plates. Since arriving at South Florida three years ago, he's put about 30 pounds on his 6'4", small forward's body. "When we first got him," USF strength coach Ron McKeefery says, "we'd force-feed him ice cream sandwiches and peanut butter and jelly in the back room."

Yeah, Data doesn't know what he is talking about.

DB, I never said he couldn't play DE or LB.  All I said was I remember him as 240ish, at DE (and many said he was undersized there).  Truthfully, he probably was.  Bigger tackles had their way with him much of his jr & sr year, even with JPP getting more attention.

Before we go deeper, I'll add that Selvie was one of my favorite players, and I'm thrilled he's still hanging on in the NFL.  I was in MoTown when he scooped up a fumble for a TD and hushed 70K screamin' ears.

Truce...

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

First of all, Selvie was listed at 240.  He usually played under that weight.  There was a huge article on him trying to gain weight and was unable to.

Second, Selvie was listed at 240 after two years of college football weight room.  VH3 is 230 right now.  You don't think he can add ten pounds?

I was just responding to your statement that Selvie was 220 during his big year.  Our media guide at the beginning of the season had him at 245.  At the bowl game he was still over 240.  I have no doubt that those weights are inflated a bit - as I suspect VJ's are as well.  I'm just making an observation that VJ looks like he has an awfully small frame to be a defensive lineman at the pro level.

I was just responding to your statement that Selvie was 220 during his big year.  Our media guide at the beginning of the season had him at 245.  At the bowl game he was still over 240.  I have no doubt that those weights are inflated a bit - as I suspect VJ's are as well.  I'm just making an observation that VJ looks like he has an awfully small frame to be a defensive lineman at the pro level.

You know media guides are often exaggerated, right?

You said you believed he was too small to play DE in college.  My point was that he is at least as big as Selvie was after he graduated high school.  That's it.