• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MWC looking to take SDSU, Houston, SMU, BYU, UTEP

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

MWC giving Boise a sweetheart deal will be the poison pill for attracting any other teams. MWC did what they had to keep a marquee name but I can see why a SDSU or other team would now not want to go there. The renegotiated TV deal favors Boise at the expense of the rest of the league.

And this is where Aresco needs to be on the offensive. Go right after Fresno State, which would make SDSU happy and then make a play for Air Force, which would hopefully make Navy happy.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

It will be a sad day when the BE is bent over and poached by a conference that is not in the "power 5 club".

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Props to Aresco for not bending over for Boise's demands. They're trying to become the Texas of the MWC - technically they are right now I guess.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if ESPN saw the Boise jump back to the MWC and told the MWC to target SMU and Houston (regardless of SDSU) to take a few more pegs out of the Big East's last stand. Not sure if ESPN and the MWC have much going together right now though, but wouldn't surprise me.

Boise has reloaded before, as Houston Nutt and Dan Hawkins left and Petersen was able to keep them going but at some point, they will fall just like everyone else does.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It will be a sad day when the BE is bent over and poached by a conference that is not in the "power 5 club".

All right, let's look at this differently. There is no doubt that at the moment, Boise brings some credibility on the football field. Other than that, however, Boise doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. Fresno and Nevada would bring better markets for a TV deal.

When Boise was brought on board, the incentive was to use their recent success in the BCS formula to keep the automatic BCS bid. That has gone by the wayside with the new Final Four agreements. If (and I stress if) the BE can keep SDSU, and add Fresno, Nevada, UNLV or whoever the BE might be in better shape in the long run than with Boise.

This hurts from a short term stability standpoint, but might be a plus in the long run.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Let them go. At this point, I'd rather have Fresno and Nevada than Boise with a "Texas of the Big East" deal -- that's just silly. While they add some credibility, as many others have noted, there's really no way to tell what will happen when Peterson goes bye-bye. I understand why MWC did it, but it's going to make it impossible to add BYU unless they offer them an equally one-sided offer, which means there is going to be some serious disproportion going on in the MWC... if I wasn't already a team wrapped in that mess, I'd stay away from it as if it was lava.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Boise I believe will lose Peterson to Oregon when Kelly leaves....

Boise better hope they can replace him adequately

Not going to lie, but when I saw Chip Kelly to interview with every NFL vacancy, I smiled knowing that Peterson could end up in Oregon and Boise might go to ****.

+1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Petersen has been the butt of so many rumored jobs and has always stayed at Boise State.

I'm glad we didn't bend over backwards, but if you don't think the MWC doesn't have the upper hand now, you're nuts.

Boise State is a magnet in all this. Preferable deal (one which isn't ALL that insane) or not.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

http://espn.go.com/c...rst-option-join if this happens, the Big East will be left with: Tulane, Temple, USF, UCF, Cincy, UCONN, ECU (football).... 6 team basketball conference and 7 for football. I hope Aresco can pull some magic.

aresco is an idiot in the long line of other idiots before him

the big east needed espn

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

San Diego State wants to stay in the Big East...

www.ajerseyguy.com

With Boise State’s decision to back out on a deal to join the Big East and remain in the Mountain West, the general assumption has been that San Diego State, which was also scheduled to jump from the MWC to the Big East on July 1, would follow the Broncos’ lead and also back out of the Big East arrangment.

“The Big East hasn’t heard anything officially, but they (San Diego State) want to stay (with the Big East),†said one source familiar with the discussions that are being conducted between the Big East and SD State.

Whether that is wishful thinking from Big East officials or a realistic option remains to be seen.

When San Diego and Boise State made their original decision to join the Big East last year, a clause in the agreement allowed San Diego State to back out of the deal without penalty if there was no other school west of the Rocky Mountains (Boise State) in the new 12 team configuration of the Big East.

Another “buddy system†deal in the contract involving the two schools also states that the Mountain West must ask San Diego State whether it wants to return as the MWC’s 12th team before it can invite any other school, according to a report in the Idaho Statesmen. The time frame on that deal is the end of January.

When Boise State announced it’s decision not to come to the Big East on New Year’s Eve, many San Diego State backers assumed that the Aztecs would quickly follow suit. What surprised more than a few people at San Diego State was the less than enthusiastic response from schools in the Mountain West to endorse the move.

That reluctance of acceptance has prompted San Diego State officials to wonder whether their best option is to stay with Boise State or venture off on their own as the Big East’s primary West Coast entry.

Big East commissioner Mike Aresco, who was in New Orleans on Wednesday night watching Big East champion Lousville upset Florida in the Sugar Bowl, has maintained that the next move for the Big East would be to focus on a West coast partner for both San Diego State and Boise State. If Aresco can keep San Diego State, he is expected to target schools such as Fresno State, Nevada, BYU or UNLV. Aresco has lobbied SD State officials consistently over the past few weeks, emphasizing their importance in the overall expansion plan the Big East has put together.

Although the best the Big East can probably expect at this point is to field an 11 team conference next season–which would prevent the creation of a conference (a minimum of 12 teams is required) championship game, Aresco feels that with Louisville (ACC) and Rutgers (Big Ten) remaining for one more year and new schools such as SMU and Central Florida on the upswing, the Big East will be very competitive in its final year with an automatic BCS bowl bid.

Aresco has also had to deal with the defection of 7 Catholic schools–Marquette, St. John’s, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown and DePaul. The Presidents of that group are expected to meet on Friday to discuss their exit strategy.

According to sources familiar with the process, the Catholic 7 first official act will be to negotiate a departure from the Big East a year earlier than the July 1, 2015 date previously announced.

sdsu will not join big east without other west coast schools

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  818
  • Days Won:  2

Texas schools have also gone on record that they want to stay with Big East. Sorry no link but I have read it.

ruh roh! no linky poo. The link police are gonna come after you now. lol :whip: