• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MWC looking to take SDSU, Houston, SMU, BYU, UTEP

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8803804/mountain-west-conference-give-san-diego-state-aztecs-first-option-join if this happens, the Big East will be left with: Tulane, Temple, USF, UCF, Cincy, UCONN, ECU (football).... 6 team basketball conference and 7 for football. I hope Aresco can pull some magic.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  165

just take 'em all... eff this shizz already. it's like the fiscal cliff-- just watch our dollars burn baby burn

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574

San Diego State wants to stay in the Big East...

www.ajerseyguy.com

With Boise State’s decision to back out on a deal to join the Big East and remain in the Mountain West, the general assumption has been that San Diego State, which was also scheduled to jump from the MWC to the Big East on July 1, would follow the Broncos’ lead and also back out of the Big East arrangment.

“The Big East hasn’t heard anything officially, but they (San Diego State) want to stay (with the Big East),†said one source familiar with the discussions that are being conducted between the Big East and SD State.

Whether that is wishful thinking from Big East officials or a realistic option remains to be seen.

When San Diego and Boise State made their original decision to join the Big East last year, a clause in the agreement allowed San Diego State to back out of the deal without penalty if there was no other school west of the Rocky Mountains (Boise State) in the new 12 team configuration of the Big East.

Another “buddy system†deal in the contract involving the two schools also states that the Mountain West must ask San Diego State whether it wants to return as the MWC’s 12th team before it can invite any other school, according to a report in the Idaho Statesmen. The time frame on that deal is the end of January.

When Boise State announced it’s decision not to come to the Big East on New Year’s Eve, many San Diego State backers assumed that the Aztecs would quickly follow suit. What surprised more than a few people at San Diego State was the less than enthusiastic response from schools in the Mountain West to endorse the move.

That reluctance of acceptance has prompted San Diego State officials to wonder whether their best option is to stay with Boise State or venture off on their own as the Big East’s primary West Coast entry.

Big East commissioner Mike Aresco, who was in New Orleans on Wednesday night watching Big East champion Lousville upset Florida in the Sugar Bowl, has maintained that the next move for the Big East would be to focus on a West coast partner for both San Diego State and Boise State. If Aresco can keep San Diego State, he is expected to target schools such as Fresno State, Nevada, BYU or UNLV. Aresco has lobbied SD State officials consistently over the past few weeks, emphasizing their importance in the overall expansion plan the Big East has put together.

Although the best the Big East can probably expect at this point is to field an 11 team conference next season–which would prevent the creation of a conference (a minimum of 12 teams is required) championship game, Aresco feels that with Louisville (ACC) and Rutgers (Big Ten) remaining for one more year and new schools such as SMU and Central Florida on the upswing, the Big East will be very competitive in its final year with an automatic BCS bowl bid.

Aresco has also had to deal with the defection of 7 Catholic schools–Marquette, St. John’s, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown and DePaul. The Presidents of that group are expected to meet on Friday to discuss their exit strategy.

According to sources familiar with the process, the Catholic 7 first official act will be to negotiate a departure from the Big East a year earlier than the July 1, 2015 date previously announced.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

Texas schools have also gone on record that they want to stay with Big East. Sorry no link but I have read it.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436

Texas schools have also gone on record that they want to stay with Big East. Sorry no link but I have read it.

I think it makes sense the Texas schools would prefer exposure in Florida and major Northern cities instead of the inner West.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803

I hope you guys are right...any more teams off the ship and I think we look at C-USA as a legitimate option.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

BTW, Aresco said that Boise St would have stayed in the Big East if they got the same deal MW gave them. But the conference voted it down.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21483700/aresco-big-east-unwilling-to-accommodate-boise-state

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Boise I believe will lose Peterson to Oregon when Kelly leaves....

Boise better hope they can replace him adequately

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Boise I believe will lose Peterson to Oregon when Kelly leaves....

Boise better hope they can replace him adequately

Not going to lie, but when I saw Chip Kelly to interview with every NFL vacancy, I smiled knowing that Peterson could end up in Oregon and Boise might go to ****.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

MWC giving Boise a sweetheart deal will be the poison pill for attracting any other teams. MWC did what they had to keep a marquee name but I can see why a SDSU or other team would now not want to go there. The renegotiated TV deal favors Boise at the expense of the rest of the league.

• Upvote 1