• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calvin Magee to Right the ship

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

yeah i mean i think he has a responsibility to hear fans and players out.... but at the same time i can;t imagine that would factor too much into his decision

of course i haven't hired a coach so i dont know

except if he doesn't take them into account, they might not show up or be as generous with donations to the program in the future

But if it's only 10% input, and it should be no higher than that, how will they know if he took them into account or not .... ? B)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

well according to greg, leeroy recommended him last time

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

@USFBull89 Calvin Magee is definitely a name that should be on USF short list. Lee Roy Selmon recommended him for Bulls job back in 2010.

Well in my book you can not get a better recomendation then that. I am sold. Calvin is now my man and I will let DW know(not that I have any influence). If this is truely his dream job, that is what I would like to see in a Coach. Paid well, being where he really wants to be, and good connections in the Tampa Bay area. Throw in he is a former Bull and an OC from a BCS backround seems like a win to me.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

yeah i mean i think he has a responsibility to hear fans and players out.... but at the same time i can;t imagine that would factor too much into his decision

except if he doesn't take them into account, they might not show up or be as generous with donations to the program in the future

But if it's only 10% input, and it should be no higher than that, how will they know if he took them into account or not .... ? B)

10% is better than 0% and he can just tweet them to say he took them into account :D

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

give him an interview. put him on your short list.float rumors through the media that he is under serious consideration.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

id actually be disappointed if one of his criteria for hiring a new coach was former player opinion

i see on twitter other former players calling for Canales

If Calvin Magee gets hired it will probably be because Doug thinks hes the right guy.

I would agree with this. We don't need our opinions to way heavily on this. If Magee can do it then I'm all for it, but I don't want him just because some former players like him. I think a lot of Bucs players liked Raheem Morris and that worked out well. Coaching is not a popularity contest. I'm biased against him not even because of him, but because he's got the stink of RichRod on him. But that doesn't mean he won't be entirely different. If he can give us a great offense while also giving us a great D and locking down recruits then sign me up. The prospect of someone caring as little about D as RichRod seems to does scare me, however, and the discipline issues worry me - but that's all related to Rod.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

The best way to plan for the future is to understand the past. Former players' opinions should have a very important role in picking a coach, particularly when they're involved in making a logical argument concerning the characteristics which are important in a candidate. Suggesting that their opinions should be condoned begs the question of where your priorities are. If fielding a college football team isn't about the players, the student-athletes, and the extended family/community that includes former players, then what is it about? Clearly a rhetorical question. You're a student for a short time, you're an alumnus for life.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

Did anyone here watch Moneyball?

Seriously, if we pick a coach because of feelings, what are we doing?

We need wins.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Faza i think its a great point but the AD is being paid big bucks for this. Its their profession do this.

Former players are often very biased to who has coached them in the past... Example: Grothe wants Canales... I don't think the guy will be heavily considered at all.

The point you make about characteristics is what needs to be taken into account. Not a name, not a coach but the attributes of a person that makes him a great coach. Those attributes should be brought together to help our administration find the right guy.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Did anyone here watch Moneyball?

Seriously, if we pick a coach because of feelings, what are we doing?

We need wins.

he's run 3 top 15 offenses at 3 different places. he's trained under a man who is probably considered one of the best offensive minds in the country. those are facts. not feelings.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  37

id actually be disappointed if one of his criteria for hiring a new coach was former player opinion

i see on twitter other former players calling for Canales

If Calvin Magee gets hired it will probably be because Doug thinks hes the right guy.

I would agree with this. We don't need our opinions to way heavily on this. If Magee can do it then I'm all for it, but I don't want him just because some former players like him. I think a lot of Bucs players liked Raheem Morris and that worked out well. Coaching is not a popularity contest. I'm biased against him not even because of him, but because he's got the stink of RichRod on him. But that doesn't mean he won't be entirely different. If he can give us a great offense while also giving us a great D and locking down recruits then sign me up. The prospect of someone caring as little about D as RichRod seems to does scare me, however, and the discipline issues worry me - but that's all related to Rod.

I don't agree with your opinion but it is your opinion. I think anyone that is passionate about something or someone should let their voice be heard. I am simply saying Magee because I have researched the landscape and believe he is the best man for the job for multiple reasons. I also like Taggert never met the guy but I think he would do a good job because of his ties to the area. As a leader you take every voice into consideration then you make your decision of all the data and we are part of that data. I just want this University to be the best it can be. Bottom Line