• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cosh scheme or lack of talent ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

np

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Holtz is the common denominator nd the defense is his scheme..

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

USF def. coordinator Chris Cosh on his own future: "We coach the football players, make those decisions. You control what you can control."

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I really can't help but laugh when you read message board posts about this coach or that player being awful and you have folks who think the answer is just play closer to the line of scrimmage. Our coaching staff may very well be inept, but something tells me they probably thought of that. Thus I suspect our talent (at those positions) is just that bad. But that too falls on coaching, we needed to recruit some JC guys to step into our obviously weak secondary.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Not to pick on anyone in particular so no names mentioned. But when #22 deflects his next pass it will be the first one of his career. He makes Tyler Roberts look like the Honey Badger.

I remember calling him toast when he was starting as a freshman, I think, or a sophomore. Always getting burned deep. He disappeared for a few years, in the background, but I guess years ago Leavitt was very thin at DB when he was either starting or the nickel back.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I really can't help but laugh when you read message board posts about this coach or that player being awful and you have folks who think the answer is just play closer to the line of scrimmage. Our coaching staff may very well be inept, but something tells me they probably thought of that. Thus I suspect our talent (at those positions) is just that bad. But that too falls on coaching, we needed to recruit some JC guys to step into our obviously weak secondary.

We should have recruited juco 2 years ago (2011 class) but we did not. We waited until this past season and took Montgomery and brown who have been average at best. Looking at the roster in 2010 you knew we had Webster and ____ at CB. Same thing is happening at safety.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

We suck

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'm going scheme. They were running the same scheme with Snyder last year. What's the common denominator?

You do know that he is the DC for Texas A&M right? 2 loss team, to Florida by 3 points and LSU by 5. And they beat Alabama and held them to their second lowest score in the season, 3 points more than they scored against LSU.

What is your point? And how does this relate to the discussion at hand?

Maybe I need to break it down - the scheme USF runs is obviously set by the HEAD COACH, SKIP HOLTZ. Pick your DC and he will be running the same thing here as long as Holtz is the HC. Not sure why you felt compelled to give me Snyder's resume at aTm as it has no bearing on this conversation.

My point, when it comes to playing the DBs off the WRs, just like Snyder did, and you suck, its the players because Snyder is having great success at aTm doing it. Greater success then he had at USF doing it.

Its not just about the corners playing off the receivers. A lot of whar happens in coverage is also affected by what happens up front. When you only rush 3 or 4 and no twisting or stunting and give the QB a lot of time to throw the DBs will look bad.

A lot of times during the game and season, for that matter, announcers were baffled why the USF defense didn't blitz more or blitz in certain situations. That comes back to scheme and defensive play calling. Also how you go through an entire season with only 2 ints.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

One other point to make which falls, not necessarily on schemes, but definitely falls back on coaching mentality and teaching. Obviously, the most glaring stat is only 2 INTS all year. Just as bad is there were also 7 games where we didn't create a fumble either. 7 games that the defense failed to create any turnovers at all.

That's not lack of talent. That's failure to teach and instill an aggressive mindset.