• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

My two cents.

September 26, 2009. South Florida Head Coach Jim Leavitt raises his arms in victory after a 17-7 victory over Florida State, the program's first over a major state school. The following week, a billboard appears on I-275, welcoming Bulls fans to the "Big 4." The administration felt it was time to talk about USF in the same breath as schools that have combined for 10 national titles.

Jim Leavitt, on the other hand, knew there was still work to be done. To look past anything other than the next game enraged him. "We have not won national championships, and we have not won conference championships. What gives us the right to sit there all of a sudden like we've won all these championships and done all this stuff?" he said in response. It was not time for a discussion about tea time at some made-up club, it was time to prepare for the game against No. 8 Cincinatti.

Less than four months later, Leavitt was handed his walking papers. An investigation found that he had likely slapped a player in the locker room and then lied to cover up his actions. Although not proven, many believe that Leavitt's inability to win a conference title or major bowl game helped decide that he would be fired rather suspended. The administration had made it's mentality clear: USF is a 'Big 4' school. Leavitt is no Big 4 coach so he had to go.

Sometime in December, USF was approached about a man named Holtz. A man who had won a National Championship. At Notre Dame, of all places. A man who had coached at South Carolina, an honest to goodness SEC school. A man whose name was known all throughout college football. And then they were asked if they'd like to hire his son. USF swooned.

The honeymoon was amazing! USF went 8-5. They beat a major Florida school. They won a mediocre bowl game, but a bowl game nonetheless. Sure they lost 4 conference games, but that can be fixed later. Huh? Oh, wait a minute. I was still looking at the 2009 season. Let's, see. Ah, yes. 2010. USF went 8-5. They beat a major Florida school. They won a mediocre bowl game, but a bowl game nonetheless. Sure they lost 4 conference games, but that can be fixed later.

But then, the dark times. 2-12 in conference games. 6-15 against BCS teams. Late game meltdowns. Anemic defenses. USF left behind in conference realignment. Holtz under investigation for alledgedly beating the word 'compete' to death. And now, the USF administration finds itself at a precipice. Should they can Holtz or give him another year?

Hopefully, as they are doing their soul-searching they consider these points. In 2009, Bill McGillis declared South Florida a Big 4 school. Three years later, Holtz's best season is still his first and it is nearly identical to Leavitt's last. Would Miami, Florida, or Florida State still have Holtz? My guess is the response would go something like this: "It's not fair to compare. They have tradition. They have money. We can't compete with that right now." Maybe they'll know how asinine Jim Leavitt felt in 2009 to be put on that pedestal.

So what's it going to be? Where is that 'Big 4' mentality? What Would The Big Four Do? You know the answer to that question. It's time to step up. Prove it wasn't a marketing gimmick. Prove you still Bullieve.

Edited by TheUpperHand

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

Where did that come from? Did you write that?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

Where did that come from? Did you write that?

Yeah, I wrote it. Not sure why I put it in quotes.

Edited by TheUpperHand

I like it. Thanks.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I like it too. I particularly thought this line was awesome:

Sometime in December, USF was approached about a man named Holtz. A man who had won a National Championship. At Notre Dame, of all places. A man who had coached at South Carolina, an honest to goodness SEC school. A man whose name was known all throughout college football. And then they were asked if they'd like to hire his son. USF swooned.

:D :D :D :D :D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

Like it also

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Like it. Do the right thing Doug.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  217
  • Days Won:  0

Lol i like the part about beating "compete" to death

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Good article, thanks. You should submit it to Voodoo5

Good article, thanks. You should submit it to Voodoo5

Bad idea. :)

VD5s big four were all members, moderators and/or bloggers for TBP. We can't take anymore "brain drain".

:roflmao: