• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What might have been. We were on the verge of the big time.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

We were this close to the big time. Just a few more wins in the 07-08 era and it would have cemented USF into the "Big time" football school status forever.

USF would have never had to worry about conference hopping. Someone would have gladly accepted USF into their conference. The recruits would have continued to roll in.

I'm afraid USF will never get to that level again in this watered down Big East. It's just too much of a disrespected conference for a team to make that type of noise again. I hope I am wrong. Oh, what might have been.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

We were this close to the big time. Just a few more wins in the 07-08 era and it would have cemented USF into the "Big time" football school status forever.

USF would have never had to worry about conference hopping. Someone would have gladly accepted USF into their conference. The recruits would have continued to roll in.

I'm afraid USF will never get to that level again in this watered down Big East. It's just too much of a disrespected conference for a team to make that type of noise again. I hope I am wrong. Oh, what might have been.

So Syracuse and Rutgers, possibly UConn are of the "Big time" football school status??

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  113
  • Days Won:  0

Whatever happens, atleast we'll always have Sept. 28, 2007.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574

So Syracuse and Rutgers, possibly UConn are of the "Big time" football school status??

Don't forget other football powerhouses like Utah, Colorado, Missouri, and Maryland that were sucked up by "bigger" conferences in the last 2 years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Utah really showed some promise for several seasons. I don't think that beat down on Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in 2008 was no fluke. Looking at them... They've had two undefeated seasons in the past 10 years ('04, '08), and several 2 or 3 loss seasons. I wouldn't call them a traditional powerhouse like say Alabama or Notre Dame, but they've definitely had some good upswing in the past decade. Last two seasons haven't been that great for them, but even then, this is the first season they've gone under .500 since 2002.

The rest, you've completely got me there. Just pointing out that Utah sorta deserved some more attention.

------------

He's right though; if we could have at least won another game or two, instead of having that nasty 3 game skid, we probably could have came out with some steam and that might have carried over to the future. Hell, maybe Leavitt's issue would have been swept under the rug, and would have died there or someone'd trip on the evidence a decade or two later. You know, once the school achieved quasi-national powerhouse status and all.

Edited by Breedwell

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,219

September and October 2007 were special, as we worked our way up to number two in the country. Right now it's hard to see that happening again!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

September and October 2007 were special, as we worked our way up to number two in the country. Right now it's hard to see that happening again!

Yeah it was special, right until we went into a tailspin.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Miami won 5 national championships in what many considered to be the worst conference in college football... As long as we go out there and win the games we should win, and then take a could big games here and there that we should'nt win then we can get back to the 2007 status again.

Look at Boise State... they were in a **** conference and they are considered a national powerhouse by many.

All it takes is the right AD, right Coach, and right assistants to make it happen again.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Great programs maintain. Even, in theory, we won a couple extra games in 2007-08 what can you site to that says we would have automatically been a power?

It's a lot easier to have a couple solid seasons, than it is to maintain. We could have easily gone 10-3 or 11-2 in 07 and be where we are today. Look at Tedford at Cal...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Miami won 5 national championships in what many considered to be the worst conference in college football...

Miami won 3 of their national championships as an Independent ...