• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Embrace the Suck

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

USF needs to win and continue with their plans (My only fear is they do not have any), Cancelling season tickets is the worst thing we can all do, I know its easier said then done but we have to stay the course. USF still has tremendous, off the chart potential for growth, and come the next chance we need to be in a position to take the call. We are in the 13th largest media market, and our a top 10 univesity in terms of enrollment, the potential for fans is clearly here. Judy has also done a great job improving academics and securing research dollars, if she can somehow improve the 6 year graduation rate then we will be as good a candidate as anyone for the AAU.

Administration needs to continue to support the program, they have showed commitment by updating the other sports facilities but now its time to lay the football plans in place. Its football thats driving this whole show, I for one would feel a lot more confidence if I knew there was a 5-10 year plan.

Now that our stadium doesn't have to match Minnesota's, since we're no longer one of the big boys, can we lay down plans for a 40K expandable OCS? :stirpot:

Great idea ... let's run off the majority of the season ticket holders that will still be around.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

USF needs to win and continue with their plans (My only fear is they do not have any), Cancelling season tickets is the worst thing we can all do, I know its easier said then done but we have to stay the course. USF still has tremendous, off the chart potential for growth, and come the next chance we need to be in a position to take the call. We are in the 13th largest media market, and our a top 10 univesity in terms of enrollment, the potential for fans is clearly here. Judy has also done a great job improving academics and securing research dollars, if she can somehow improve the 6 year graduation rate then we will be as good a candidate as anyone for the AAU.

Administration needs to continue to support the program, they have showed commitment by updating the other sports facilities but now its time to lay the football plans in place. Its football thats driving this whole show, I for one would feel a lot more confidence if I knew there was a 5-10 year plan.

Now that our stadium doesn't have to match Minnesota's, since we're no longer one of the big boys, can we lay down plans for a 40K expandable OCS? :stirpot:

Great idea ... let's run off the majority of the season ticket holders that will still be around.

Why would a new OCS run off season ticket holders? Are there really USF fans that only go to games because they're at RJS? If so, who are these people?

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Why would a new OCS run off season ticket holders? Are there really USF fans that only go to games because they're at RJS? If so, who are these people?

There are a bunch on these boards... myself not included.

A large amount of our fans are not your typical college football fans ... born and raised on the high school stadiums on steroids that most college stadiums are. You try to pass off a POS like the BHNFP on them and it'll be thanks but no thanks, especially with the perceived backward movement of the program.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Bubba Bull has demonstrated emotional leadership on this issue. We all work through the five Kubler-Ross stages of grief at different rates. When we first learn of an impending death (USF's football program being relegated to the bush leagues), we:

1. Deny it - Surely something will work out - we'll fire the coach and start winning, we'll get an invite to a major conference;

2. Get angry - IT'S NOT FAIR!!! WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE IMPORTANT!

3. Start Bargaining - OK, well maybe someone will take both us and UCF because of the TV market, maybe FSU will bolt the ACC and we'll get it, maybe if this, maybe if that...

4. Get depressed - this sucks. We suck. The dream is over. The ship has sunk.

5. Acceptance - we EMBRACE THE SUCK.

Thanks Bubba Bull for leading the way.

I love it, as a Hospice professional, dealing with grief and loss, I am frustrated that I didn't think of this myself. For a few months I was stuckgoing between bargaining and depression, I have arrived at acceptance

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

A large amount of our fans are not your typical college football fans ... born and raised on the high school stadiums on steroids that most college stadiums are. You try to pass off a POS like the BHNFP on them and it'll be thanks but no thanks, especially with the perceived backward movement of the program.

Funny, because I graduated from Florida and now live in Tallahassee. Never heard any college football fan at UF or FSU complain about the bleachers in those stadiums, but I've heard A LOT of complaints from fans at USF games about the lack of collegiate atmosphere at RJS. I also had Bucs season tickets from 1998-2008. RJS is a great NFL venue but not a great venue for the vast majority of USF games when there are only about 35K-40K in the stands. Those games would have a completely different atmosphere if they were on campus in an expandable 40K-50K OCS stadium, even if it had bleachers like at UF and FSU. Also, in light of the conference situation (if it sticks), a smaller venue would seem to be more appropriate in the future. Just MHO.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Funny, because I graduated from Florida and now live in Tallahassee. Never heard any college football fan at UF or FSU complain about the bleachers in those stadiums, but I've heard A LOT of complaints from fans at USF games about the lack of collegiate atmosphere at RJS. I also had Bucs season tickets from 1998-2008. RJS is a great NFL venue but not a great venue for the vast majority of USF games when there are only about 35K-40K in the stands. Those games would have a completely different atmosphere if they were on campus in an expandable 40K-50K OCS stadium, even if it had bleachers like at UF and FSU. Also, in light of the conference situation (if it sticks), a smaller venue would seem to be more appropriate in the future. Just MHO.

Having attended a season of TAMU home games I can safely say I MUCH prefer a packed RJS to Kyle Feild. Could be my USF bias but I think it's hard to best packed RJS, problem is that it doesn't ever get packed. I really liked Doak when I went to the FSU game. I think it would be perfect if USF had something of similar design but only with less seats. TAMU is building a new stadium though, will probably be among the nicest in CFB when it's done.

Edited by Gismo

Funny, because I graduated from Florida and now live in Tallahassee. Never heard any college football fan at UF or FSU complain about the bleachers in those stadiums,

It's all they've ever known .... for generations ... it's bred into them. ;)

but I've heard A LOT of complaints from fans at USF games about the lack of collegiate atmosphere at RJS.

The lack of atmosphere has more to do with the butts themselves in the seats rather than what the butts are sitting on .... I know there are still lots of the traditional college football fans at RayJay... they're the ones trying in vain to get everybody in their section to stand up for important downs ... but I don't think they're in the majority.

I also had Bucs season tickets from 1998-2008. RJS is a great NFL venue but not a great venue for the vast majority of USF games when there are only about 35K-40K in the stands. Those games would have a completely different atmosphere if they were on campus in an expandable 40K-50K OCS stadium, even if it had bleachers like at UF and FSU. Also, in light of the conference situation (if it sticks), a smaller venue would seem to be more appropriate in the future. Just MHO.

Agree completely that a smaller stadium would help the atmosphere, no matter where they put it ... Bottom line, though, is that I think the push for an OCS takes a hit with all this movement. They're going to need to wait and see where we end up when the dust settles .... and to read some of the stuff on here, they may be able to move the games to the track and field stadium and we'd be just fine .... until UCF, and their 20K traveling fans, come over. Then we can just tell them to bring their fold up tailgate chairs like I did to my kids' soccer games.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

I am in between 3 and 4. I still think there's a chance we dont remain in CDOA2 but that chance is absurdly tiny and part of me is thinking "back to the drawing board" and "10 year plan".