• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Would you let Skip Holtz coach your son?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You guys are trying to be funny, but he did mention NFL in the OP.

That said, I hate that this is a thread, considering our current QB commit's dad frequents this website.

Fortunately, the father in question knows much more about football and what and how our staff is coaching than the vast majority of our posters.

I'm sure you're right; however, my concern is that parents of kids considering USF see crap like this and assume the vast majority knows what they are talking about.

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Why would I subject my child to all those heart breaking losses. Man up Holtz and solve the mess you and your staff have helped to create. Or find a staff to compensate for your lack of in game coaching and general preparation and schemes.

I would like to think my son would have the ability to change those heart breaking losses. It would be his decision ultimately and hopefully he takes more than just football into consideration when it comes down to college choice, considering how long the average post-college athletic career lasts or the chance to even have a post-college athletic career

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Depends on his position and ability. If he were not talented enough to realistic get to the next level I would happily leave him with Holtz, because it genuinely seems like a great human being.

But I look at players like Lamar, Barrington, Webster and Grissom. At Florida or FSU I see all 4 getting drafted. Here I doubt any of them get taken. Look at how few of our guys get invited to the combine. Is that Skip? No, more USF, but winning would be the solution to that issue, and he isn't doing that.

With this current staff unchanged,I don't think I could push my son there if he had the talent to go to the next level.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

As of 2011 the average NFL salary was 1.9M, the avg. carreer length 3-5 years. So even if the kid gets a sniff at the NFL there's a much higher possibility of having total earnings of 10M max. Yes, a lot of money, but at what cost?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

As of 2011 the average NFL salary was 1.9M, the avg. carreer length 3-5 years. So even if the kid gets a sniff at the NFL there's a much higher possibility of having total earnings of 10M max. Yes, a lot of money, but at what cost?

what?>? total earnings of $10M max??? peanuts...

that's only $200k for 50 years. 98% of NFL players(and regular joe's for that matter) don't earn $200k a year for one year let alone 50.

some guys do whatever it takes to win. saban or meyer prime examples. some shady stuff for sure. essentially cutting players. rescinding scholarship offers, etc. skip seems like he wants to do things the "right" way according to his beliefs. nothing wrong with that. it depends on what life lessons are most important to you. what's the old saying ?

" nice guys finish last."

"winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

My boy is only 3 months old so I won't have to worry about Holtzthorpe being an issue, assuming of course that my son wants to play football and is good enough to make it to the college level and gets a look from USF.

Holtzthorpe won't be an issue because he will be long gone by the year 2020 either because he was fired, health issues, or because he got a new gig.

My boy is only 3 months old so I won't have to worry about Holtzthorpe being an issue, assuming of course that my son wants to play football and is good enough to make it to the college level and gets a look from USF.

Holtzthorpe won't be an issue because he will be long gone by the year 2020 either because he was fired, health issues, or because he got a new gig.

you might want to work on your math. 2020 is 8 years from now. your kid will be 8 years and 3 months old.

that's only $200k for 50 years. 98% of NFL players(and regular joe's for that matter) don't earn $200k a year for one year let alone 50.

some guys do whatever it takes to win. saban or meyer prime examples. some shady stuff for sure. essentially cutting players. rescinding scholarship offers, etc. skip seems like he wants to do things the "right" way according to his beliefs. nothing wrong with that. it depends on what life lessons are most important to you. what's the old saying ?

WTF are you talking about?? Are you being sarcastic? Just in case you are being serious, I know how much you love numbers, so here goes. 32 NFL teams 53 man rosters = 1696 rostered players, 32 X 8(players on practice squad) = 256. 1696 + 256= 1952....124 teams in FBS, 85 scholly's = 10540. 1952/10540 = 18.5% chance. IF, ALL of the current players left that same year AND we only figure in FBS teams!

WTF are you talking about?? Are you being sarcastic? Just in case you are being serious, I know how much you love numbers, so here goes. 32 NFL teams 53 man rosters = 1696 rostered players, 32 X 8(players on practice squad) = 256. 1696 + 256= 1952....124 teams in FBS, 85 scholly's = 10540. 1952/10540 = 18.5% chance. IF, ALL of the current players left that same year AND we only figure in FBS teams!

what are you talking about? I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying $10M max as if that's some paultry sum. at what cost? doesn't make sense either.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this other nonsense. none of what you posted leads anyone to conclude one way or another about your thoughts on playing for Holtz.

what are you talking about? I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying $10M max as if that's some paultry sum. at what cost? doesn't make sense either.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this other nonsense. none of what you posted leads anyone to conclude one way or another about your thoughts on playing for Holtz.

Education is much more important than athletics, at what cost is having mush for a brain, or not being able to walk correctly, or many other ailments that are frequent in professional football. As for the other numbers, I was simply showing another example as to why education is more important than athletics. I thought that you of all people would understand that.