• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One month til basketball...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Should be getting our season tickets next week or the week after. I'm ready for some round ball.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We want to smell your breath!!!!!!!

Let's bring it

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/10/3/3448664/new-atlantic-10-television-contract-shows-big-east-basketball-schools

New Atlantic 10 Television Contract Shows Big East Basketball Schools Aren't Going Anywhere

By Mengus22 on Oct 3, 10:56a

20120308_jel_sn3_499.1349275301_standard_500.1349275536.jpg

Jim O'Connor-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire

The new Atlantic 10 basketball contract with ESPN, NBC, and CBS and the relatively small amount of money each school will get shows once again that the Big East's basketball playing members are better off attached to football than on their own.

Share On Facebook

Share on Twitter

The Big East basketball schools like Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova, will never be better off, financially, on their own. Despite what is often claimed, those schools, were they to form their own conference and leave their association with the football-playing Big East schools, would get only a fraction of the television money on their own compared to what they get by being in a conference with football playing members. Even ones that aren't all that successful at basketball. The latest reminder of this: the newly announced Atlantic 10 television contract with ESPN, CBS, and NBC. According to Kevin McNamara in the Providence-Journal the contract is surprisingly small for a large conference featuring teams in a number of large metropolitan areas and big television markets:

Sources close to the deal say that the 16-school conference will earn $40 million over the eight years, or split $5 million a season. The A-10 currently has TV deals with both ESPN and CBS Sports Network. The NBC Sports Group is a new player in college sports and is actively acquiring new products, including a recent deal with the Colonial Athletic Association.

$5 million per year, split between 14 teams means each school will get a little more than $350,000 per year from the television contract. By comparison, NBC Sports is reportedly prepared to offer the Big East basketball members as much as $4 million per year as part of a larger deal to get the rights to both football and basketball. Are schools like Georgetown, Marquette, and St. John's bigger and more valuable basketball properties than St. Louis, Butler and others in the A-10? Sure. Nevertheless, there's no conceivable collection of basketball schools, without football also being a part of the equation, that would be able to command a number that large. Basketball just doesn't earn the money that football does, no matter how you arrange the conference. Even the ACC television deal, which pays each school an average of $17 million per year, is divided 80% for football and 20% for basketball, meaning that a basketball only contract that featured two of the sports' most valuable brands (Duke and North Carolina, as well as Syracuse and the ACC Tournament) would hypothetically only earn about $3.5 million per team per year for its television rights.

The current contract already pays the basketball playing members more than the new Atlantic 10 deal. The new one, to likely be finalized over the next few months with a similar structure where games are shown on multiple networks, will surely do so as well. It will do so primarily because it will be attached to a substantially larger football contract. Hopefully this will finally put to bed that idea that the basketball schools would gain anything by going it alone. They won't.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Email came out today about Parking Passes for the Sun Dome.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

Ordered my season tickets today. I havent been to the sun dome since i graduated. I hope they get a good lift in sales this year for the renovation. I think it was a good investment.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

I asked today how season ticket sales are going and the rep said very good. He said there were many sales when the select a seat came out over the summer and then cooled down a little as football season came up and started but now there is increased demand again.

What that means overall I don't know. I wonder if a season ticket sales base of say 6,000 is realistic at this point? Thoughts?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I asked today how season ticket sales are going and the rep said very good. He said there were many sales when the select a seat came out over the summer and then cooled down a little as football season came up and started but now there is increased demand again.

What that means overall I don't know. I wonder if a season ticket sales base of say 6,000 is realistic at this point? Thoughts?

I doubt that. At least based on history. I would love for that to be true, but idk. Seems a little high to me.

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Does anyone else have a fear that last year could have been a fluke? Like maybe we won't be as good defensively and our offense still won't come around?

Maybe I'm conditioned to feel usf basketball will be bad, but in the back of my mind I feel we might be set up for the upset.

Just a feeling...maybe it's just gas.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

I doubt that. At least based on history. I would love for that to be true, but idk. Seems a little high to me.

Ageed ... tripling the season ticket base would be awesome but I don't see it happening.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Does anyone else have a fear that last year could have been a fluke? Like maybe we won't be as good defensively and our offense still won't come around?

Maybe I'm conditioned to feel usf basketball will be bad, but in the back of my mind I feel we might be set up for the upset.

Just a feeling...maybe it's just gas.

You've been around USF hoops long enough to know that it always has the potential to kick you in the ass, even this new, improved version .... Lost a lot of leadership and paint presence with RAJ and we'll have to see how they make up for it.