• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oracle: Letter to the Editor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Are you ******* serious? Who the hell is talking about expenditures? The whole argument is whether success on the field translates into more applicants and a higher profile. Just wave the white flag already. Pull a BJ and chuck it out of bounds on 4th down.

Did you just completely ignore every single study? Winning = more applicants. More applicants = better students.

I did genius. in the first quote you responded to.

BTW if we wanted to improve our academic standing then I would suggest paying merit scholars the $16M in school funds we spend on athletics. that would draw much better students. that and bright futures is how UF has improved their reputation.

how do you explain the best academic schools in almost every conference have the worst football programs? vandy? duke? northwestern? shouldn't the reverse be true?

So your argument is:

1) If we want to raise our academic profile, we should spend money on academics?

2) Teenagers are in no way influenced by the prospect of attending a nationally recognized school with the possibility of seeing a national championship in a marquee sport?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Are you ******* serious? Who the hell is talking about expenditures? The whole argument is whether success on the field translates into more applicants and a higher profile. Just wave the white flag already. Pull a BJ and chuck it out of bounds on 4th down.

Did you just completely ignore every single study? Winning = more applicants. More applicants = better students.

I did genius. in the first quote you responded to.

BTW if we wanted to improve our academic standing then I would suggest paying merit scholars the $16M in school funds we spend on athletics. that would draw much better students. that and bright futures is how UF has improved their reputation.

how do you explain the best academic schools in almost every conference have the worst football programs? vandy? duke? northwestern? shouldn't the reverse be true?

So your argument is:

1) If we want to raise our academic profile, we should spend money on academics?

2) Teenagers are in no way influenced by the prospect of attending a nationally recognized school with the possibility of seeing a national championship in a marquee sport?

no smart teenagers are not influenced by alabama's national championships.they'd rather go to a school that will provide them a great education . not one that spends over $100M on athletics.

OU has won national championships going back to the 50's. they are not in the ivy league yet. it's ridiculous to think athletic success has anything to do with academic standing. that's something the ncca propagates so schools invest millions upon millions in amatuer athletics.

there is a reason why the ivys decided to forgo big time college sports when they had the chance. it wasn't because they thought their academic reputation would be damaged.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Ok, you win. I've been proven wrong.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

What was this thread about again?

• Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Tampa will never be a college town. It is too big and too spread out. Temple Terrace on the other hand can be and is largely already painted Green and Gold. We just have to carve out our territory in Tampa (from 275 to I75, and from I4 up to New Tampa).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Days Won:  0

Some of you must live in a bubble if you think college football is what makes or breaks a school.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Can we please stop quoting these massive conversation bubbles? Just delete everything but the last comment youre responding to.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Can we please stop quoting these massive conversation bubbles? Just delete everything but the last comment youre responding to.

Amen!!!

Oh, are we still 2-3 ?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

i don't think anyone is really thinking bama will be an ivy league status academically, probably was more of a saying really.

but throw out all those private schools - rice, tulane, vandy, northwestern, duke...smaller enrollments as it is, even miami is a smaller school like that (where football was an afterthought until schnelly came along). apples to oranges.

i think with some schools, they just have the establishment factor going to where they have the alumni base and offered the types of programs that developed higher paying careers (and required higher grades to get into in the first place). thus, more deep-pocketed alumni, even if not very numerous. therefore, they don't necessarily have ridiculous athletics programs, but may have a few that stand out (rice has great baseball, vandy too and hoops, duke hoops/lax) because they spend their money on the academics and attract a certain type of student in the first place.

schools like alabama, oklahoma, florida, lsu....they can all have good academics...for public state schools, and some have risen above others, but their football is driving that money.

basically - there's no wrong answer, just more than one way to raise your academic standards.