• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oracle: Letter to the Editor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.usforacle.com/letter-to-the-editor-loss-against-fsu-1.2771563

After witnessing the loss of USF to FSU, I felt compelled to write this quick tid-bit on my perspective of football’s impact on USF.

The consequences of a losing football team:

1. Prepare to see more students wearing other schools’ athletic gear, primarily in-state schools such as University of Florida and Florida State University. Prospective athletes and students touring USF will see

this and reconsider applying to a university whose students do not support our school, regardless of any academic ranking we might have. This in turn will downgrade the quality of incoming students, who revert to identifying USF as a “safety school.â€

2. Alumni are becoming impatient, investing time, money and emotional energy into a collegiate team that is often more disappointing than not, and will reconsider diverting their resources away from a program that does not invest it in a logical manner.

3. Tampa will continue to be dominated by the influx of foreign alumni that reside here, preventing Tampa from being a college town that supports USF. Raymond James Stadium will never be home to the Bulls ever again, and will forever be dominated by colors other than green and gold.

4. Football is the greatest advertisement for any university in the South. It’s from national attention of collegiate sports that spark the interests of young people, who in turn follow teams till they are old enough to apply to the universities they admire. For USF, a school so obsessed about its image as a national

powerhouse for superior research and impact, the consequences will be brutal. While football should

be no reflection of the academic integrity of a school, living in the South makes it a quality.

How to help solve this problem:

1. USF students must be proactive in their support for their university. Fickle allegiances cannot exist. Students must understand that as a university that’s half the age of schools like FSU and UF, there’s more pressure for us to represent the green and gold. Wearing collegiate gear that contains spears and gator heads is unacceptable, and should be greatly discouraged.

2. The USF football team. They deserve better, and our fan base deserves better. We’ve been stagnant for too long, and those murmurs have become outcries for change. We shouldn’t reward failure with contract extensions.

3. Tampa needs to support its flagship university with more intensity. For USF to thrive, Tampa must wave with fervent allegiance to the green and gold. Prospective students do not want to attend a university whose host town is not overwhelmingly receptive to its centerpiece.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Agreed. Nothing is going to happen though. I am doing my part. Wear G&G almost everywhere I go(Except work), have season tickets, go to every game, and go to as many other athletic events as possible.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

http://www.usforacle...t-fsu-1.2771563

After witnessing the loss of USF to FSU, I felt compelled to write this quick tid-bit on my perspective of football’s impact on USF.

1. Prepare to see more students wearing other schools’ athletic gear, primarily in-state schools such as University of Florida and Florida State University. Prospective athletes and students touring USF will see

this and reconsider applying to a university whose students do not support our school, regardless of any academic ranking we might have. This in turn will downgrade the quality of incoming students, who revert to identifying USF as a “safety school.â€

2. Alumni are becoming impatient, investing time, money and emotional energy into a collegiate team that is often more disappointing than not, and will reconsider diverting their resources away from a program that does not invest it in a logical manner.

3. Tampa will continue to be dominated by the influx of foreign alumni that reside here, preventing Tampa from being a college town that supports USF. Raymond James Stadium will never be home to the Bulls ever again, and will forever be dominated by colors other than green and gold.

4. Football is the greatest advertisement for any university in the South. It’s from national attention of collegiate sports that spark the interests of young people, who in turn follow teams till they are old enough to apply to the universities they admire. For USF, a school so obsessed about its image as a national

powerhouse for superior research and impact, the consequences will be brutal. While football should

be no reflection of the academic integrity of a school, living in the South makes it a quality.

1. USF students must be proactive in their support for their university. Fickle allegiances cannot exist. Students must understand that as a university that’s half the age of schools like FSU and UF, there’s more pressure for us to represent the green and gold. Wearing collegiate gear that contains spears and gator heads is unacceptable, and should be greatly discouraged.

2. The USF football team. They deserve better, and our fan base deserves better. We’ve been stagnant for too long, and those murmurs have become outcries for change. We shouldn’t reward failure with contract extensions.

3. Tampa needs to support its flagship university with more intensity. For USF to thrive, Tampa must wave with fervent allegiance to the green and gold. Prospective students do not want to attend a university whose host town is not overwhelmingly receptive to its centerpiece.

athletics have nothing to do with academics. flutie effect has been proven wrong time and again. if it were the case alabama would be harvard.

BTW if we wanted to improve our academic standing then I would suggest paying merit scholars the $16M in school funds we spend on athletics. that would draw much better students. that and bright futures is how UF has improved their reputation.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

I do know that we saw a huge increase in applications after the 2007 season. Not sure about the quality of students applying, but prospective students noticed.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I do know that we saw a huge increase in applications after the 2007 season. Not sure about the quality of students applying, but prospective students noticed.

sorry that may have happened but it's not correlated to athletic success. boston college thought so after flutie miracle but they had an even bigger increase in apps after going 4-7 a couple of years later.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

If we wanted to improve our academic rep we wouldn't let in so many idiots. I cannot believe how many dumb ass people there are here.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

athletics have nothing to do with academics. flutie effect has been proven wrong time and again. if it were the case alabama would be harvard.

BTW if we wanted to improve our academic standing then I would suggest paying merit scholars the $16M in school funds we spend on athletics. that would draw much better students. that and bright futures is how UF has improved their reputation.

I am not going to get into a pi$$ing contest with you. BUT, how can you say that you are a supporter of USF athletics and say stuff like this all of the time? You constantly comment on how the amount of money is ridiculous. You are as clear a contradiction as possible.

• Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  0

Fire Holtz.

Bring in competent coaching that has ties to Florida recruiting.

The end.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

1. There is some truth to this. But it isn't like we have 15 5 stars attending the school now.

2. While it may be true that some people back off on donations, I don't see how USF Athletics hasn't invested wisely. 20/20 hindsight is perfect, but on the hire of Skip at the time I think the big donor people were happy.

3. I believe that at an alumni event Pres Genshaft mentioned about 160,000 alums living in the 5 county area. Unfortunately many of them graduated before football. How many graduate each year? A chunk of those will stay in the area and become/stay Bulls fans.

4. I'm sure when faced with going to Princeton or going to Alabama, some smart geeky type guy makes the choice of Alabama because of their football program. Give me a break. Sure football helps with name recognition on some level, but people that are smart enough to do research or become doctors are smart enough to overlook a mediocre football team when choosing a university.

:2cents:

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2007/01/flutie_effect

http://espn.go.com/boston/ncf/story/_/page/heisman-boston-week7/boston-college-eagles-frank-spaziani-affirms-doug-flutie-effect

Pretty sure the exact opposite is true. The "Flutie Effect" has been proven correct in multiple studies.

Edited by JTrue